Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vanja #66

Re: Ferrari SF-24

SiLo wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 13:17
Is there CFD of the different wing profiles? Merc always have a very large scoop to the main plane, and I want to see how it differs to what Ferrari are running here.
FDD wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 14:06
I think that some of us (me for sure) do not understand properly effect of the curvature/shape of the main profile, both longitudinal and transversal.
It would be nice if/when you have time (will also :) ) to prepare some post/explanation maybe in the part "Aerodynamics, chassis and tires".
Thank You
I plan on having a duty-free weekend, so I will try to make a quick comparison between 3 basic shapes and share the results her :) I have a fairly basic idea on what's going on, but it would be nice to grasp a few more details :D

A rare early photo with the floor on and bodywork off. Very clear view of the space available for even deeper undercut, all those bits on the floor should be fairly easy to move around if needed. Can't say there is any elementary flaw with the launch car's architecture, on the contrary...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SiLo

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 22:47
SiLo wrote:
Is there CFD of the different wing profiles? Merc always have a very large scoop to the main plane, and I want to see how it differs to what Ferrari are running here.
FDD wrote:
I think that some of us (me for sure) do not understand properly effect of the curvature/shape of the main profile, both longitudinal and transversal.
It would be nice if/when you have time (will also :) ) to prepare some post/explanation maybe in the part "Aerodynamics, chassis and tires".
Thank You
I plan on having a duty-free weekend, so I will try to make a quick comparison between 3 basic shapes and share the results her :) I have a fairly basic idea on what's going on, but it would be nice to grasp a few more details :D
Thanks Vanja!
Felipe Baby!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

GrizzleBoy wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 20:43
Either I've slept through some important developments or my eyes are just too tired from work because that second pic above looks like an undercut slit.
It certainly does. :shock:
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

FDD
FDD

Vanja #66 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 22:47
SiLo wrote:
FDD wrote:
Thank You

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... etail.webp

A rare early photo with the floor on and bodywork off. Very clear view of the space available for even deeper undercut, all those bits on the floor should be fairly easy to move around if needed. Can't say there is any elementary flaw with the launch car's architecture, on the contrary...
Yes, a lot of space for development.

deadhead

:shock:

KimiRai
KimiRai

Ferrari took inspiration from AMR :D

vorticism

Their cars have had a flick up on the rear CS for many years now.

𓄀

ing.

deadhead wrote:
01 Mar 2024, 01:49
https://ibb.co/1zynCH6

:shock:
Are the “shaded” areas pan-downs, or raised? Wonder if this is used to either keep flow attached at speed or, conversely, promote a local separation at speed to reduce DF and drag? 🤷🏻‍♂️

And are we seeing little stream-wise fences (arrows)?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

How is the car with porpoising compared to previous years?

Andi76
Andi76

Xyz22 wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 23:50
Vinlarr89 wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 23:49
Xyz22 wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 12:19
Clearly a lot of macro development in the diffuser area. Suggests a lot has gone into the overall floor, of course it cannot be seen!

Positive to hear from a few reports that Ferrari have identified the direction of development based on the testing. I think at the same point last year they didn’t know which way to develop the car.
No, they didn't have a --- clue. They had to spend a lot of time trying to understand what the hell was going on and never even had time to add pure performance to the car.
I would like to remind you that Ferrari got better and better towards the end of the season... especially the "Japan floor" improved the car considerably in terms of predictability and consistency of downforce. Which makes two things obvious - that at a some point last year they did get an idea of the direction where to develope the car and add performance. Otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to almost finish second in the constructors' championship after being so far behind.

Interesting image of SF23/SF24 monocoque that has already been posted, but I think you can compare them better side by side than one below the other:

aleks_ader

CMSMJ1 wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 23:19
GrizzleBoy wrote:
29 Feb 2024, 20:43
Either I've slept through some important developments or my eyes are just too tired from work because that second pic above looks like an undercut slit.
It certainly does. :shock:
Where guys? Could u please at least circle it? I cant see what are u talking about.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Andi76 wrote:
02 Mar 2024, 08:49
Xyz22 wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 23:50
Vinlarr89 wrote:
27 Feb 2024, 23:49

Clearly a lot of macro development in the diffuser area. Suggests a lot has gone into the overall floor, of course it cannot be seen!

Positive to hear from a few reports that Ferrari have identified the direction of development based on the testing. I think at the same point last year they didn’t know which way to develop the car.
No, they didn't have a --- clue. They had to spend a lot of time trying to understand what the hell was going on and never even had time to add pure performance to the car.
I would like to remind you that Ferrari got better and better towards the end of the season... especially the "Japan floor" improved the car considerably in terms of predictability and consistency of downforce. Which makes two things obvious - that at a some point last year they did get an idea of the direction where to develope the car and add performance. Otherwise it wouldn't have been possible to almost finish second in the constructors' championship after being so far behind.

Interesting image of SF23/SF24 monocoque that has already been posted, but I think you can compare them better side by side than one below the other:

https://postimg.cc/fkjZBT05
I was specifically talking about the start of the season, as even Leclerc said this himself (that they didn't have a clear direction).
They made huge improvements following the second filming day and Zandvoort FPs tests according to the drivers and reports from journalists.

vorticism

Edit: Was his pinned post, not a new post.
Last edited by vorticism on 02 Mar 2024, 18:57, edited 1 time in total.
𓄀

Vanja #66

That's SF23, SF24 has black sidepod undercut
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

What wings have been tested on the car so far and which wing do we expect to be fitted for Jeddah? Last year IIRC they ran a different wing to Bahrain. Would we expect a lower DF wing to be ran in Jeddah?