Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
trinidefender
trinidefender

Re: Ferrari SF-24

Vanja #66 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 14:35
Luscion wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 13:57
SF-24 on track
https://formu1a.uno/wp-content/uploads/ ... rano-4.jpg
Nice to see they took the time to further improve on DRS pylon design and make sure there are no big stagnation points on the fairing any more
Mind if you post pictures or something showing where exactly those points are on the old DRS pylon?

Fede90
Fede90

My sensation is Ferrari has adopted various solutions that comes from other teams but styaing in the middle avoiding extremization in every area.

trinidefender
trinidefender

Shakeman wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 15:38
I understand there is an interaction between the air exiting under the floor and the air flowing under the undercut but I don't understand why this has proven so vital?

Can anyone explain? Cheers.
I believe the airflow following the undercut is then pushed out wide helping to manage rear tyre wake and move it away from the diffuser. That works in conjunction with these long flat sided side pods that help to keep the front wheel wake from being sucked between the rear wheels with a physical bodywork barrier.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Shakeman

trinidefender wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:17
Shakeman wrote:
I understand there is an interaction between the air exiting under the floor and the air flowing under the undercut but I don't understand why this has proven so vital?

I believe the airflow following the undercut is then pushed out wide helping to manage rear tyre wake and move it away from the diffuser. That works in conjunction with these long flat sided side pods that help to keep the front wheel wake from being sucked between the rear wheels with a physical bodywork barrier.
I understand that part but I understood there was a critical interaction between the undercut air and the air being channelled out from under the floor. I'm presuming it helps the underfloor air exit more efficiently and create more downforce at the front of the floor?

Farnborough
Farnborough

Shakeman wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:31
trinidefender wrote:
Shakeman wrote:

I understand that part but I understood there was a critical interaction between the undercut air and the air being channelled out from under the floor. I'm presuming it helps the underfloor air exit more efficiently and create more downforce at the front of the floor?
The first, most outer channels, of underfloor front end are purged directly out the side amidships to effectively "starve" the main underfloor tunnel (entrance closest to monocoque) from receiving much air volume, this then ultimately pulled from the rear diffuser section to cause the vacuum characteristic of these design.
The air going over floor and down the sides still attached to surface flow structure will ultimately be used at top and sides of that diffuser, more volume causing greater diffuser effect. This source (mid layer) appears to be what they are using front suspension upper arms to condition as like turning vane in a wind tunnel, to improve that mid layer flow and volume.

That mid flow between flor top and under sidoepod sculpture, significantly directed toward the space between the inner rear wheel and diffuser wall ostensibly to help seal that area to floor and again drive diffuser efficiency (remember exhaust blowing of this area ? ) with the topside of pods having ultimate the destination the rear beam wing area.
The Mousehole down inbard of rear wheel looks to bleed that high volume air passing it straight into the diffuser to help mitigate driving the diffuser into extremely high and uncontrolled negative pressure as the chassis comes down toward the track at extreme loading (to help avoid peak accumulation driving porpoising) so a bypass negative pressure relief valve in other words.

.poz
.poz

This is probably a render..... but

on both cars we can see the so called bypass duct.. on the left one is just a shadow and a change in carbon fiber or there is a second opening ?

Shakeman

Farnborough wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:53
Shakeman wrote:
trinidefender wrote:

The first, most outer channels, of underfloor front end are purged directly out the side amidships to effectively "starve" the main underfloor tunnel (entrance closest to monocoque) from receiving much air volume, this then ultimately pulled from the rear diffuser section to cause the vacuum characteristic of these design.
The air going over floor and down the sides still attached to surface flow structure will ultimately be used at top and sides of that diffuser, more volume causing greater diffuser effect. This source (mid layer) appears to be what they are using front suspension upper arms to condition as like turning vane in a wind tunnel, to improve that mid layer flow and volume.

That mid flow between flor top and under sidoepod sculpture, significantly directed toward the space between the inner rear wheel and diffuser wall ostensibly to help seal that area to floor and again drive diffuser efficiency (remember exhaust blowing of this area ? ) with the topside of pods having ultimate the destination the rear beam wing area.
The Mousehole down inbard of rear wheel looks to bleed that high volume air passing it straight into the diffuser to help mitigate driving the diffuser into extremely high and uncontrolled negative pressure as the chassis comes down toward the track at extreme loading (to help avoid peak accumulation driving porpoising) so a bypass negative pressure relief valve in other words.
Thanks, so the side pod shape teams are moving towards is an optimisation for flow to hit the rear brake duct area. Interesting. So it's just a coincidence that the narrowest part of the undercut is above the forward floor exits and they are not working together?

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Ahhhh. have they done a Ferrari here? I’m really disappointed by how little they’ve changed. Yes it looks clean. But is clean enough? Sidepod inlets are basic, suspension hasn’t changed much, can’t see much change to floor edge. Am I overreacting?

dialtone
dialtone

Vinlarr89 wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 17:31
Ahhhh. have they done a Ferrari here? I’m really disappointed by how little they’ve changed. Yes it looks clean. But is clean enough? Sidepod inlets are basic, suspension hasn’t changed much, can’t see much change to floor edge. Am I overreacting?
wrong thread, that's for team thread.

FDD
FDD

Luscion wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 14:05
Looks to me that driver turn the car into the curve easier.

dialtone
dialtone

Extended SF-24 video from Fiorano.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Shakeman wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 17:18
Farnborough wrote:
13 Feb 2024, 16:53
Shakeman wrote:

Thanks, so the side pod shape teams are moving towards is an optimisation for flow to hit the rear brake duct area. Interesting. So it's just a coincidence that the narrowest part of the undercut is above the forward floor exits and they are not working together?
Unless they substantially move radiator internally, then there's some limitations to make more room there with a general consensus now appearing across the grid in this particular aspect.
But as you note, the coincidence of those two seems to be used to drive that flow at confluence point on the car.
There's good view of the "spume" just at that point from wet running of RB20 in that speculative thread to show clear how powerful that exit is. Good pictures in wet running are particularly informative of this area, like a real wind tunnel in view.
The floor edge going back from there, with the flicks and licks then attempting to seal the floor from bleeding ejected air back under the floor to ultimately reduce the negative pressure existing under there.

Xyz22
Xyz22

KimiRai
KimiRai