2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Joel709
Joel709

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

Seanspeed wrote:
04 May 2024, 01:05
It's hard to deny that the SQ2->SQ3 results were bizarre. Norris has pole position time in SQ2, but was nowhere in SQ3.

I think this will also mean sprint race pace will be very hard to guess. I dont think many teams really understand the circumstances. Hard to bet against Red Bull as always, but things could be weird.
Happened in Bahrain if I’m not mistaken with Leclerc setting the quickest in Q2?

I imagine it’s just a change in track temp along with softer compound meant everyone had to be extra careful on their outlaps which mixes it all up.

organic

We might need the imola upgrade to be a significant step with McLaren making a lot of progress it would seem

ringo

venkyhere wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:50
Seanspeed wrote:
03 May 2024, 15:33
It's an especially strange claim specifically when the Red Bull cars in particular have not been super reactive cars in the past few years, and lean more towards understeer with a super stable and predictable aerodynamic balance.

Not to mention that being able to handle oversteer-y cars was actually considered one of Lewis' biggest strengths. Just because the Mercs he had in their more dominating era weren't like this(which again goes against your other claim of this being fastest) doesn't mean it's cuz Lewis demanded it or couldn't handle things otherwise.
My claim comes from the simple theory that the car that spends the least fraction of it's laptime with steering not in a straight ahead position, is allowing for the most efficient acceleration and braking, since the sum of the durations when throttle or braking is onging whilst there is a slip angle on the tyres, is minimised. When to choose the 'moment' to release brake or apply throttle such that these two acts dont amplify the slip/slide -- that's the driver skill. A 'predicatable' non-nervous car inevitably spends more morsels of time 'waiting' before releasing brakes or before applying throttle.
Seanspeed wrote:
Generally, cars are not built for specific drivers, and I doubt designers and engineers could really design a car with such specific characteristics to only suit one driver even if they wanted to.
I never claimed that cars are specifically built for drivers. I only claimed that the way to obtain closest to minimum theoretical laptime (which is unachievable) is by setting up the car's balance to "nervous rear" where it will make direction changes and restore no-slip condition in the least possible time. Only few can 'handle' such a car, because it's like trying to decipher a signal without removing noise. It's the driver skill that makes the rear look 'rock stable' to the cameras.
Sieper wrote:
03 May 2024, 15:42
Yes. Just look at how these current regs car go through corners. It is so different than before. Another race class.
That's simply because current regs cars are ultra-wide, ultra-long and ultra-heavy. It has nothing to do with what I am talking about.
Your hypothesis is way off.
All the winning redbulls even in vettel's time were very planted and predictable. None were nervous. Watch any of Max's pole laps and see how planted the car is overall. He is not fighting the car and he is not doing micro corrections.
The fastest chasis, mechanically, has the most stability and least motion and energy wasted.
For Sure!!

Joel709
Joel709

organic wrote:
04 May 2024, 03:36
We might need the imola upgrade to be a significant step with McLaren making a lot of progress it would seem
There is no imola upgrade supposedly, likely to have little things every few races and maybe a moderate one but I don’t think we have another large one coming

Sergej
Sergej

Ferrari as well will make a leap in Imola with their upgrades.

organic

Joel709 wrote:
04 May 2024, 04:47
organic wrote:
04 May 2024, 03:36
There is no imola upgrade supposedly, likely to have little things every few races and maybe a moderate one but I don’t think we have another large one coming
According to ?

Waché said in preseason testing the plan for european races was to update at round 4 and 7. 4 was Suzuka which happened and 7 is Imola.

dia6olo
dia6olo

Seanspeed wrote:
04 May 2024, 01:05
It's hard to deny that the SQ2->SQ3 results were bizarre. Norris has pole position time in SQ2, but was nowhere in SQ3.

I think this will also mean sprint race pace will be very hard to guess. I dont think many teams really understand the circumstances. Hard to bet against Red Bull as always, but things could be weird.
I don't think they were all that bizarre, McLaren looked quick in Q2 very likely because they are generating plenty of tyre heat, maybe a little to much, it worked for the mediums but not the softs.
As for Q3 in general, I think the softs were simply a little to soft for the temperatures.
I also have a feeling McLaren could struggle a little with tyre deg in the race.
However I could see Ferrari having strong race pace...

venkyhere
venkyhere

ringo wrote:
04 May 2024, 03:37
All the winning redbulls even in vettel's time were very planted and predictable. None were nervous.
I am open to disagreements and debate. But please dont change the context. I never said "that's how Redbull cars have always have been". I only claimed that a car 'on the edge of rear grip, with a rock solid front end' (oversteery car, which I call 'nervous') is the way to setup the car as near as possible to it's theoretical laptime limit. Whether there is a driver who can actually use it as is, or whether the car needs to be 'dialled back' inorder to be practically usable, is the question.
I am sorry if the use of the word 'nervous rear' is conjuring up images of rally cars on gravel roads. In the F1 world, nervous rear doesn't mean wagging tail, just means the rear tyres spend a handful of chunks of time with high slip angle, instead of several more chunks of time with low slip angle (total time spent with rear tyres slipping is lesser in the former case) AND the front tyres suffering the least amount of slip that's physically possible.
ringo wrote:
Watch any of Max's pole laps and see how planted the car is overall. He is not fighting the car and he is not doing micro corrections.
It only looks like that because the onboards show him applying smooth inputs to steering. It's because he is extremely precise with his foot inputs and their timing, such that the car doesn't 'spill over' beyond the grip available. It's something Schumacher did as well. To the cameras, the car looks 'rock solid' with no corrective inputs by the driver. It's a testament to the skill.

It's a high-risk strategy to setup the car like this, as the tiniest of mistakes with inputs will be unforgiving, where the driver 'loses the car'. We have seen this happen so many times with LeClerc and less with Sainz, it's precisely this point, leClerc's car is setup closer to the theoretical limit (however far away it is) than Sainz's. On current form, Max isn't making the mistakes with inputs that LeClerc is making. Doesn't mean Max is immune from making the same errors with his inputs. I am sure we have seen Max make mistakes in qualifying and not make it to Q3 or make a hash of some corner and fall to something like P7 or P9 in Q3, at corners where no one else has any trouble at all.

When there is fuel in the car and when the tyres are not at their 'peak grip' and the drivers are not trying to extract the fastest laptime , a.k.a in the race, the room to accommodate tiny mistakes widens slightly, with a car setup this way. But the car is still far away from being 'predictable'. It's still a nervous car that needs to be driven in such a way as to look 'smooth'.

I am fully open to my theory being blown apart. In fact I welcome it. I will get to learn where I am wrong. My only request is to not do so with 'oh this is a Max fanboy' because I am not.

Sieper

ringo wrote:
venkyhere wrote:
03 May 2024, 17:50
Seanspeed wrote:
It's an especially strange claim specifically when the Red Bull cars in particular have not been super reactive cars in the past few years, and lean more towards understeer with a super stable and predictable aerodynamic balance.

Not to mention that being able to handle oversteer-y cars was actually considered one of Lewis' biggest strengths. Just because the Mercs he had in their more dominating era weren't like this(which again goes against your other claim of this being fastest) doesn't mean it's cuz Lewis demanded it or couldn't handle things otherwise.
My claim comes from the simple theory that the car that spends the least fraction of it's laptime with steering not in a straight ahead position, is allowing for the most efficient acceleration and braking, since the sum of the durations when throttle or braking is onging whilst there is a slip angle on the tyres, is minimised. When to choose the 'moment' to release brake or apply throttle such that these two acts dont amplify the slip/slide -- that's the driver skill. A 'predicatable' non-nervous car inevitably spends more morsels of time 'waiting' before releasing brakes or before applying throttle.
Seanspeed wrote:
Generally, cars are not built for specific drivers, and I doubt designers and engineers could really design a car with such specific characteristics to only suit one driver even if they wanted to.
I never claimed that cars are specifically built for drivers. I only claimed that the way to obtain closest to minimum theoretical laptime (which is unachievable) is by setting up the car's balance to "nervous rear" where it will make direction changes and restore no-slip condition in the least possible time. Only few can 'handle' such a car, because it's like trying to decipher a signal without removing noise. It's the driver skill that makes the rear look 'rock stable' to the cameras.
Sieper wrote:
03 May 2024, 15:42
Yes. Just look at how these current regs car go through corners. It is so different than before. Another race class.
That's simply because current regs cars are ultra-wide, ultra-long and ultra-heavy. It has nothing to do with what I am talking about.
All the winning redbulls even in vettel's time were very planted and predictable. None were nervous. Watch any of Max's pole laps and see how planted the car is overall. He is not fighting the car and he is not doing micro corrections.
The fastest chasis, mechanically, has the most stability and least motion and energy wasted.
I am not disputing that, clearly you are right. But if you watch Max closely over the years, like I did, you will see it is also his style/quality. Not a lot of people drive so smoothly so consistently, and use that much road when it is beneficial. What he improved the last years is risk vs reward. He will use even more road when we go deeper into Q and ofcourse they all do that last bit but Max is now able to judge the amount he is taking very precisely.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Max complaining about lack of rear grip.
Is it because of overheating rear tyres or not able to get them into temperature?
Could be just aero balance too.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

chrisc90

Silent Storm wrote:
04 May 2024, 18:47
Is it because of overheating rear tyres or not able to get them into temperature?
Will be. The track temps are insane here this weekend.

organic

Silent Storm wrote:
I think overheating. In the race it will be about bringing the tyres in gently at start of stints.. Which is difficult to do at the beginning of the race

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Strong pace relative to Ferrari towards the end of the stint. Verstappen's last lap, 1.30.6. Leclerc's last, 1.31.2. Perez 1.30.9.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 04 May 2024, 18:52, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
04 May 2024, 18:49
Silent Storm wrote:
I think overheating. In the race it will be about bringing the tyres in gently at start of stints.. Which is difficult to do at the beginning of the race
The new DRS rule is a problem. You take too much out of the tire trying to pull a 1 second gap in 1 lap.

Sevach
Sevach

I wonder if they'll change the RW and go for more dowforce.
They still have enough to edge it right now but not a huge gap.