2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Wouter

Re: 2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

Cs98 wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:30
dialtone wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:24
101FlyingDutchman wrote:
06 May 2024, 00:17
You’re only telling one part of the story here. NOR was easily faster than PER but the RB has always had great traction and top speed. Just before PER pitted, Lando closed up with ease. And after that NOR ended up setting fastest laps again with ease. 0.4s quicker than PIA and SAI. And generally faster than anyone on hards. He was just protecting his tyres as a normal pass on Perez would have been hard
I'm just telling the story, he couldn't pass PER on track. When PIA passed LEC it was in large part thanks to traction issues out of T16 for Ferrari through this weekend, are you pointing that out as well? OR that PIA couldn't get away from LEC once his tires were up to temperature? If you are waiting to evaluate cars only when they are perfect... it's a long wait.
We are not evaluating the McLaren when it's "perfect", we are just stating the obvious, once Perez pitted Norris was immediately the fastest car on track on the medium. The fact that he did not have the overtaking delta on a RB car with a lot of straight line speed is not that surprising. Your claim he was "certainly not the fastest on medium" is one which has no backing.
The Power of Dreams!

basti313
basti313

How quick was Perez after the stop? If I remember it correctly, he was already virtually behind Norris before the SC came? Same for Sainz and Piastri, they had only one lap before the SC, right?

I think the discussion on overtaking Perez does not make sense...
Don`t russel the hamster!

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

basti313 wrote:
07 May 2024, 10:35
How quick was Perez after the stop? If I remember it correctly, he was already virtually behind Norris before the SC came? Same for Sainz and Piastri, they had only one lap before the SC, right?

Agreed. If no safety car, NOR probably would have had to overtake VER, LEC, SAI, PIA on track. A tall order really as DRS passes were marginal as evidenced by many

basti313
basti313

101FlyingDutchman wrote:
07 May 2024, 11:50
basti313 wrote:
07 May 2024, 10:35

Agreed. If no safety car, NOR probably would have had to overtake VER, LEC, SAI, PIA on track. A tall order really as DRS passes were marginal as evidenced by many
Yep. In the end the big question is, how the times were and for how long he could have kept the pace on the Medium to extend the stint. I do not have access at the moment to the times, but I remember he was remarkably quick. So there is still the chance that Pia and Sai would have their fight making them loose to Nor even without the SC. That may have brought it down to Lec and Ver.
Still...there was a 9sec gap to Ver. Without a SC impossible to catch him just from the gap.

I disagree on the overtaking discussion above. We saw in the mid field, that overtaking was possible starting from a 0.5sec pace difference with ease. Hamilton had issues to overtake the Haas, but we saw afterwards, that he could not build a gap quickly...so there was not much of pace difference, especially taking into account that the Haas still falls apart on tire usage once in DRS range. So I do not see that overtakes would have been super difficult.
Don`t russel the hamster!

langedweil

Seanspeed wrote:
06 May 2024, 15:36
Stu wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:57
Sainz gets a penalty for the collision with Piastri.
Absolutely unbelievable.
First Piastri is simply allowed to push Sainz off. Blatantly, textbook illegal move.
Total farce.
Well, at least he did not slide/drift into him?
Imho this is racing .. Pia easily held the corner, Sai was just whining and used do-or-die in T17 to pass taking out a FW.
But I guess a lot of ppl will not agree .. which is fine.
HuggaWugga !

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

langedweil wrote:
07 May 2024, 17:00
Seanspeed wrote:
Stu wrote:
Absolutely unbelievable.
First Piastri is simply allowed to push Sainz off. Blatantly, textbook illegal move.
Total farce.
Imho this is racing .. Pia easily held the corner, Sai was just whining and used do-or-die in T17 to pass taking out a FW.
I’d agree. I think both manoeuvres were okay from PIA and SAI. Don’t think it should have been a penalty for SAI. However I think the predominant thought here is: slightly out of control with the car (locking rear wheels) and causing damage required a penalty. PIA however didn’t open the steering wheel, didn’t understeer, kept the line through the corner in a controlled manner.
We should encourage hard but fair racing. I’m no fan of the steering wheel opening and running someone out of room

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

langedweil wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
Stu wrote:
Absolutely unbelievable.
Total farce.
The point isn't about 'holding the corner'. The point is that you CANNOT RUN OTHER DRIVERS OFF THE TRACK.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp? Sainz had perfectly earned the right to room there, undeniably. He was literally well ahead going into the corner. But Piastri only held position cuz he simply pushed Sainz off. It's dangerous, unsportsmanlike, and most importantly - blatantly against the rules.

Of course Sainz was mad. And no, Sainz did not 'drift into' Piastri. Piastri turned in on Sainz when Sainz was still in the way. This was way less egregious than what Piastri did.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I know there are not to many people who care about Stroll here but from a technical point of view, why did he get a penalty for this? Albon clearly did not leave a car's width.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:I know there are not to many people who care about Stroll here but from a technical point of view, why did he get a penalty for this? Albon clearly did not leave a car's width.

Stewards were on drugs last weekend and left an magic 8 ball to make decisions.

ringo

AR3-GP wrote:
07 May 2024, 21:43
I know there are not to many people who care about Stroll here but from a technical point of view, why did he get a penalty for this? Albon clearly did not leave a car's width.

The penalty was given because if stroll planned to stay between the whitelines he would not have been carrying so much speed to overtake Albon. He really had two choices: slow down and not pass because there is no space to fit into. Or fly arounf the outside like he did but keep 1 or 4 tyres in the track. The last choice is basically a gamble.
For Sure!!

dialtone
dialtone

ringo wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:
07 May 2024, 21:43

The penalty was given because if stroll planned to stay between the whitelines he would not have been carrying so much speed to overtake Albon. He really had two choices: slow down and not pass because there is no space to fit into. Or fly arounf the outside like he did but keep 1 or 4 tyres in the track. The last choice is basically a gamble.
He was fully alongside and by rule he’s entitled to have space to stay on track. That space wasn’t given.

clownfish
clownfish

Seanspeed wrote:
07 May 2024, 21:09
langedweil wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:

Absolutely unbelievable.
Total farce.
The point isn't about 'holding the corner'. The point is that you CANNOT RUN OTHER DRIVERS OFF THE TRACK.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp? Sainz had perfectly earned the right to room there, undeniably. He was literally well ahead going into the corner. But Piastri only held position cuz he simply pushed Sainz off. It's dangerous, unsportsmanlike, and most importantly - blatantly against the rules.

Of course Sainz was mad. And no, Sainz did not 'drift into' Piastri. Piastri turned in on Sainz when Sainz was still in the way. This was way less egregious than what Piastri did.
But you can run other drivers off the track now. This is the exact point Brad Philpot and others have repeatedly raised since Verstappen started doing it a lot in 2021*. It's a bullshit rule, it really is. I hate it. It's spoiled the racing entirely for me.

* Yes it happened occasionally before this but it was controversial then, not commonplace.

SiLo

clownfish wrote:
08 May 2024, 10:25
But you can run other drivers off the track now. This is the exact point Brad Philpot and others have repeatedly raised since Verstappen started doing it a lot in 2021*. It's a bullshit rule, it really is. I hate it. It's spoiled the racing entirely for me.

* Yes it happened occasionally before this but it was controversial then, not commonplace.
I completely agree. For years I rarely saw drivers do it, and if they did they had to give the position back or get a penalty. It's not clean racing at all and I wish they would crack down on it. Forcing another driver into evasive action isn't the best, but I'm ok with it as long as they can do it within the confines of the track.
Felipe Baby!

Sieper

Verstappen this, Verstappen that. You only need to watch back in this one race weekend to get plenty of examples. Don’t be so obvious.

langedweil

Seanspeed wrote:
07 May 2024, 21:09
langedweil wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:

Absolutely unbelievable.
Total farce.

You can scream whatever you want and don't understand why someone doesn't share your view, it's just no more than an opinion as well.
Apparently it was not against those rules as it was investigated and judged a nothingburger.
And Sai was rightly punished as he did made contact and finished someone else's race. If Sai was hit and lost his FW, Pia would definately be punished, but he would finish way outside the points as well.
I hate this entitlement racing tbh
HuggaWugga !