Conceptual engine regulations

All that has to do with the power train, gearbox, clutch, fuels and lubricants, etc. Generally the mechanical side of Formula One.
UlleGulle
UlleGulle

Re: Conceptual engine regulations

saviour stivala wrote:
10 Mar 2024, 00:54
The Wankel (piston-less) type of 'ROTOR' engine which some calls a 'ROTARY' engine is in fact a 'ROTOR' engine and not a 'ROTARY' engine. On the other hand a 'ROTARY' four stroke piston engine is totally of different concept to that of a 'Radial' four stroke piston engine. The 'ROTARY" cylinder block, cylinders, cylinder heads and anything bolted to the above rotates around a stationery crankshaft.
And the "Wankel"-engine is not Wankels design. In fact he hated it. Which brings me to a slightly off topic question. Has anyone in the modern day tried to build an engine of Wankels design? If not, why? I know you had to pick it appart to change spark plugs, but that doesn't seem to be a big problem for a race engine.

gruntguru
gruntguru

maxxer wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 06:12
How would you fix the rotary problems like the flooding ? And the issue with the bearings ? I almost did buy a mazda.
Till i read that for short trips engine would flood after stopping and then the seals/bearing issue
Flooding? You mean fuel? That's not a wankel problem - its a carburettor problem.
je suis charlie

DenBommer
DenBommer

I was wondering what you think of my future F1 concept:

A 3 inline turbocharged engine with direct drive capable of reaching up to 25,000 rpm. The engine serves more as a generator. No gears, also superlubricity on the pistons and crankshaft. The pedals on the steering wheel that normally serve to shift gears would now be used to control torque vectoring, along with a KERS system on the front and rear axles. And supercapacitors/batteries.

wuzak
wuzak

DenBommer wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 08:30
I was wondering what you think of my future F1 concept:

A 3 inline turbocharged engine with direct drive capable of reaching up to 25,000 rpm. The engine serves more as a generator. No gears, also superlubricity on the pistons and crankshaft. The pedals on the steering wheel that normally serve to shift gears would now be used to control torque vectoring, along with a KERS system on the front and rear axles. And supercapacitors/batteries.
As a generator for electric drive?

As a generator you would want the most efficient engine possible and it would run at constant speed at maximum efficiency.

I don't think a 25,000rpm engine would have a sufficiently wide power band to enable it being used as direct drive. And you would still need a clucth to stop the car.

The car would be fully electric drive, which should make the torque vectoring easier to implement (1 motor per wheel).

Batteries could be used to boost the power output of the drive motors.

DenBommer
DenBommer

Which engine would you recommend?

I considered this concept because the engine will serve more as a generator from 2026 onwards, and this will be even more emphasized in the next regulations.

Tommy Cookers
Tommy Cookers

fully electric drive has multiple deficiencies
similarly its relatives (torque vectoring and full regeneration) are highly over-rated
do we want cars with a diamond wheel layout ? - iirc like Sunbeam Mabley

stepless direct drive (as road hybrids) won't sound 'racy' (as present and 2026)
electric drive & regen are driver aids

the 'combustion' engine should have pistons and an MGU-H
Last edited by Tommy Cookers on 23 Apr 2024, 18:58, edited 1 time in total.

DenBommer
DenBommer

Tommy Cookers wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 12:25
fully electric drive has multiple deficiencies
similarly its relatives (torque vectoring and full regeneration) are highly over-rated
do we want cars with a diamond wheel layout ? - iirc like Lanchester/Sunbeam Mabley

stepless direct drive (as road hybrids) won't sound 'racy' (as present and 2026)
electric drive & regen are driver aids

the 'combustion' engine should have pistons and an MGU-H

I would rather opt for a 6-speed transmission V8 biturbo lean burn engine with superlubricity coating on the crankshaft, pistons, and gearbox. In-wheel motors. Within about a decade, graphene and carbon nanotubes will have further developed. MGUK on both the front and rear axles. I am still undecided about torque vectoring; I would have this preset by a GPS system and also allow for real-time adjustments to create more exciting battles.

Zynerji

Just make the torque-vector differential a manual driver adjustment with triggers on the steering wheel. That way, the diff would normally be fully locked, but the driver could slip each side of the diff to balance the car. Very much a driver skill differentiator.

wuzak
wuzak

DenBommer wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 12:08
I considered this concept because the engine will serve more as a generator from 2026 onwards, and this will be even more emphasized in the next regulations.
The ICE will be primarily used to drive the car.

It will sometimes be used to generate electricity for the ERS, mostly at part throttle, where some of the ICE power is used for regenreation.

leblanc
leblanc

gruntguru wrote:
12 Mar 2024, 00:27
maxxer wrote:
11 Mar 2024, 06:12
How would you fix the rotary problems like the flooding ? And the issue with the bearings ? I almost did buy a mazda.
Till i read that for short trips engine would flood after stopping and then the seals/bearing issue
Flooding? You mean fuel? That's not a wankel problem - its a carburettor problem.
Per Wikipedia, “A flooded engine is an internal combustion engine that has been fed an excessively rich air-fuel mixture that cannot be ignited.”

Ask any fuel-injected 13B or Renesis owner what happens when they run their engine while cold for a short duration lol.

DenBommer
DenBommer

Zynerji wrote:
23 Apr 2024, 21:44
Just make the torque-vector differential a manual driver adjustment with triggers on the steering wheel. That way, the diff would normally be fully locked, but the driver could slip each side of the diff to balance the car. Very much a driver skill differentiator.
It seems fun to me, but I'm afraid it might be a bit overwhelming for the driver. What I mean is: 'more additional instruments on the steering wheel.