Rob Wilson - driver coach?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
NowyszRacing6
NowyszRacing6

Re: Rob Wilson - driver coach?

For finding the lines on a new track, you need a basic approach for the geometry of each corner, and you adjust that for how tight each corner is, distance apart from each other, and elevation. Sometimes grip level too, but usually you can't tell that until you're actually on track. Most of the time, your racing line will be the widest constant (or nearly constant) radius that will fit within the bounds of the corner, and closest to the apex. If you have 2 corners far enough apart that you can exit the first at full track width, and enter the second at full track width, they don't affect each other. If they're closer together though, you will need to compromise your line (usually) by taking a later apex on the first one, and having your exit be more in the middle of the track. that's now your entry to the second corner. If the first corner is tighter than the 2nd corner, you'll be able to exit wider than the center of the track. If the second one is tighter, you'll need to exit less wide than the center. I actually treat elevation change and grip change similarly, because elevation effectively gives the car more or less grip (if you're going through a "valley" the car gains grip and you can turn tighter, if you're cresting a "hill" you lose grip so you can't turn as much). Hopefully that helps, it'd be more clear if i had some visuals, but that's basically how i approach it in my racing.

Sleepy Drifter
Sleepy Drifter

timbo wrote:Sort of continuing on that -- how much time do you think F1 drivers find over the weekend? Usually we see the times improve from practice to qualifying, how much of it from a rubber buildup, how much from using engine at max, and how much from a pure driver's improvement? I understand it may be impossible to differentiate, but what do you feel from your experience?
There was a long post here, which i re-read and erased because the truth is i have no clue how much do f1 drivers find and where over the course of the weekend. I can only guess and thats exactly what i dont wanna do -- guess about f1. When I'm in f1 and. Iknow for a fact, I'll let you guys know too:)

I mean this is obviously an F1 forum, so the question is valid. It's just maybe I'm not very useful on this one.

Anyway, I'll be of very limited availability in next 6-7 days due to testing and racing.
Last edited by Sleepy Drifter on 08 May 2013, 00:35, edited 2 times in total.
Racing F3 this year

Sleepy Drifter
Sleepy Drifter

raymondu999 wrote:And to carry on further - When there is no rubber buildup - ie when a track is completely new, with your car being the first car driven there in anger - how do you learn lines? My gut feel is that you get the lines via... well... gut feel
No, not only via gut. You use brain too :) I will comment further when i have a bit of time.

PS: never drive angry :D :)
Racing F3 this year

Pierce89

Sleepy Drifter wrote: Anyway, I'll be of very limited availability in next 6-7 days due to testing and racing.
Good luck!
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

Sleepy Drifter
Sleepy Drifter

Pierce89 wrote:
Sleepy Drifter wrote: Anyway, I'll be of very limited availability in next 6-7 days due to testing and racing.
Good luck!
Thanks:) it'll also be on track I never drove before so I expect it to be fantastic and totally dominate the whole thing! :)
Racing F3 this year

timbo
timbo

Sleepy Drifter wrote:
timbo wrote:Sort of continuing on that -- how much time do you think F1 drivers find over the weekend? Usually we see the times improve from practice to qualifying, how much of it from a rubber buildup, how much from using engine at max, and how much from a pure driver's improvement? I understand it may be impossible to differentiate, but what do you feel from your experience?
There was a long post here, which i re-read and erased because the truth is i have no clue how much do f1 drivers find and where over the course of the weekend. I can only guess and thats exactly what i dont wanna do -- guess about f1. When I'm in f1 and. Iknow for a fact, I'll let you guys know too:)

I mean this is obviously an F1 forum, so the question is valid. It's just maybe I'm not very useful on this one.

Anyway, I'll be of very limited availability in next 6-7 days due to testing and racing.
Hey, thanks anyway and good luck!

raymondu999

If you watched it, or managed to get a copy, there's a fantastic analysis by Karun and looking at how Maldonado's line differed from Fernando Alonso's, with reference to Rob Wilson's "shorten the corner" things.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

raymondu999 wrote:If you watched it, or managed to get a copy, there's a fantastic analysis by Karun and looking at how Maldonado's line differed from Fernando Alonso's, with reference to Rob Wilson's "shorten the corner" things.
Where was it shown?

raymondu999

Apologies. I meant to type "in last Friday's The F1 Show." There's a torrent copy around :p
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

timbo
timbo

So I watched it, and while it's interesting to see and the RW reference is interesting, I think it's best example of what Sleepy Drifter alluded to here previously. How do we know the different lines are down to different style of driving or mentoring? Could it be that Alonso had to push all out to keep pressure on Maldonado hoping to cause an error? Could it be that he consiously tried wider lines to show himself in the mirrors? Could it be that his front tyres suffered and he got massive understeer?

Sleepy Drifter
Sleepy Drifter

Hey guys, just a quick update. Portimao was not good (not like tragic, but not good relative to what my goals in the championship are), but that's irrelevant.

We played with the setup quite a bit and F3 is a "normal" (meaning "proper" :roll: ) car in terms of how it reacts to setup changes, so there are 2 things that are in fact relevant to the topic that I was able to feel on this car (not for the first time obviously, but first time in F3). This is my first year in F3, and with this particular engineer too (who's BTW awesome), so trying setups and adjusting to the car is still work in progress. Anyhow:

1) I did get a feeling with one of the setups that I was able to "steer with the rear" (or whatever it's called) in hairpins. It's quite hard to describe actually, but it's when you rotate the car with a rear end "sliding" (note the quotes) relative to the front... errr... So you go into the corner, you turn in as normal, as you release brakes and increase steering lock, at some point at the apex the car falls into this rotating phase, when it sort of rotates itself round some central point... if anything, you decrease steering lock at this point as if you were to correct for oversteeer, however this is not really a slide to correct yet, it's just rear feeling very light relative to the front and kind of sliding, but not as much as you would correct for... dude this is seriously hard to describe :) But racing engineers should understand what I mean.

The "pro" is that it allows you to rotate the car very quickly, or even "shortly" in a sense of time spent for the rotation the car, but the "con" is that it's actually very hard to do consistently because this window when car does rotation, but does not OS on you, is very narrow. It's extremely easy to overcook and put car into a massive slide screwing up your exist and it's also very hard to compensate for tire wear to consistently use this effect without sliding during the race.

For me personally, I don't like this. I like the car more-or-less planted to the ground a more progressive/reliable during cornering phase. This effect though is a lot like you managing a snap oversteer mid-corner, which you never allow to actually snap... I mean the car is so on the edge, that it feels like a bug committing suicide over my visor is gonna f*ck up my exit :)

2) Another effect kinda relative to this, and also on the topic of a torque twist (or not, I still don't fully understand what this term means exactly) is when [on different car setup], as you go on power, the car "twists" itself round some central point and you can control that twist with the amount of throttle you put. Again this is not an oversteer nor it's a slide, it literally feels like you're twisting a piece of elastic bar made of rubber with your hands, only the "bar" is the car and "hands" throttle pedal... and once again I'm struggling to describe this... The way you can use it to your benefit is that you do less turning with actual turning of the steering wheel at the apex, but you rather leave some of the rotation to be done during acceleration phase because you know the car's gonna "twist" when you apply power. It's kinda allows you to have higher minimum due to less lock at the apex, but does not allow you to use throttle as an on/off switch thus sacrifices your exit and the following straight to some degree. The other problem is that as tires wear you have to manage throttle application more and more carefully, so the whole technique is sort of managing snap oversteer on exist rather than mid corner in case 1)

Not ideal for me either, however I can drive both 1 and 2 quite effectively as these are both cases of an actually driveable car. What I want ideally though is stable rear on entry (both 1 and 2 provide this, however 1 tends to get snappy) because it allows me to brake very deep into the corner, then balanced car at the apex meaning I don't have to use "cheats" like lack of rear grip relative to front to actually rotate the damn thing (I'm OK with short rolling phase to allow the the car do it's thing), then once again stable rear on exit allowing me to go full throttle asap, may be some tendency to OS here so I can finish my rotation using this "twist" effect while releasing steering lock. Maybe some of these contradict each other, but that's for the engineer to figure out :)

-----

Anyway, sorry for many words again, but I felt like these things might be relevant to what Rob was saying about torque twist or whatever it's called, thus interesting to the community.

And just as disclaimer, all of this really IS a feng shui stuff so if any of you guys want to go racing single-seaters, do NOT focus on the things I wrote as you start. I can give a lot more "basic" advises of how to be quick maximizing what you have under you, e.g. how to use brakes, wings, curbs, learn tracks efficiently, warm tires, drive in wet etc. etc. without falling into "torque twisting" the car :)
Racing F3 this year

timbo
timbo

Thanks for reply!

Can you comment on the following -- on a slow corner the speed traces on the telemetry may look either like V or more like U, i.e. one has a very sharp transition between deceleration and acceleration, while on another it is more gradual. Is it something you and your race engineer consider important? Is one preferrable other another? How much is this a driver or a car and setup related?

Sleepy Drifter
Sleepy Drifter

timbo wrote:Can you comment on the following -- on a slow corner the speed traces on the telemetry may look either like V or more like U, i.e. one has a very sharp transition between deceleration and acceleration, while on another it is more gradual. Is it something you and your race engineer consider important? Is one preferrable other another? How much is this a driver or a car and setup related?
In short, the answer is no - no way is preferable over another. I would say car setup is driver dependent, and V/U shaping is setup dependent. E.g. I find myself V shaping more when I have understeery car, not that I like it :)

In a longer version: slow speed corners, say 2nd gear ones will always be a V except for may be on new tires when you can release brakes completely a bit earlier making a sharp U. Mid. or high speed corners will always tend to be more U like compared to slow ones, and here can be bigger variations in how you do a corner: V or U -like. In any case, there's no generally preferable way of doing such corners, everything is corner/track and setup/car dependent.

Of course the V or U shapes are important to me, my engineer and coach, however we may not always refer to these things specifically in terms of how speed trace looks like: I mean any double-apex corner will tend to be a V, any fast corner will drift towards a U... So if my coach tells me to double apex a corner, in most (not all though, nothing is absolute here) cases that will effectively mean drawing a V on a speed trace.

So honestly, if anyone tells you to V-shape everything always, I'd seriously doubt he's right. And I'm sure this is not what Rob is saying :) Maybe in regards to F1 cars in their current state/tires/whatever it may be right, I'm no good judge of that as I never drove F1, but I think definitely not as a general rule.
Racing F3 this year

raymondu999

失败者找理由,成功者找方法

raymondu999

Sleepy Drifter wrote:I would say car setup is driver dependent, and V/U shaping is setup dependent. E.g. I find myself V shaping more when I have understeery car, not that I like it :)
I actually find myself doing the same.
So honestly, if anyone tells you to V-shape everything always, I'd seriously doubt he's right.
That's why I started this thread! :lol:
And I'm sure this is not what Rob is saying :)
Logic would suggest it's not - but he seems pretty adamant about it, in a way that has me thinking that it could be exactly what he's saying.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法