2024 Chinese GP

For ease of use, there is one thread per grand prix where you can discuss everything during that specific GP weekend. You can find these threads here.
cirrusflyer

Re: 2024 Chinese GP

Farnborough wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 12:12
cirrusflyer wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 12:08
delsando53 wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 10:25
Did someone notice the rear camera of Max V, the rear axle was moving almost steering itself (its like DAS but for the rear axle?
Yes. I did. During the SC while he was putting heat in to the tyres.
All the rear end was changing...
Anyone knowledgeable?
There's a lot of image distortion in that clip (fixed and close broad focus requirements often give significant barrel changes to image from lens geometry) that seem to exaggerated the real change that's part of any suspension travel.

Looks just like chassis "roll" and camber shift that's normal for most chassis when "rocking" it like that.
Tnx.
Just looked odd on TV.
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Farnborough wrote:
cirrusflyer wrote:
delsando53 wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 10:25
Did someone notice the rear camera of Max V, the rear axle was moving almost steering itself (its like DAS but for the rear axle?
Anyone knowledgeable?
There's a lot of image distortion in that clip (fixed and close broad focus requirements often give significant barrel changes to image from lens geometry) that seem to exaggerated the real change that's part of any suspension travel.

Looks just like chassis "roll" and camber shift that's normal for most chassis when "rocking" it like that.
Not camber shift, toe change. There's hardly any major camber change under dynamic condition at rear.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

Farnborough
Farnborough

Silent Storm wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 12:23
Farnborough wrote:
cirrusflyer wrote:

Anyone knowledgeable?

Not camber shift, toe change. There's hardly any major camber change under dynamic condition at rear.
My contention is that its PRIMARILY an optical perspective visible in that clip, due to recording device optical constraint/characteristic .... and not a true wheel angle shift.

If it were toe, that's an extreme response within a chassis like this ... toeing out on outside loaded wheel too ! Doesn’t seem like a desirable trait under maximum roll loading .... unsure if they'd aim at that, thinking more like neutrality in that scenario.

Silent Storm
Silent Storm

Farnborough wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 12:36
Silent Storm wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 12:23
Farnborough wrote:

My contention is that its PRIMARILY an optical perspective visible in that clip, due to recording device optical constraint/characteristic .... and not a true wheel angle shift.

If it were toe, that's an extreme response within a chassis like this ... toeing out on outside loaded wheel too ! Doesn’t seem like a desirable trait under maximum roll loading .... unsure if they'd aim at that, thinking more like neutrality in that scenario.
Negative bump steer. Important tuning tool.
Redbull also have a history with such geometry, helping Vettel get his mid corner rotation in blown diffuser and coanda exhaust era and now used aggressively by Verstappen.
The stat points between an Online Forum and Real Life are inversely proportional...

Waz
Waz

Bit of a strange race. Not very interesting really but a bit of drawn out chaos in the middle that didn't change a whole lot except for the VCARBs.

Good race from Lando and well executed by McLaren.

Good race by Fernando and utter shambles from Aston Martin. Are they the new Ferrari? Knowingly choosing the most nonsensical strategy for both drivers?

Quiet shout out to Russell, drove a clean race and capitalized as much as he could.

Hamilton was poor, and showed poor form on the radio yet again.

KMag and Hulk would be entertaining with better cars mixing it in the top 10. Fiesty effort from KMag.

The main takeaway is that the drivers are moaning EXCESSIVELY about supposedly being pushed wide. Obviously a consequence of the penalty happy FIA.

Cs98
Cs98

PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:52
Cs98 wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:41
PlatinumZealot wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 11:30

Did you not see when Russell fell back from Sainz and Alonso and could barely pull away from a sick McLaren? Under normal circumstances the car is the fifth best. Same crap as in 2010 to 2012 when Nico and MSC were fighting to finish in the top 6. No one cares about that, no one even remembers where Merc finished in those years and why should they?

This year is a write off and means nothing unless they can get the car into a state where it can finish 2nd in the championship.
Sainz finished P5 in a much faster Ferrari, that was never Russell's race. He was battling with Piastri and Alonso for P6-P8, and beat both of them to P6.

Could barely pull away from a sick McLaren? What a bold-faced lie. He pulled 18 seconds on Piastri in less than half the race after the SC. The same hobbling Piastri that Hamilton tried to pass at the end and couldn't even get within DRS. Russell was clearly the superior driver here today, much faster.
Lovely. Fighting for P6 and P8! So excited! :roll:

And why do you care about this anyway? Not even Mercedes fans care lol.
Imagine that, finishing where the car should be finishing. Who even cares about such things in a competitive sport where you are judged on your performance? Ridiculous... We should just be ignoring it instead.

Let's face it PZ, you care enough to argue about it, you cared enough to make up your own facts about the race, you care enough to buy every excuse that is offered under the sun. No one who "doesn't care" does all that.

venkyhere
venkyhere

venkyhere wrote:
18 Apr 2024, 07:57
deadhead wrote:
17 Apr 2024, 22:55
venkyhere wrote:
16 Apr 2024, 12:35
If LeClerc fails to outgun Sainz here, his confidence will take a major beating.
In qualy?

They've been evenly matched in race trim so far.
In both. This is a highly technical track, where I expect LeClerc, Verstappen and Hamilton to settle into the 'most optimal racing lines' for tyre-wear and laptime ; compared to other drivers. If Sainz still does better than LeClerc here (quali and race) then LeClerc as a driver is finished at Ferrari.
Except Hamilton-Russel AND Hulk-KMag (both pairs I am not able to judge who is more talented) , the above theme (talent gap getting exposed on this track) revealed itself beautifully on this track layout today :
Verstappen > Perez
LeClerc > Sainz
Alonso >>>>>> Stroll (this is irrespective of track)
Albon >>>> Sargeant (this is irrespective of track)
Norris > Piastri
Ocon > Gasly

Btw, who made the call for Alonso to wear S for the safety car restart ? Himself or the team ? What a stupid call, even a used M would've allowed him to finish ahead of Russel.

ringo

Missed the race but got the story in a nut shell here. F1 need to think seriously about the product theyre selling. I used to. Make effort to watch all races. Not so much these days.
Miami may be even more boring.
For Sure!!

CHT
CHT

ringo wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 13:58
Missed the race but got the story in a nut shell here. F1 need to think seriously about the product theyre selling. I used to. Make effort to watch all races. Not so much these days.
There are 24 races this season it's ok to miss some.

Zynerji

CHT wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 14:15
ringo wrote:
With the F1TV app, you don't have to miss any. Just don't read any news until you watch the replay! 😂

Sieper

This race certainly was a solid 7, the bar for not watching is quite low. I have been waiting for 5 years before the driver I root for got a competitive car. Watched those years without miss.

Dunlay
Dunlay

CHT wrote:
ringo wrote:
It's the competitors that are below par. Just like it was the competitors who were below from 2014 to 2020. Can't blame FIA/Liberty/Red Bull/Verstappen. Same could be said of Mercedes and Hamilton previously.

The only entertainment now is to see how Alonso drives an inferior car amongst better cars that creates a small sideshow behind Max.

I hate orbitrary rule changes to penalize the team that has done a better job. But something need to change and I don't know what.

epo
epo

ringo wrote:
They made a topic for guys like you here viewtopic.php?t=31588

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Why didn't the broken Sauber go into Neutral? I thought this neutral safety system was mandatory.

Seanspeed
Seanspeed

Dunlay wrote:
21 Apr 2024, 14:58
CHT wrote:
ringo wrote:
It's the competitors that are below par. Just like it was the competitors who were below from 2014 to 2020. Can't blame FIA/Liberty/Red Bull/Verstappen. Same could be said of Mercedes and Hamilton previously.

The only entertainment now is to see how Alonso drives an inferior car amongst better cars that creates a small sideshow behind Max.

I hate orbitrary rule changes to penalize the team that has done a better job. But something need to change and I don't know what.
There's a large regulation overhaul in 2026. This will give everybody a new chance to come up with a winning design. Engine differences will likely affect the competitive order as well, at least for the first year or two.

Either way, the competitors are not 'below par' so much as Red Bull/Newey/Verstappen are just smashing it. This happens in F1. They've got the best designer in F1 history with an extremely well oiled team and a generational, alien-level talent behind the wheel. I would say people should be hoping very much Red Bull get their engine wrong for 2026, cuz Newey probably wont stumble on the car design. This was pretty much the only thing stopping them from being more competitive prior to 2021 as well when Lewis/Merc were dominating.

I guess you could suggest Adrian Newey be banned for putting the sport into disrepute. Short of that, I think we just have to eat them apples as they're served.