Mercedes VS Renault 2011

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
ringo

Re: Mercedes VS Renault 2011

The mercedes is the better car by a hair.
We need to look at where Nico puts the car in qualifying compared to shumacher to understand that Shumacher is the dead weight.

People are grossly underestimating Heidfeld and Petrov. They are doing a hell of a job for 2 guys who have't really settled into F1.
Heidfeld out for a year, petrov just a 2nd year driver, coming off a rookie year where his teammate was of no help to him.

I'd say these 2 are out driving the other 2 guys in the mercedes.

The merc drivers can't hold a good race together. Shumacher was the exception last race.
For Sure!!

marcush.
marcush.

Schumacher dead weight...has Heidfeld or Petrov or Rosberg shown anything comparable in the last 2 years or in their whole careers?
Yes those were unusual circumstances but they proved he is not dead .

madly
madly

Renault had underperformed after strong 2011 year start. They had some problems especially with qualification peace. It seems, that they understood their weakness and solved some of their problems. First positive changes were in Canada - they qualified closer to the rest of the McL, SF and MgP. In Valencia they will have new rear wing which should be much better for qualification. Their peace in race was usually much better than qualification positions. LRGP will fight strong for 4th or even 3th WDC position. We'll see, if things changed soon :-).

xpensive
xpensive

Someone seems disappointed with racing against Renault it seems?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92498
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

marcush.
marcush.

ohoh ..several areas of work in progress ..taking things forward for next season....

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Does it need Autosport to tell you Mercedes and Schu arent happy?

At least they admitting it. Lets see what happens from now, and the effects of Mercedes investment as the staff and tech take hold.
More could have been done.
David Purley

mep

Is this our new meeting place to discuss the Mercedes team after the other topic got permanently locked?
:wink:

xpensive wrote:Someone seems disappointed with racing against Renault it seems?

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/92498
It just sounds very honest to me. Well it’s no big secret that we are all disappointed. I don’t see any problem with telling that in public. Schumacher and Rosberg are very honest and credible in that respect. More than some big company PR guys like to hear. I prefer when things are called with its names even when reality is not how you like it to be.

Btw. Xpensive, there is the good job offer for you now:
http://www.autosport.com/directory/appointments.html
Isn’t that like a hint.

xpensive
xpensive

Please allow me to make one of my legendary wild predictions?

Norb will step back and leave RB and Bob Bell to find a proper home to the most powerful engine in F1, while MS will assume the role of pre-season tester and general advisor for 2012, as Adrian Sutil will accompany young Rosberg?

Needless to say, Rosberg will win before next years German GP.

Another Nomex?

@mep; Various roles at Marussia, Guess I Can do that?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

JohnsonsEvilTwin

What price James Key, I wonder?

As for Mercedes winning, I think they can have a sniff here or there this season with a bit of misfortune to the top 3, Monza is somewhere I think we can see Mercedes really fly, more to do with the cars straightline speed and its engine.

I look at Renault, and I think Hungary for them. Although I think with the off throttle ruling, we will have to wait and see where and how the cards stack up.

I read on twitter Mercedes could suffer.
The reason is to do with the aerodynamic pressure of the car and its short wheelbase.
This will not affect Renault as much as their blowing is pretty central, not rearward based as that of Mercedes....
More could have been done.
David Purley

LionKing
LionKing

xpensive wrote:Please allow me to make one of my legendary wild predictions?

as Adrian Sutil will accompany young Rosberg?
Wild indeed... Why would Mercedes desire almost certain incidents at every race and the associated repair bills?

dren

I think with the absence of Kubica, both Heidfeld and Petrov have looked better. Petrov isn't crashing as much, but I don't know if he's really improved speed wise. Heidfeld only has Petrov to measure up against, so he looks good.

As for Rosberg and Schumacher, I believe both are top level drivers. Schumacher is finally getting back to returning good results. He really showed he still had the skill in the last race in the wet.

I think the Mercedes has more raw pace than the Renault, but in the race, I think the Renault may have an edge due to tire wear. Put Rosberg and Schumacher in the Renault and I think you'd see them come away with better results than Heidfeld and Petrov.
Honda!

dren

The double DRS zone will kill Mercedes once again in Valencia. I expect Vettel to win unless Hamilton or Alonso can get pole.
Honda!

marcush.
marcush.

Sutil is not going to be a mercedes driver methinks.I don´t think that Mercedes will play the national card again if they cannot get Vettel...
Everyone in Renault is applauding Petrov for his improved performance this year..I guess we can rave on over kubica forever but he would not have been significantly better than the two currently driving the car.

To me Mercedes has solved the rear tyre issue at least for Canada and that could pave the ground for some podium finishes.
Renault was well sorted at the start of the season but but was not capitalising on it enough .I think they will be close but still 5th as Schumacher will equal Rosberg in points scoring this year .

dren

I think the Mercedes looked better cause of who was driving it in the wet. The qualifying pace is still there, but I don't think the rear tire issues are sorted. I expect them to suffer once again this weekend in Valencia. As I stated earlier, the double DRS zone won't help matters either. It is sure to help Button and Webber who tend to qualify further back but have faster race pace than those in front of them.
Honda!

HampusA

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Monza is somewhere I think we can see Mercedes really fly, more to do with the cars straightline speed and its engine.
True but you also need excellent traction out of slow turns, relatively good grip in the high speed corners and good brakes.
The truth will come out...