Ferrari SF-24

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: Ferrari SF-24

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 May 2024, 10:49
As far as I can tell, the floor is old/launch spec, absolutely no surface looks different.
Yes , for the moment Ferrari has not fitted the new floor according to Italian journalists

cirrusflyer

CaribouBread wrote:
10 May 2024, 10:44
Crazy Halo winglet action :wtf:
Cobra Winglet! 😉
If flying were the language of man, soaring would be its poetry.
It's all about technology!
When you go fast, do not hesitate to go faster!

yooogurt

FORZA FERRARI!

Emag
Emag

Floor is the same no? It looks like the difference in lighting is making it look like there's something different. Any brighter pics from this angle?

yooogurt

Emag wrote:
10 May 2024, 12:25
Floor is the same no? It looks like the difference in lighting is making it look like there's something different. Any brighter pics from this angle?
its from funoanalisitecnica
Generating a higher pressure is crucial in generating the so-called outwash effect and, in turn, better "cleaning" the wake of turbulence created by the front tire rolling. The outwash takes shape through the production of the pressure gradient towards the outside of the single-seater. A factor that increases efficiency while also increasing the effectiveness of the bottom. Limiting the entry of side flows is indeed one of the most important issues. That is why we expect changes to the floor itself, which at the moment remains unchanged, to adapt to the new solution (yellow circle).
https://www.funoanalisitecnica.com/2024 ... -anal.html
FORZA FERRARI!

Andi76
Andi76

Sorry for the low quality.

wuzak
wuzak

christian.falavena

Also the rear wing appears to be new, different upper flap end

mclaren111

CaribouBread wrote:
10 May 2024, 10:44
Crazy Halo winglet action :wtf:

The "Cobra" Winglet... 8) 8) As per cirrusflyer
Last edited by mclaren111 on 10 May 2024, 14:08, edited 2 times in total.

Vanja #66

It's obvious what the new engine cover outlet looks like, but visuals are always better. The top outlet might be blow-through-flow from S-duct basically

And a good quality head-on photo from Motorsport

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

nico5

Vanja #66 wrote:
10 May 2024, 14:06
It's obvious what the new engine cover outlet looks like, but visuals are always better. The top outlet might be blow-through-flow from S-duct basically

https://i.ibb.co/GCNcvFc/sf-24-rear.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/JygSf2b/sf-24-rear-1.jpg

And a good quality head-on photo from Motorsport

https://cdn-6.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... sf-24.webp
It's so huge that it's gotta be cooling

SSJ4
SSJ4

No more s duct according to formu1auno
More akin to alpine p shaped inlet

bananapeel23

Man, Ferrari really loves spending time on weird halo decorations.

First the halo mirrors in 2018 with a winglet hanging off. Then the SF23 with the weird little wings sticking out on top of the halo. Then the first iteration of the SF24 winglets that created a tunnel between the sidepods and the halo. Now these weird S-shaped "cobra" winglets on the SF24 v2. Nto to mention all the small halo covers and the tiny winglets that barely stick out that were used on the SF21 and F1-75.

Why does Ferrari spend so much time and money on halo ornamentation while no one else does? Are the performance benefits thought to be significant at all or are we talking thousandths of a second per lap?

What purpose do they even serve? Is it akin to something like winglets on aircraft that aim to break up vortex formation and reduce drag downstram? Is it more of a flow conditioning thing meant to keep the airflow flowing off the halo nice and predictable when it hits the rear wing?

AmateurDriver
AmateurDriver

SSJ4 wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:07
No more s duct according to formu1auno
More akin to alpine p shaped inlet
"Cobra winglet likely serving the same purpose as s-duct.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

bananapeel23 wrote:
10 May 2024, 15:10
Man, Ferrari really loves spending time on weird halo decorations.
[...]

What purpose do they even serve? Is it akin to something like winglets on aircraft that aim to break up vortex formation and reduce drag downstram? Is it more of a flow conditioning thing meant to keep the airflow flowing off the halo nice and predictable when it hits the rear wing?
Last year and early this year I asked myself the same question and this is the conclusion I got to,
Currently Ferrari has a completely different approach to centerline packaging and cooling compared to every other team, they're the only ones to run the narrow airbox, thus I think, they might also have a different approach to dealing with cockpit losses and turbulence. The intricacy of their halo work is the manifestation of their low centerline philosophy in my opinion.