2024 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 22 - 24

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
ispano6

Re: 2024 Australian Grand Prix - Melbourne, March 22 - 24

Rather harsh penalty considering Alonso also risks being rear-ended which I'm sure he doesn't want. Seems like a sour grapes response for what was George's aggression that got the better of him. Alonso should be allowed to dictate rhythm but no we have some wussy team saying braking early to set yourself up for the next sequence of corners is dangerous.

The Haas drivers were driving more dangerous, maybe they should be given penalties but no, Alex avoided them and lost out.

Normally I would be upset but can't complain with the result boosting Yuki and Merc double DNF.

TFSA

The really interesting part of the penalty is actually this:
This season, the FIA Formula 1 penalty guidelines, including for this breach have
been reset and increased to a baseline of a 10s penalty.
We knew that there were new penalties for overtaking off track. But this essentially means that every precedent from previous seasons in regards to the size of any penalty (but not whether it should be a penalty) is now to be ignored.
Last edited by TFSA on 24 Mar 2024, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.

PlatinumZealot

RonMexico wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 16:10
Remember Hamilton lifting going through Eau Rouge in 2017 to hurt Vettel when the corner was easy flat?

Would that now be a penalty?
It's not the same. Drivers lift and coast all the time. Stabbing on the brakes is way more erratic.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

balex
balex

Well that was a great illustration of how Verstappen dominating is definitely not the only reason the races are boring.

It is far too easy for every driver to reach their maximum individual performance in their respective cars - so that when they find it, they can just stay there.

It does not matter how few tenths of a second the field is separated by: If the lap-by-lap variance is minuscule, the racing is predictably metronomic.

Changing the regulations to allow them to run closer together and bunch the field up even more will achieve precisely nothing: Future regulation changes have to focus on making it harder for any driver to achieve peak performance in their car lap-after-lap, so that inevitably lap-time variance is increased.

RonMexico
RonMexico

PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 16:32
RonMexico wrote:
Remember Hamilton lifting going through Eau Rouge in 2017 to hurt Vettel when the corner was easy flat?

It's not the same. Drivers lift and coast all the time. Stabbing on the brakes is way more erratic.
Was the braking a factor? According to the FIA statement it wasn't.

People have died at Eau Rouge, lifting unexpectedly mid corner is hardly safe.

Would Hamilton get a penalty for that move now? I think he would
Last edited by RonMexico on 24 Mar 2024, 16:54, edited 1 time in total.

Dunlay
Dunlay

balex wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 16:35
Well that was a great illustration of how Verstappen dominating is definitely not the only reason the races are boring.

It is far too easy for every driver to reach their maximum individual performance in their respective cars - so that when they find it, they can just stay there.

It does not matter how few tenths of a second the field is separated by: If the lap-by-lap variance is minuscule, the racing is predictably metronomic.

Changing the regulations to allow them to run closer together and bunch the field up even more will achieve precisely nothing: Future regulation changes have to focus on making it harder for any driver to achieve peak performance in their car lap-after-lap, so that inevitably lap-time variance is increased.
Nothing changes. It has never changed ever since F1 has existed. F1 has witnessed very few years when there was a competition for championships between two or more teams/drivers. You just cannot stop human brain from finding performance advantages in F1. There will always be that combination of team, car and driver that gets ahead of the field.

mzso
mzso

RonMexico wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 14:01
Looks like we have a championship battle
If you look it from very far and without considering any info other than the championship standings...

balex
balex

Dunlay wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 16:52
balex wrote:

Nothing changes. It has never changed ever since F1 has existed. F1 has witnessed very few years when there was a competition for championships between two or more teams/drivers. You just cannot stop human brain from finding performance advantages in F1. There will always be that combination of team, car and driver that gets ahead of the field.
Yes I understand & agree. I'm not looking to counter that, you could even say I'm arguing for not trying to manage that performance delta:

Instead the regulations should focus on how to increase individual performance variance. That will increase the overlap in performance windows of different cars and drivers, regardless of the absolute peak performance of that car/driver.

Whether there are multiple "classes" in the race due to one team absolutely nailing the regulations is orthogonal to how entertaining the racing is within those classes. I wish we could ditch the focus on getting the cars racing nose-to-tail - there's no correlation between that and how entertaining the racing will be.

langedweil

balex wrote:
Future regulation changes have to focus on making it harder for any driver to achieve peak performance in their car lap-after-lap, so that inevitably lap-time variance is increased.
Bring back the power-to-weight ratios to at least 2:1, where the maximum of the car is never reached, the bravest hearts decide while every cars breathes it wants to kill it's driver asap. Back to being gladiators instead of media-muppets.
But I guess those days will never come again ..

Proper drive from Carlos .. I guess the race out as boring as usual, just with a few different names. I feel we would have had way more racing without Ver DNF'ing.
HuggaWugga !

mzso
mzso

balex wrote:

The umpteenth time I read of "the problem". But whenever one of this problems are solved it remains the same...
This time it even reeks of nonsense. These cars are not simple to set up to perform well. And drivers end up loosing it more often than before.

balex
balex

mzso wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 17:09
The umpteenth time I read of "the problem". But whenever one of this problems are solved it remains the same...
This time it even reeks of nonsense. These cars are not simple to set up to perform well.
Whether it's difficult to set up the cars is irrelevant to my point: I'm talking about what happens after parc fermé when all development/setup/etc is done.
mzso wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 17:09
And drivers end up loosing it more often than before.
That's certainly a new perspective to me! When is this "before" you are referring to? What I see are laps with variances in performance that are so small as to be irrelevant, relative to the performance delta that would be needed between two cars on a lap for any actual racing manoeuvres to happen.

I guess if I have some spare time in a few weeks time I should try and dig into some data.

mzso
mzso

By the way, can anyone lip read? I wonder what Verstappen reacted with "f*cking stupid".
I suspect some human error for the brake failure, like when they forgot to remove the covers for button in monaco. But they're just saying the brake "was stuck on" the whole time. Which may or may not be true.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Cs98 wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 07:30
Seanspeed wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 03:16

Fantastic hard lap in Q1, and a really solid P12 overall. No matter what happens, that hard Q1 lap proves he had no restraint like you were claiming he would.

You should really stop making so many assumptions and misunderstanding how top competitors minds' work. Making a mistake in a place is not gonna stop everybody from still being able to push hard after. I know this perfectly myself doing sim racing. Yea, maybe I'll double check myself on some non-essential laps just to get the feeling back, but typically I dont let something like a mistake create some submissive/scared situation. If you have that mentality, you've already lost and probably wouldn't ever cut it in a professional situation.
Nah, left a lot of time on the table in quali and couldn't even score a single point despite 3 top cars not finishing. That car had a point in it today and he wasn't good enough to pull it out. Haas running away in the WCC.
This is just embarrassing man. You simply cant admit you were wrong. Albon drove a perfectly decent race with the machinery he had. But you're going to say otherwise no matter what, aren't you? smh

PlatinumZealot

RonMexico wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 16:51
PlatinumZealot wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 16:32
RonMexico wrote:

Was the braking a factor? According to the FIA statement it wasn't.

People have died at Eau Rouge, lifting unexpectedly mid corner is hardly safe.

Would Hamilton get a penalty for that move now? I think he would
Did you read the final ruling?
Potentially dangerous defending.

Lift and coasting into what is essentially a straight is different than stabbing the brakes around blind high speed corner with a chicane after it. There is no comparison with Eau Rouge.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

☄️ Myth of the five suns. ☄️

☀️☀️☀️☀️☀️
LxVxFxHxN

InsaneX_Badger

RonMexico wrote:
24 Mar 2024, 14:01
Looks like we have a championship battle
Tbh if Ferrari is competitive in Japan I'll be pleasantly surprised