Do you like the new sprint schedule and rules?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Do you like the revised sprint schedule and rules?

I find it much better than before
45%
My opinion has not changed
3%
I hate the nature of sprint weekends
52%

Total votes: 33

BalazsSzaboF1

Do you like the new sprint schedule and rules?

Last edited by BalazsSzaboF1 on 09 May 2024, 07:19, edited 1 time in total.

Vanja #66

Re: Do you like the new sprint schedule and rules?

A poll would be great here, Balasz! :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

I don't like the sprints anyway - they're playing to the short attention span "boring, entertain me now!" types, frankly.

But if we must have them, the current system is better - allowing different parc ferme periods makes sense as the two races are different formats with different set up requirements.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Watto
Watto

Not a fan

But if they are to have them I wonder if they could get away with a little more FP, Say like 3 x 30 minutes 2 before the sprint quali 1 post the sprint before main quali. Still make it a tight .

But I suspect after this weekend they are happy with it it probably created the unpredictability the FIA wanted in teams not nailing their setup.

Sevach
Sevach

It's #better, led to some unpredictability, still not a fan overall.

JordanMugen

It's better than before, you could skip all the sprints and just tune in for the usual qualifying and race since they have no direct bearing on the standard qualifying and Grand Prix sessions. :)

I think still one qualifying > reverse grid Sprint > Grand Prix grid based on qualifying, would provide the maximum level of amusement. :wink:

Wouter

I don't like the sprint weekends at all.
This new schedule is better because the Parc Fermé rules. I would prefer a 90 min FP1.
According to ESPN in the whole USA there were only 800 000 people watching the sprintrace from 335 million citizens.
The Power of Dreams!

Big Tea

Not a fan , but it seems they are here to stay so I would like to see something different to the main race other than just the tyres.
Possibly try unrestricted DRS or no DRS at all, or where possible a slight difference to the track, like level off one corner or add another to give it a different feel.
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PapayaFan481
PapayaFan481

I have to admit, I'm warming to them. The new format is definitely a massive improvement in my eyes.

The only change I would make is to allow teams to have a partially built up spare chassis on sprint weekends, just in case they have a big crash during the Sprint race that would otherwise rule them out of GP Quali.

basti313
basti313

Massive improvement, this is the logical way how it should have been from the beginning. Instead of a boring FP2 and 3 we get the SQ and Sprint. Every weekend should be like this.
I am surprised that people here argument with viewers. FP2 and 3 had literally NO viewers and last year they were not even in US TV. I was surprised this year that they were showing FP3 in the US. I watched Saudi FP3 in the gym, but I was the only one...everyone else wanted some college basketball recaps on the screens.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Farnborough
Farnborough

At first sceptical, but like to see the cars in competition more.

Improved by change in Parc Fermè rules to be more conventional. The jeopardy in fixed setup before could make for interesting weekend ... seems too much for some ... but did give shifted approach and outcome. False, or not, did make for knife edge outcome.

Quite a few suggestions have been made to change points, reverse grid or similar.

A suggestion that could give us more racing:- sprint Q as normal, then seperate (by driver's championship positions) into two sprint races.
First one for second 10 in championship, then immediately followed by the first 10 in the race schedule.

Normal sprint points for BOTH sprint races given out.

The whole race schedule then allows the less seen drivers teams (back of field tv coverage) to be in front of camera exclusively, promotes points into those in that group from real racing (rather than extending points scale for GP) and will also change drivers from first to second sprint inclusion based on championship positions at that weekend.

Extra race, more commercial exposure, different front of field drivers come more to prominence, fosters allegiance of non front driving exposure.

NL_Fer
NL_Fer

It’s better for the teams, but for the viewer it’s still a bit weird. I even think for a visitor starting with a race immediately isn’t great, usually getting to the location, finding your spot and settling in is an exhausting hassle in itself. Starting with a less intense FP is much more relaxed.

IMO they should skip sprint shootout and just race on Friday afternoon, than Saturday has FP+Q and parc ferme.

Waz
Waz

Lifting parc ferme has made things a bit more interesting, but I just don't like the idea that 6 randomly selected GPs carry so much more weight in the Championships, and it's something I won't get passed.

So I still don't like Sprint weekends.

mclaren111

Hate Sprint BS...

TFSA

I'd still say that the best thing they could do was to have one qualifying sessions that applies to both races.

Reason? Because it puts more emphasis on having a quicker qualifying car/setup. Hence, it actually shakes things up a bit in a good way.

And it also gives us two Free Practice sessions instead of one. I'm not a fan of the order being shaken up by lack of practice-sessions.

My preferred weekend:
Friday: FP1 + FP2
Saturday: Qualifying (one sessions for both formats) + Sprint race
Sunday: Grand Prix