2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Wouter

Re: 2024 Oracle Red Bull Racing F1 Team

In lap 11 Norris was still held up by Perez. Once Perez pitted Norris was quicker than Max.

The Power of Dreams!

Vanja #66

Joel709 wrote:
06 May 2024, 20:13
Apart from the fact the telemetry did show something, he after that incident he was losing atleast 2 tenths in the first corner alone. I think McLaren had the raw pace anyway but to dismiss a hole in the floor when these cars are sensitive to a single MM is just dumb
I'm quite certain I heard radio back from RB saying "Car is ok" soon after the incident happened. As for 2 tenths in T1, that's from Horner, Max said right after the race he didn't feel anything different and at the time he wasn't aware there was damage --> https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... /10607603/

Asked specifically though about Horner’s suggestions of his pace drop being down to damage, Verstappen replied: “It didn't feel different, so I don't know. Maybe it was already damaged. I don't know. I mean I hit that thing and then my pace was the same so I didn't really know if there was damage.”
As for T1, incident happened in Lap 21, while Lap 20 was Max' personal best in 1st Stint. In Lap 22 there is no time loss in T1 and afterwards, the bulk of it was lost in slow corners like T17, where he was late on brakes a bit and compromised entry speed.

Lap 23 was when VSC was called but Max almost finished S1, so we can observe first couple of corners and he actually gained a tenth in T1-2-3. On Hards he immediately gained 2 tenths in T1 simply for having fresh tyres.

Does this mean anything special? No, he wasn't very consistent on Mediums and his lap times were going up and down the whole time - here I added Laps 17, 18 and 19

The one thing that is clear is how much better he was on Hards, lap times were much more consistent and 20/23 laps were within 2 tenths. Red arrow points at the incident.

If there was any aerodynamic inconsistency, I can assure you those laps would not have been possible. :)

Cs98 wrote:
06 May 2024, 21:07
RB don't need Newey, they need you!
Unfortunately, I'm not available :(
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I haven't read this anywhere, but after Imola, I would think that many teams will bring their next critical updates to Silverstone.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Enrico Balbo (head of Aero) and Ben Waterhouse (head of performance engineering), have also signed until 2028:
Balbo and Waterhouse also extend
Balbo (Head of Aerodynamics) and Waterhouse (Head of Performance Engineering) also both signed a new multi-year deal at Red Bull Racing, GPblog found out.
https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/274861/v ... k=onderaan

Everyone ends on the same year as Verstappen. Interesting....

Watto
Watto

Vanja #66 wrote:
06 May 2024, 22:20
Joel709 wrote:
06 May 2024, 20:13
Apart from the fact the telemetry did show something, he after that incident he was losing atleast 2 tenths in the first corner alone. I think McLaren had the raw pace anyway but to dismiss a hole in the floor when these cars are sensitive to a single MM is just dumb
I'm quite certain I heard radio back from RB saying "Car is ok" soon after the incident happened. As for 2 tenths in T1, that's from Horner, Max said right after the race he didn't feel anything different and at the time he wasn't aware there was damage --> https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/red- ... /10607603/

Asked specifically though about Horner’s suggestions of his pace drop being down to damage, Verstappen replied: “It didn't feel different, so I don't know. Maybe it was already damaged. I don't know. I mean I hit that thing and then my pace was the same so I didn't really know if there was damage.”
As for T1, incident happened in Lap 21, while Lap 20 was Max' personal best in 1st Stint. In Lap 22 there is no time loss in T1 and afterwards, the bulk of it was lost in slow corners like T17, where he was late on brakes a bit and compromised entry speed.

https://i.ibb.co/fr2TGgw/ver-mia-24-1.jpg

Lap 23 was when VSC was called but Max almost finished S1, so we can observe first couple of corners and he actually gained a tenth in T1-2-3. On Hards he immediately gained 2 tenths in T1 simply for having fresh tyres.

https://i.ibb.co/C5QDzKd/ver-mia-24-2.jpg

Does this mean anything special? No, he wasn't very consistent on Mediums and his lap times were going up and down the whole time - here I added Laps 17, 18 and 19

https://i.ibb.co/tx1QGPZ/ver-mia-24-3.jpg

The one thing that is clear is how much better he was on Hards, lap times were much more consistent and 20/23 laps were within 2 tenths. Red arrow points at the incident.

https://i.ibb.co/WcrKLp8/ver-mia-24-4.jpg

If there was any aerodynamic inconsistency, I can assure you those laps would not have been possible. :)

Cs98 wrote:
06 May 2024, 21:07
RB don't need Newey, they need you!
Unfortunately, I'm not available :(
Checking the replay Max asked them to check the front wing there wasn't a reply to the broadcast - but its possible if there was a reply somewhere was referring to that - this was from the Sky broadcast, F1TV may have had somethign different if thats what you had.

While your graphs to certainly look pretty convincing I accept, I'd still like to see/know what other data RB had to say its a 0.25 as claimed by Horner.

Sergej
Sergej

According to AMuS Red Bull will bring upgrades to Imola, it says it's the second package after Suzuka so I would guess it won't be only "small tweaks".

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... nanz-ende/

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I'm open to surprises...

Dunlay
Dunlay

https://www.skysports.com/f1/news/12433 ... o-mercedes
Christian Horner hits back at Zak Brown and Toto Wolff's comments regarding Red Bull personnel wanting to join other teams:

"The two candidates involved talk a lot. I'm not going to get sucked in for a tit for tat. I would be more focused on Toto's own issues that he has. I don't have any concern with the strength and depth [of Red Bull],"

"Of course there is always going to be movement between teams. I don't know how many people we have employed by McLaren this year? Mercedes, we have taken 220 people. 220 out of HPP into Red Bull powertrains."

"So when we are talking about losing people, I would be more worried than about the 220 people, than one or two CVs."
Wow!!! 220 people hired from Mercedes HPP into RBPT. :o :o :o
Now I wonder if Mercedes is going to have a competitive engine for 2026!

Cs98
Cs98

Looking at the telemetry it looks like Perez was consistently 3-5kph faster down all three DRS straights, in free air. As far as I can tell they were running the exact same wing levels, beam wing and all. Maybe there is something to that rumoured engine issue from the sprint.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Cs98 wrote:
07 May 2024, 11:39
Looking at the telemetry it looks like Perez was consistently 3-5kph faster down all three DRS straights, in free air. As far as I can tell they were running the exact same wing levels, beam wing and all. Maybe there is something to that rumoured engine issue from the sprint.
Why would they not mention it? They mentioned the hole they found.

Difference in straight line speed can easily be explained by Red Bull expecting Perez to have to fight and overtake (or defend). Verstappen usually is fast enough to pull away and thus maximizes lap time - not overtake ability.

Cs98
Cs98

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 May 2024, 12:08
Cs98 wrote:
07 May 2024, 11:39
Why would they not mention it? They mentioned the hole they found.

Difference in straight line speed can easily be explained by Red Bull expecting Perez to have to fight and overtake (or defend). Verstappen usually is fast enough to pull away and thus maximizes lap time - not overtake ability.
Well I can't read their minds but the telemetry is obvious. Here I found a couple of laps when they were both in free air and not defending during the middle of the race. Perez white lines
Here towards the end of the race, no one within 3 seconds ahead. There is no trade-off, he's just much faster on all the big straights and losing next to nothing in terms of power in the slower sections.
Basically all the laps that are comparable in terms of free air look like this or similar. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, but always around 3-5 kph in favour of Checo on the big straights with no significant losses anywhere else. In terms of time, 2-3 tenths every lap just on those three straights.

FittingMechanics
FittingMechanics

Cs98 wrote:
07 May 2024, 12:51
Well I can't read their minds but the telemetry is obvious. Here I found a couple of laps when they were both in free air and not defending during the middle of the race. Perez white lines
https://i.imgur.com/p6Uh6Fx.png
Here towards the end of the race, no one within 3 seconds ahead. There is no trade-off, he's just much faster on all the big straights and losing next to nothing in terms of power in the slower sections.
https://i.imgur.com/dqm3r3w.png
Basically all the laps that are comparable in terms of free air look like this or similar. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, but always around 3-5 kph in favour of Checo on the big straights with no significant losses anywhere else. In terms of time, 2-3 tenths every lap just on those three straights.
What is obvious is that Verstappen was faster than Perez in almost all examples you showed. So the tradeoff was there. Verstappen was faster in the corners but slower on the straights or otherwise, he wouldn't end up faster than Perez in those laps.

I think it is very unlikely they would hide "Verstappen engine was low on power" but would go out of their way to talk about diffusor damage when he went over the kerb. They don't have to protect or ego manage a weak engine supplier.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

Dunlay wrote:
07 May 2024, 10:37
Christian Horner hits back at Zak Brown and Toto Wolff's comments regarding Red Bull personnel wanting to join other teams:

"The two candidates involved talk a lot. I'm not going to get sucked in for a tit for tat. I would be more focused on Toto's own issues that he has. I don't have any concern with the strength and depth [of Red Bull],"

"Of course there is always going to be movement between teams. I don't know how many people we have employed by McLaren this year? Mercedes, we have taken 220 people. 220 out of HPP into Red Bull powertrains."

"So when we are talking about losing people, I would be more worried than about the 220 people, than one or two CVs."
If those figures are true then that is pretty difficult for HPP going forward (assuming they're all "top" people, of course).

But I did smile at Horner's "I'm not going to get sucked in for a tit for tat" before do precisely that (with a mic-drop figure, admittedly). :lol:
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Cs98
Cs98

FittingMechanics wrote:
07 May 2024, 14:00
Cs98 wrote:
07 May 2024, 12:51
https://i.imgur.com/p6Uh6Fx.png
https://i.imgur.com/dqm3r3w.png
What is obvious is that Verstappen was faster than Perez in almost all examples you showed. So the tradeoff was there. Verstappen was faster in the corners but slower on the straights or otherwise, he wouldn't end up faster than Perez in those laps.

I think it is very unlikely they would hide "Verstappen engine was low on power" but would go out of their way to talk about diffusor damage when he went over the kerb. They don't have to protect or ego manage a weak engine supplier.
Now you are trying to conflate overall lap times with PU performance, but there's far more variables in terms of overall lap time. In terms of a PU trade-off you'd have to point to where Verstappen is getting all this extra PU performance he is giving up on the straights. You don't need it in the corners on this track, you are not power limited there, so where is it?

And psychoanalysis doesn't really compare to data. We don't know what they don't tell us and we don't know their motivations for what they do/don't tell. All we can do is look at the data we have available, and if you are telling me there's nothing to see in those traces I don't think you are being genuine. Rarely if ever do you see such blatant differences between teammates running the same wing levels.

Watto
Watto

Just_a_fan wrote:
07 May 2024, 14:30
Dunlay wrote:
07 May 2024, 10:37

If those figures are true then that is pretty difficult for HPP going forward (assuming they're all "top" people, of course).

But I did smile at Horner's "I'm not going to get sucked in for a tit for tat" before do precisely that (with a mic-drop figure, admittedly). :lol:
I think, though I accept it probably continued the tit for tat Horner was just pointing out staff move between teams all the time. Using the turmoil at RB to try and destabilise us a little different. Though I do probably accept Horner isn’t exactly a saint when it comes to digs at other teams should the opportunity arise