2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
Cs98
Cs98

Re: 2024 Miami Grand Prix - Miami Intl. Autodrome, May 03 - 05

Seanspeed wrote:
07 May 2024, 21:09
langedweil wrote:
07 May 2024, 17:00
Seanspeed wrote:
06 May 2024, 15:36

Absolutely unbelievable.
First Piastri is simply allowed to push Sainz off. Blatantly, textbook illegal move.
Total farce.
Well, at least he did not slide/drift into him?
Imho this is racing .. Pia easily held the corner, Sai was just whining and used do-or-die in T17 to pass taking out a FW.
But I guess a lot of ppl will not agree .. which is fine.
The point isn't about 'holding the corner'. The point is that you CANNOT RUN OTHER DRIVERS OFF THE TRACK.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp? Sainz had perfectly earned the right to room there, undeniably. He was literally well ahead going into the corner. But Piastri only held position cuz he simply pushed Sainz off. It's dangerous, unsportsmanlike, and most importantly - blatantly against the rules.

Of course Sainz was mad. And no, Sainz did not 'drift into' Piastri. Piastri turned in on Sainz when Sainz was still in the way. This was way less egregious than what Piastri did.
Piastri was ahead from the apex, hence he does not have to leave room to a car overtaking on the outside. Case closed.

dialtone
dialtone

langedweil wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
07 May 2024, 21:09
langedweil wrote:
07 May 2024, 17:00
Well, at least he did not slide/drift into him?
Imho this is racing .. Pia easily held the corner, Sai was just whining and used do-or-die in T17 to pass taking out a FW.
But I guess a lot of ppl will not agree .. which is fine.
The point isn't about 'holding the corner'. The point is that you CANNOT RUN OTHER DRIVERS OFF THE TRACK.

Why is this so hard for people to grasp? Sainz had perfectly earned the right to room there, undeniably. He was literally well ahead going into the corner. But Piastri only held position cuz he simply pushed Sainz off. It's dangerous, unsportsmanlike, and most importantly - blatantly against the rules.

Of course Sainz was mad. And no, Sainz did not 'drift into' Piastri. Piastri turned in on Sainz when Sainz was still in the way. This was way less egregious than what Piastri did.
You can scream whatever you want and don't understand why someone doesn't share your view, it's just no more than an opinion as well.
Apparently it was not against those rules as it was investigated and judged a nothingburger.
And Sai was rightly punished as he did made contact and finished someone else's race. If Sai was hit and lost his FW, Pia would definately be punished, but he would finish way outside the points as well.
I hate this entitlement racing tbh
Piastri did hit Sainz and was just lucky that contact didn’t cause damage but the hit was of similar intensity.

TFSA

Seanspeed wrote:
Stu wrote:
06 May 2024, 12:57
Sainz gets a penalty for the collision with Piastri.
Absolutely unbelievable.

First Piastri is simply allowed to push Sainz off. Blatantly, textbook illegal move.

Total farce.
Textbook legal move actually.

Sainz was attempting an outside overtake.

For an outside overtake, you have to be fully ahead of the other car AFTER you've passed the apex in order to be entitled to space.

While Sainz was momentarily ahead going into the corner, Piastri managed to re-overtake him before they passed the apex. As such, Sainz is not entitled to space, because he's not ahead after the apex. Piastri can still get a penalty in the given situation though, if he himself ran of the track. But he managed to keep it on the track.

dialtone
dialtone

TFSA wrote:
Seanspeed wrote:
Stu wrote:
Absolutely unbelievable.

Total farce.
Textbook legal move actually.

Sainz was attempting an outside overtake.

For an outside overtake, you have to be fully ahead of the other car AFTER you've passed the apex in order to be entitled to space.

While Sainz was momentarily ahead going into the corner, Piastri managed to re-overtake him before they passed the apex. As such, Sainz is not entitled to space, because he's not ahead after the apex. Piastri can still get a penalty in the given situation though, if he himself ran of the track. But he managed to keep it on the track.
Same is true for sainz v piastri later though. Both made contact, both missed the apex. Only difference is that piastri decided to turn in, with the hope that sainz was going longer and he could cut to the inside.

Neither penalty made sense unless you give both and if you give the first, the 2nd doesn’t exist.

TFSA

dialtone wrote:
08 May 2024, 17:16
Same is true for sainz v piastri later though. Both made contact, both missed the apex. Only difference is that piastri decided to turn in, with the hope that sainz was going longer and he could cut to the inside.

Neither penalty made sense unless you give both and if you give the first, the 2nd doesn’t exist.
You're forgetting one crucial difference actually: who the overtaking car is.

In both of those incidents, Sainz is the overtaking driver, with Piastri having track position. Piastri was not making an overtake on Sainz. Sainz getting slightly ahead in the first incident doesn't swap the roles - he's still the driver performing the overtake.

As such, the same is not true. As the overtaking driver, Sainz has a higher degree of responsibility in the interaction. Remember what the guidelines say: an overtake must be performed in a safe and controlled manner.
Last edited by TFSA on 08 May 2024, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

dialtone
dialtone

TFSA wrote:
dialtone wrote:
08 May 2024, 17:16

You're forgetting who the overtaking car is. In both of those cases, Sainz is the overtaking driver, with Piastri having track position. As such, the same is not true. As the overtaking driver, Sainz has a higher degree of responsibility in the interaction. Remember what the guidelines say: an overtake must be performed in a safe and controlled manner.
Nothing unsafe in what Sainz did. Nobody was pushed off track and Piastri had LOADS of space to stay on track.

Sainz was ahead at the apex so Piastri was the car behind manouvering to try and pass again after the corner and didn’t leave space causing contact by turning in.

The only reason why sainz got a penalty is because the front wing if piastri was broken and McL probably protested. Senseless penalty.

TFSA

dialtone wrote:
08 May 2024, 19:25

Nothing unsafe in what Sainz did. Nobody was pushed off track and Piastri had LOADS of space to stay on track.

Sainz was ahead at the apex so Piastri was the car behind manouvering to try and pass again after the corner and didn’t leave space causing contact by turning in.

The only reason why sainz got a penalty is because the front wing if piastri was broken and McL probably protested. Senseless penalty.
Safe AND controlled. Even if it wasn't unsafe, it still needs to be controlled.

Stewards claimed he had a slide on his rear, and that caused the collision. I find it hard to see on the camera, but they have better angles available. If you have a slide, you're not in control. As such, it's perfectly reasonable for them to dish out a penalty for not being in control.

Was it perhaps a bit harsh? Maybe. But not unreasonable. Piastri was still considered the driver with track position, so he's not obliged to use all the space. Sainz has to follow his line - not the other way around.
Last edited by Stu on 10 May 2024, 07:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Irrelevant 2021 content removed

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

FOM deleted the stroll video.

dialtone
dialtone

They were rightfully getting lots of hate there.

Stewards will change tune next race and swing all to the other way.

Sevach
Sevach

Seanspeed wrote:
Stu wrote:
Absolutely unbelievable.

Total farce.
Magnussen did this in the sprint and got penalyzed.

clownfish
clownfish

Sieper wrote:
08 May 2024, 13:29
Verstappen this, Verstappen that. You only need to watch back in this one race weekend to get plenty of examples. Don’t be so obvious.
If you're replying to me, you've missed my point.

Verstappen made this move commonplace in 2021, a precedent has been established that is allowed. Other drivers have seen this and that it is very effective, and therefore also use it. Piastri in this race for example.

I don't blame them, or Max, for using every move available. It is smart racing to use every trick in the book.

My point is that the move should not be allowed by the rules.

Now, no doubt somebody will bring up a load of occasions over the years when other drivers did it. But generally if you look into it, you will see that those moves at the time were highly controversial. Hamilton on Rosberg lap 1 corner 1 in the damp US GP 2015-ish for example.

Wouter

Finally the drivers laptimes are on the McLaren site to compare with eachother.
You can choose whoever you want.

https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2024/gp/s9223 ... s/821-842/
The Power of Dreams!

Cs98
Cs98

clownfish wrote:
09 May 2024, 10:31
Sieper wrote:
08 May 2024, 13:29
Verstappen this, Verstappen that. You only need to watch back in this one race weekend to get plenty of examples. Don’t be so obvious.
If you're replying to me, you've missed my point.

Verstappen made this move commonplace in 2021, a precedent has been established that is allowed. Other drivers have seen this and that it is very effective, and therefore also use it. Piastri in this race for example.

I don't blame them, or Max, for using every move available. It is smart racing to use every trick in the book.

My point is that the move should not be allowed by the rules.

Now, no doubt somebody will bring up a load of occasions over the years when other drivers did it. But generally if you look into it, you will see that those moves at the time were highly controversial. Hamilton on Rosberg lap 1 corner 1 in the damp US GP 2015-ish for example.
The practice of squeezing the car on the outside has been commonplace for as long as I can remember, more than two decades. It was not "more controversial" before, that's just looking back at the past with rose coloured glasses. People probably complain more now in fact, in the age of social media, but it has been happening all the same for a long time. I can still see those races in the back of my head, Schumacher squeezing Montoya at Imola, Hamilton and Rosberg doing it to each other, Austin, Japan, Bahrain, Suzuka, Canada. Heck, did you watch 2016? (let me refreshen your memory https://youtu.be/lUj74hs62fM :lol: squueze fest, how many penalties? Only one, for Nico in Austria, most of them weren't even investigated). I can still remember Brundle saying there was "nothing wrong" with Schumi's squeeze in Imola during live commentary, tells you enough coming from an ex driver. The only constant is that fans will apply simple logic, when "your guy" does it to "my guy" it's terrible, but when the opposite happens it's fine. Your comment seems to be much in the same vein trying to falsely attribute this to one driver in one year. Recency bias and just regular old driver bias, no validity to your points.

kentonspr
kentonspr

Sevach wrote:
09 May 2024, 02:42
Seanspeed wrote:
Stu wrote:
Absolutely unbelievable.

Total farce.
Magnussen did this in the sprint and got penalyzed.
Piastri didn't do what KMag got penalized for which is leaving the track to gain a lasting advantage. You can see all FIA stewards decisions here - https://www.fia.com/documents/champions ... -2024-2043

Chuckjr

Wouter wrote:
09 May 2024, 10:41
Finally the drivers laptimes are on the McLaren site to compare with eachother.
You can choose whoever you want.

https://en.mclarenf-1.com/2024/gp/s9223 ... s/821-842/
That is outstanding. Thank you for the link. =D>
Watching F1 since 1986.