Williams/Virgin behind EBD off throttle ban.

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Re: Williams/Virgin behind EBD off throttle ban.

I don't rule anything out. On the basis of what has been reported only Williams, Virgin and HRT have been mentioned, however I still think that McLaren and especially Ferrari had a hand in this.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Nah it would hurt them too much in relation to the rest IMO
More could have been done.
David Purley

Javert

So RBR, McLaren, Ferrari etcetera will have to change exhaust system as it seems (to me) a damage to blow exhausts inside the diffuser if you can't blow them with continuity.

The question is: will they use Merc-style exhausts or blow them above the diffuser or near the beam wing ?

There's even a fourth chance: blow the exhaust gases away from the bodywork and try to exploit DRS and take the max downforce amount they can. I think there's a lot of potential near the rear wing this year, but obviously I'm not sure of it.

Ferraripilot

Javert wrote:So RBR, McLaren, Ferrari etcetera will have to change exhaust system as it seems (to me) a damage to blow exhausts inside the diffuser if you can't blow them with continuity.

The question is: will they use Merc-style exhausts or blow them above the diffuser or near the beam wing ?

There's even a fourth chance: blow the exhaust gases away from the bodywork and try to exploit DRS and take the max downforce amount they can. I think there's a lot of potential near the rear wing this year, but obviously I'm not sure of it.

They won't change their exhausts, at least not this year anyway.

In other news, I hear HRT is going to protest the EDBs for Monaco. They further stated they chose not to say anything in Spain but would be very surprised if no one said anything for Monaco. It was also implied that they are not the only ones with this intention.

beelsebob

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Diesel wrote:Please explain how McLaren's diffuser is bigger than everyone elses.
Sure thing.
Their rear wing sports vanes along its lower edge. Sauber also have much smaller solution on their current car. Having bodywork in this area effectively extends the diffuser sidewalls by some 30cm, which helps maximise the expansion ratio of the diffuser for more downforce. Such is the shape of the flow out of the diffuser, the bodywork needs to be vaned to allow the flow to expand.
McLaren have formed four vanes into the allowable area. For the test, the rear-pointing exhausts were lined up with these vanes, thus the exhaust flow will be routed by these vanes, accelerating flow inside the diffuser for even more downforce.
An EBD ban, would hit Mclaren's concept hard. They went to town on the diffuser and any change there would have big repercussions for them. No wonder Whitmarsh is tentative.
Ferrari and RBR have vanes in the exact same position.

i70q7m7ghw

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
Their rear wing sports vanes along its lower edge. Sauber also have much smaller solution on their current car. Having bodywork in this area effectively extends the diffuser sidewalls by some 30cm, which helps maximise the expansion ratio of the diffuser for more downforce. Such is the shape of the flow out of the diffuser, the bodywork needs to be vaned to allow the flow to expand.
McLaren have formed four vanes into the allowable area. For the test, the rear-pointing exhausts were lined up with these vanes, thus the exhaust flow will be routed by these vanes, accelerating flow inside the diffuser for even more downforce.
An EBD ban, would hit Mclaren's concept hard. They went to town on the diffuser and any change there would have big repercussions for them. No wonder Whitmarsh is tentative.
Red Bull also have these vanes as of Spain, IMO the performance they add is probably small, a tenth maybe? It certainly doesn't mean they have the "biggest" diffuser and we certainly won't be seeing McLaren rolling round at the back with HRT when the EBD is banned.

Most likely it will tighten up the grid and probably reorder the mid-field teams.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Diesel

That's not what I said. Of course McLaren won't be slumming it with HRT.
That said dimensionally the have the biggest diffuser and this will affect them.
More could have been done.
David Purley

Rob01

The EBD ban could still be delayed until next year. FIA thought they were going to run a turbo soon as well.

SiLo

The teams won't change the exhausts just because they can't blow constantly into the diffusor. They will probably just change the way the driver uses the throttle, simply by taking less speed into the corner and applying the throttle earlier. Or when coming off the throttle they will do it gradually.

Mclaren will not be affected any more than Red Bull or Ferrari, their systems are similar and probably produce similar amounts of downforce.

Or they will find another way to do the same thing, and it will start all over again.
Felipe Baby!

Rob01

Ever hear of left foot braking?? Some drivers can emulate the system with their own foot and not have to worry about retarding the timing to accomplish.

Hangaku

F1 cars only have two pedals so they already left foot break.
Yer.

andrew
Location: Aberdeen, Scotland - WhiteBlue Country (not the region)

Actually the Merc has 3. One is for the DRS (I think).

Do all the drivers left foot brake? I thought this was down to driver preferance.

Rob01

Some use the heel toe method. Not all drivers use left foot brake. Use the heel for the brake and keep the gas pedal down with the toe.

Hangaku

Left foot braking is the fastest way to drive, so if not all the drivers (excepetions incoming) do it, I would be very surprised.

I do remember when foot clutches were made redundant, Rubens Barichello was really struggling to learn how to use his left foot to brake, and for a while he was the only driver using his right foot for both pedals.

I also believe that David Coulthard wasn't fond of left foot braking.

In F1, the importance of left foot braking is amplified due to the need to use both pedals as quickly / late / early as possible.

As for heel/toe - why would an F1 driver do that in an F1 car? There is (generally :P) no third pedal. Left foot on brake, right foot on throttle, there is no benefit of heel/toe. Not to say they can't do it, but in F1 racing it makes no sense, if you have a free foot you will benefit from using it :P
Yer.

Rob01

Because they were raised doing the heel toe in lower and carting series.