2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Stu

Re: 2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

Sainz gets a penalty for the collision with Piastri.
Did Stroll pick one up for “leaving the track & gaining an advantage” when passing Albon? He had already received his third warning for exceeding track limits, so a penalty should be a slam-dunk (potentially two penalties to be awarded??).
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Of more concern to me is the placing of that bollard and its risk, once free, to others when loose.

It came up and over the driver protection :shock: and should never be in place on a race track. That's incompetence in risk assessment and management from track inspection etc.

Regardless of which driver hit it, that should never happen. If it had transported further along the straight before falling off, then the risk goes much much higher.

It can pass through the cockpit protection longways, that should be of significant concern to FIA and all parties in these races.

No driver should experience that coming towards them, it should never be part of track architecture.

Cs98
Cs98

bluechris wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:34
Cs98 wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:43
bluechris wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:41

I am still trying to find a video to back this up but no luck. In my eyes Perez incident was a near miss so he must got the damage somewhere else if it's not snake oil from RB.
It wasn't Perez, it was when he hit the bollard according to Horner.
Ah ok so it was his own mistake, so i don't understand the excuses of why he had no pace after.
Because people are not just interested in this race, but rather the implications for future races looking at relative pace.

avantman
avantman

bluechris wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:34
Cs98 wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:43
bluechris wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:41

I am still trying to find a video to back this up but no luck. In my eyes Perez incident was a near miss so he must got the damage somewhere else if it's not snake oil from RB.
It wasn't Perez, it was when he hit the bollard according to Horner.
Ah ok so it was his own mistake, so i don't understand the excuses of why he had no pace after.
You might be confusing two words 'excuse' and 'explanation'.

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Asked specifically though about Horner’s suggestions of his pace drop being down to damage, Verstappen replied: “It didn't feel different, so I don't know. Maybe it was already damaged. I don't know. I mean I hit that thing and then my pace was the same so I didn't really know if there was damage.”

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... /10607603/

Though I’m relieved that in addition of the technical topics of this forum we also have people spiritually connected with the driver and the car and can assess the performance drop at any given time. =D>

venkyhere
venkyhere

IntrinsicVoid wrote:
06 May 2024, 13:05
Asked specifically though about Horner’s suggestions of his pace drop being down to damage, Verstappen replied: “It didn't feel different, so I don't know. Maybe it was already damaged. I don't know. I mean I hit that thing and then my pace was the same so I didn't really know if there was damage.”

Though I’m relieved that in addition of the technical topics of this forum we also have people spiritually connected with the driver and the car and can assess the performance drop at any given time. =D>
When quoting from an article, please quote all the relevant parts, not just the part that suits a particular narrative or provides a snippet of ammunition to mock fellow members :

Red Bull later explained that Verstappen’s remarks about the damage had come before he had seen the car – with it fairly obvious that there was damage.
Horner had explained that its race data showed Verstappen was well down in performance through Turn 1, which would have accounted for the advantage that Norris had.
“He lost two-and-a-half-tenths in Turn 1 every lap,” he said. “Whether that was because of the damage, when you actually see the pictures of what was missing, it wasn't designed like that."
Furthermore, Verstappen gave a quote in the Red Bull press release later in the evening clarifying how clear the damage was.
“When we took the car back to the garage, we also found that the floor was damaged and had a hole in which could have been picked up from hitting the cone,” he remarked.

Many of us thought it was just the way they setup the car poorly to work with H, but when there is confirmation of floor damage and words like 'hole' etc used, the kind of sensitivity these machines have to the flow underneath is more likely to be aggravating the already poor H tyre grip+balance and masquerading as 'just more low grip and more front-v-rear balance issues' to the driver.

I think when we are presented data which is contrary to our opinion, we should be open to corrections.

Emag
Emag

To me it looks like the floor edge looks exactly the same before it hits the ground and after it hits the ground. This seemingly "big damage" doesn't explain the lack of pace in the sprint though. Max was barely faster than Charles, if faster at all.

It was an off weekend by RedBull for one reason or another, but to put so much credit to this "damage" is ridiculous. Max only pulled 1.5s on Piastri before he hit the bollard. Pace was bad before and it was bad after, as per Max's words.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

Some thoughts.

Perez dropped the ball. It is the start of his annual turn in form.

On a percentage , how much was this on merit. I'd say 100%. Max crashed into the cone himself. And he had a chance to pass and didn't

chrisc90

Slo-mo clip of the Max damage.

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

venkyhere wrote:
06 May 2024, 14:36
IntrinsicVoid wrote:
06 May 2024, 13:05

When quoting from an article, please quote all the relevant parts, not just the part that suits a particular narrative or provides a snippet of ammunition to mock fellow members :

Red Bull later explained that Verstappen’s remarks about the damage had come before he had seen the car – with it fairly obvious that there was damage.
Horner had explained that its race data showed Verstappen was well down in performance through Turn 1, which would have accounted for the advantage that Norris had.
“He lost two-and-a-half-tenths in Turn 1 every lap,” he said. “Whether that was because of the damage, when you actually see the pictures of what was missing, it wasn't designed like that."
Furthermore, Verstappen gave a quote in the Red Bull press release later in the evening clarifying how clear the damage was.
“When we took the car back to the garage, we also found that the floor was damaged and had a hole in which could have been picked up from hitting the cone,” he remarked.

Many of us thought it was just the way they setup the car poorly to work with H, but when there is confirmation of floor damage and words like 'hole' etc used, the kind of sensitivity these machines have to the flow underneath is more likely to be aggravating the already poor H tyre grip+balance and masquerading as 'just more low grip and more front-v-rear balance issues' to the driver.

I think when we are presented data which is contrary to our opinion, we should be open to corrections.
Don’t get me wrong, my intention was to underline what Max felt after the damage. The way I see it this goes more with the narrative that RB didn’t have the usual balance which is also backed by the pace even before the damage.

Dunlay
Dunlay

Emag wrote:
06 May 2024, 14:38
To me it looks like the floor edge looks exactly the same before it hits the ground and after it hits the ground. This seemingly "big damage" doesn't explain the lack of pace in the sprint though. Max was barely faster than Charles, if faster at all.

It was an off weekend by RedBull for one reason or another, but to put so much credit to this "damage" is ridiculous. Max only pulled 1.5s on Piastri before he hit the bollard. Pace was bad before and it was bad after, as per Max's words.
It was quite a hit when the car landed on the bollar mounting. An already struggling balance, coupled with a hit to the diffuser, no wonder would have taken decent performance out of the car. Self inflicted, but nevertheless, undeniable loss of performance to the car.

TeamKoolGreen
TeamKoolGreen

venkyhere wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:32
After looking at that floor-damage clip, my perspective has changed completely.
Notwithstanding the RB20 config leading to non-deal balance on H tyres, Max drove almost 2/3rd the laps with underfloor damage and poor tyre grip, and still maintained P2. Hats off.
So Max/RedBull fans can breath a sigh of relief -
"VER wasn't relegated to P2 purely on pace delta, the car was injured" 8)
That doesn't mean Landos win wasn't 100% on merit. Hitting the bollard was Max's mistake.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Stu wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:57
Sainz gets a penalty for the collision with Piastri.
Absolutely unbelievable.

First Piastri is simply allowed to push Sainz off. Blatantly, textbook illegal move.

Total farce.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

avantman wrote:
06 May 2024, 11:36
Max had significant damage to his diffuser throat. Easily worth 0.2-0.3s if not more. It could've and should've been a lot closer between them for P1. Can't wait for Imola, where both Max and Lando performed wonders being superb historically.
Lando was clearly faster than Max before he got any damage. Red Bull simply had an off day and Mclaren(or at least Norris' upgraded one) were perfectly locked in.

Waz
Waz

Farnborough wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:58
Of more concern to me is the placing of that bollard and its risk, once free, to others when loose.

It came up and over the driver protection :shock: and should never be in place on a race track. That's incompetence in risk assessment and management from track inspection etc.

Regardless of which driver hit it, that should never happen. If it had transported further along the straight before falling off, then the risk goes much much higher.

It can pass through the cockpit protection longways, that should be of significant concern to FIA and all parties in these races.

No driver should experience that coming towards them, it should never be part of track architecture.
It's a lightweight piece of plastic. The marshall picked it up like nothing.

The driver's main concern was a free Safety Car pitstop, although that chunk of plastic isn't something you want lodged in the floor or anything similar.