Vettel Vs. Hamilton

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
HampusA

Re: Vettel Vs. Hamilton

n smikle wrote:Vettel is now 58 points ahead of Hamilton in the WDC. 58! That is two race wins and a 6th place.
But there´s a total of 325 points left to get.
This championship is far from over.
The truth will come out...

CHT
CHT

Drivers :(Vettel/Hamilton)
Born : (July 87 / Jan 85)
Races (68/77)
WDC (1/1)
Wins (15/15)
Pole (20/18)
Podium (25/39)

HampusA

Redmondo wrote:Of course it's not over, but McLaren does not have a history (in the last 10-12 years) of producing barnstorming cars, and Vettel (unlike Button in 2009) is an elite driver, who apparently will win over and over again given the opportunity the RB7 presents.

Vettel in some ways does come across as more mature than Hamilton. If I think back to 2007, and then to now, it's not plainly obvious that Hamilton has matured a lot. He most certainly has, but I've always thought of him as someone who can drive the wheels off but lacks some of the less obvious skills, both in and out of the cockpit.
Never ever count out Alonso ;)
It´s not over and Ferrari has sort of made this their trademark to come back from a slow start to the season.

raymondu999

While I agree with you, Hampus; I believe that the title of the thread is Vettel vs Hamilton :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

PlatinumZealot

CHT wrote:Drivers :(Vettel/Hamilton)
Born : (July 87 / Jan 85)
Races (68/77)
WDC (1/1)
Wins (15/15)
Pole (20/18)
Podium (25/39)
Doesn't matter, Hamilton has better highlight videos.. image is what people remember, and that is what legends are made of.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

DaveKillens

n smikle wrote:.. image is what people remember, and that is what legends are made of.
I could not agree more.

During his career, and for around ten years after, the numbers in the record book are the most relevant. But eventually, fans remember and talk about amazing things the driver did.

There are some drivers who finish a brilliant, but relatively uneventful career (Prost, for example) but now, years later all that is remembered about him is his rivalry with Senna.

Then there are others who separate themselves from the herd because they followed their own rules. I can go down the list of truly amazing drivers who did something incredible, and will be remember for many years by many fans. Tazio Nuvolari would compete, no matter how injured or disabled he was, and usually won. And there are scores more, but there is one driver who I can really compare Hamilton to, and it's James Hunt.

But there's a long, long way to go. Both Vettel and Hamilton are very young, and each should enjoy many years in Formula One. Heck, this is just the beginning, and we the fans are going to be able to enjoy the next ten years watching them in competition.

Right now they are only beginning to define themselves in the public eye.
Racing should be decided on the track, not the court room.

Tozza Mazza

Villeneuve won no WDC's, partly due to his death, and partly down to being beat by Scheckter at Monaco, but he's remembered some 30 years later due to his grit, determination and raw speed, and is talked of in the same calibre of Senna, Schumi and Prost.

HampusA

raymondu999 wrote:While I agree with you, Hampus; I believe that the title of the thread is Vettel vs Hamilton :P
Oops my bad, sorry! ;)

lolzi

DaveKillens wrote:[...] but there is one driver who I can really compare Hamilton to, and it's James Hunt.
How come? I wasn't alive back when he raced, so I can't comment on that, but isn't Hunt mostly known for his playboyism and millions of stewardesses and the like?