Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Stu

Re: Red Bull RB20

skwdenyer wrote:
07 Mar 2024, 18:57
Venturiation wrote:
06 Mar 2024, 19:07
Even if the car is stable max says the bouncing is too violent

James Allison has said before that even if the redbull looks stable the drivers are suffering amd it's because these regulations are mistake in terms of suspensions
Give the claim of F1 to be a technical pinnacle, and how relatively cheap they are to deploy, I really don’t understand why hydraulic interconnections were banned.

In a ground effect era, separating suspension modes is precisely what’s needed. Because trying to chase aero solutions will be far, far more expensive.
The regulations only state that a single damper unit per wheel is allowed (so a maximum of four),it doesn’t state the modes that they can operate on.
Some cars are using very high amounts of ARB spring to almost remove that mode from the equation (the opposed diagonal connection from one side to the other then essentially is only operating in single wheel bump), then a linear damper connection from side to side is controlling pitch/heave.
The number of springs doesn’t suffer the same limitation.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

hollus

This is from Verstappen's car in the Bahrain grid. I don't remember seeing these exits so clear before.
Rivals, not enemies.

KimiRai
KimiRai

red bull new beam wing

organic

KimiRai wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 02:43
red bull new beam wing

https://i.imgur.com/YuNabFA.png
Very interesting.

Here's another angle showing the BW is definitely like this

First time I've seen a BW like this

From behind

Henk_v
Henk_v

I am sorry, I am not able to include a link, but in the motorsport.com technical pictures article there is a close-up shot of the RB20 edge wing. Anyone notice the strange "negative kick" adjacent to it? There is a quite clear abrupt axpansion in the floor edge Just before the diffuser kick.

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

Henk_v wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 09:56
I am sorry, I am not able to include a link, but in the motorsport.com technical pictures article there is a close-up shot of the RB20 edge wing. Anyone notice the strange "negative kick" adjacent to it? There is a quite clear abrupt axpansion in the floor edge Just before the diffuser kick.
You mean this image?

vorticism

motorsport.com

Would you say the vertical duct is melding with the main duct? Or passing behind it.
𓄀

vorticism

SirBastianVettel wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 10:38
Henk_v wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 09:56
You mean this image?

https://cdn.motorsport.com/images/mgl/0 ... hnical.jpg
THat bump in side view.

Giorgio Piola
𓄀

michl420
michl420

New intern air routing for the Halo-coolers. (no side grills)

organic

michl420 wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 19:54
The gills that are the exit of the halo coolers are still open

michl420
michl420

organic wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 19:57
michl420 wrote:
Not the front ones on the sides which had that intern carbon routing for this coolers.

Henk_v
Henk_v

vorticism wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 17:42
Yes. Much obliged....

Unzinn

michl420 wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:10
organic wrote:
michl420 wrote:
Not the front ones on the sides which had that intern carbon routing for this coolers.
Indeed They actually seem to be blocked off. So either they are using a different exit (possibly the exit in the gully), or they don't need the extra cooling, whatever it's for.
motorsport.com (picture from fp3, but it was the same in qualifying)
Last edited by Unzinn on 08 Mar 2024, 21:36, edited 1 time in total.

organic

michl420 wrote:
08 Mar 2024, 20:10
organic wrote:
michl420 wrote:
Good point.

Blackout

Farnborough wrote:
04 Mar 2024, 15:19
Gills in "elephant trunk valley" appear to be exit of centreline cooling matrix that can be seen above engine directly when covers are off.
No images of inside the cover itself to see if there's directional path incorporated.

The whole strategy appears to separate each cooling function with semi discreet intake and outflow, likely by different cooling gradient ? for that dedicated function.
The sidepod main cooling function V matrix being of a consolidated group.

If these various elements can be "shuttered" individually, then that particular cooling circuit modulation may bring efficiency and size gains in being more specific to that duty cycle as opposed to being somewhat included within another profile of use.

Unsure if its generally realised with most race cars the big difference in cooling facilities when compared to most road vehicles. As a comparison, road vehicle being installed with maximised cooling capability, then modulated with thermostatic valves for liquid flow, airflow (active shuttered radiators) electric fans and temperature sensitive viscous coupled fan torque, a whole conglomeration of tools to first bring heat up fast, then maintaining at target temperature for continuous performance.

Race on the other hand, try to carry minimum cooling facilities, no thermostatic control, along with pure dependance on calculation / projection to cope with expected ambient conditions. Once set from exit venting etc, thats it for the race, they then have to work round what comes, likely by reducing PU, shifting to run in cleaner air etc.

These discreet exits with little to no interrelationship may allow a more tailored setup refinement to avoid drag and specifically prevent conflation in having to make broad choices to open general vents instead of now tweaking individual in reaction to circumstances.
I agree with this, it seems the goal is to improve the performance and characteristics of each cooling component by optimizing the inlet and/or outlet of each heat exchanger individually...

Maybe the 2nd goal is to put all that weight more forward to optimise weight distribution...

Actually this cooling layout is reminiscent of the layouts RB and STR used between 2014 and 2018 when they often had some centerline rads placed beside the engine, and before they adopted the "all-in-one" centerline cooling ensemble above/behind the engine.

But they pushed that to a new level in 2024
2017-2018

And IMO Scarbs is right and the "S-duct" is feeding the intercooler