Red Bull RB20

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
christian.falavena

Re: Red Bull RB20

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 08:28
Very clear now. Smaller letterbox inlet.

https://i.postimg.cc/44bkntS5/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/pXWNjrNt/image.png
Are you all sure that the red Bybit line is in the same position as before? compared to the higher lip of the inlet it seems to be moved down, so not sure at all that is a good comparison reference

Vanja #66

Piola's photo, top-front view

It's all quite logical, yet so inelegant for my taste...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

organic

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 10:02
Piola's photo, top-front view

Very fighter jet looking

Worth noting that the closed up side exits/louvres can be just due to circuit requirements. They had it closed up at Saudi also
Last edited by organic on 04 Apr 2024, 10:06, edited 2 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

christian.falavena wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 10:01
AR3-GP wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 08:28
Very clear now. Smaller letterbox inlet.

https://i.postimg.cc/44bkntS5/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/pXWNjrNt/image.png
Are you all sure that the red Bybit line is in the same position as before? compared to the higher lip of the inlet it seems to be moved down, so not sure at all that is a good comparison reference
I can’t guarantee it’s a perfect reference but you can also see that the distance of the sidepod inlet bottom to the s-duct inlet entrance is increased so it also confirms a change.

organic

Floor looks to be the same as before ? contrary to report from formu1a uno

AMuS

Holm86

Im pretty sure those inlets around the halo, the old one on the inside, and the new one on the outside is mostly there to collect cockpit losses, its better to use that for a small amount of cooling rather than having that turbulent flow reach the rear end.

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 10:50

AMuS
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKTvrO7WwAA ... &name=orig

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKTl19LaUAA ... &name=orig
Formu1a.uno wasn't the only one reporting a new floor IIRC so would be quite strange if that is indeed the same spec as before

Cs98
Cs98

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 09:26
organic wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 09:07
Maybe helps clean up cockpit losses that spill over under yaw?
No doubt it's a feature of the inlet. But on straights it still generates extra drag

organic wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 09:07
and i would say it's more than 5mm of sidepod inlet

With rb19 they spent half the season increasing aspect ratio of inlet and redirecting more air to the undercut and ever since other teams have all worked to do the same.. so I'd say it's clearly a fruitful development path?
It's one thing to raise the underbite bottom edge 50mm and later 30mm more. It's another thing to raise it 5-10mm when it's already the shorter/overbite edge. You'll note this short extension does not change the form of the inlet now, it merely extends up and closely along the flow path - this makes the extension even less significant than it would be if the bottom edge was still underbite form. No doubt RB is reaching saturation of this area, unless they do something more radical next
I think you are underestimating the scale slightly, that's way more than 5mm. When you look at the removable panel on the side of the inlet it becomes more clear.

Cs98
Cs98

Xyz22 wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 11:50
organic wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 10:50

AMuS
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKTvrO7WwAA ... &name=orig

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/GKTl19LaUAA ... &name=orig
Formu1a.uno wasn't the only one reporting a new floor IIRC so would be quite strange if that is indeed the same spec as before
Maybe they are just hiding it for now. The inlet obviously requires more prep time whereas the floor can be bolted on tomorrow, or between practice sessions, or different specs on both cars.

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 08:51
Unquestionably zeropods :mrgreen:

On a serious note, I can't see any major benefit of taking away 5mm of sidepod inlet and redirecting it down the undercut... Extra inlet is jut a drag and loss generator. Internals aren't repackaged, so I'm hoping we see something more soon. Otherwise, it's an uncharacteristically underwhelming update from Red Bull.
It could be just a simple track specific adjustment. Looking at it, all they did was put a strip of carbon to close off the inlet a little more. Maybe they dont need as much cooling at Suzuka and closing the inlet off reduces the drag a little so they could have a little more wing.

The theme that is playing out is moving all the openings as high as posaible to reduce flow disturbance around the shoulders and floor.
They are making the car less sensitive to wing and wheel wake, and yaw transients.
For Sure!!

deadhead

So many inlets.. are they just trying to absorb the boundary layer?

Vanja #66

ringo wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 13:51
It could be just a simple track specific adjustment. Looking at it, all they did was put a strip of carbon to close off the inlet a little more. Maybe they dont need as much cooling at Suzuka and closing the inlet off reduces the drag a little so they could have a little more wing.
I think you missed the 2 new inlets around the cockpit, hardly a drag reduction exercise :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#Aerogimli
#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 15:53
ringo wrote:
I think you missed the 2 new inlets around the cockpit, hardly a drag reduction exercise :)
It is compensated by the reduction of the sidepod inlet cooling.

The drag associated with the cooling system is a function of the total required cooling power. Considering that they are still using a Honda engine, this hasn’t changed.

Enough of the games and telling us it’s pointless, draggy, and underwhelming. This is the world champion team. The track record speaks for itself.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 04 Apr 2024, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

ringo

Vanja #66 wrote:
04 Apr 2024, 15:53
ringo wrote:
It's still drag reduction. They added a new hole with a certain area and they balance off that by removing that area from the inlet.
It's not one to one, as the upper opening is in a different location with different effect on drag. It wont have as much of a ram effect and drag as the frontal opening. It also doesnt impact flow around the sidepod as the frontal opening would.
So yeah it's drag but as you may hint there is something esle at play. That other factor may be efficiency.
For Sure!!

kediown

The deflectors