New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
strad

Re: New York Grand Prix track in 2013

I'm pretty sure Bernie don't stand for no stinking IndyCars to race on an F1 track.
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

bhall

xpensive wrote:Don't think you find many beer soaked BBQs at this race, hoping for petrolheads, wealthy wasps and polished new englanders.
You've never been to Jersey, have you?
Websta wrote:I don't see the IRL staying away from what will become the most extravagant street circuit in the USA. If not on the F1 weekend, they surely will race there. But it would be most logical for them to be run at the same time.
I can't think of one reason why the IRL would allow itself to be presented as F1's slow cousin.

xpensive

I lived in Williamsport PA for a couple of years in the mid-late 90s, why I at least hope the BBQs are a tad better in NJ,
but what I meant is that I don't xpect to see the typical Pocono Raceway crowd at the Formula One race, or should I?

Btw, any info on tickets and stuff, as I sure as hell will be there?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

bhall

Williamsport is pretty night-and-day different to anything found around the site for the race. Come to think of it, Pennsylvania in general is pretty night-and-day different to the area as a whole, and Philadelphia and Pittsburgh might as well be other planets.

Search for information on the North American Grand Prix for tickets and whatnot; I think that's the race's proper name.

countersteer

xpensive wrote:Besides, Tony George would never play second fiddle to anyone?
Tony G is no longer in control, thank goodness. At one point, he was completely out of the picture (and should have stayed that way IMHO) but his mom put him back on the board. He's also co-owner of a team with his stepson, Ed Carpenter. He's been very quiet, media wise, which is a concern.

The new sheriff in town is Randy Bernard. He's the man that put Professional Bull Riding on the map sportswise (go ahead and flame). He's mis-stepped a couple of times but has done wonders for moving Indycar forward.

donskar

bhallg2k wrote:Williamsport is pretty night-and-day different to anything found around the site for the race. Come to think of it, Pennsylvania in general is pretty night-and-day different to the area as a whole, and Philadelphia and Pittsburgh might as well be other planets.
As a native Pennsylvanian who ran bus tours to NYC, I second this comment.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

xpensive

donskar wrote:
bhallg2k wrote:Williamsport is pretty night-and-day different to anything found around the site for the race. Come to think of it, Pennsylvania in general is pretty night-and-day different to the area as a whole, and Philadelphia and Pittsburgh might as well be other planets.
As a native Pennsylvanian who ran bus tours to NYC, I second this comment.
I'm not so sure I could that much difference between Allentown and Hackensack, but Williamsport was a serious dive.

Pup
Pup

Just out of curiosity, I know that there's a good list of flyaway tracks that don't have permanent paddock facilities, but are there any others that don't have permanent garages?

xpensive

If I was MrE for a day, ie a collector of coins and such, I would drool over an F1 race in the following places; NYC, Tokyo, Beijing, London, Dehli, Moscow and Paris. Guess Jersey shore comes pretty close, while sadly Austin wouldn't make the list.

Pup
Pup

Bernie doesn't care about having a GP in NYC. He cares about being able to see NYC on the cameras.

xpensive

Pup wrote:Bernie doesn't care about having a GP in NYC. He cares about being able to see NYC on the cameras.
Why it bugs the hell out of me why MrE haven't managed to organize a race in the proximity of NYC until now?

Was he asking for too much, a circuit inside central park or perhaps wide run-off areas around Times square, pit stops at Macy's and a 200 mph pass through Greenwich village just to piss off certain individuals not to his liking?

Just a perfect day on the wild side as someone would have described it

Pup
Pup

I think it has always been an issue of logistics. For one thing, you can't shut down a section of manhattan for a week to build a track; and for another, designing a decent track on a city grid has got to be nearly impossible.

xpensive

Pup wrote: ...
For one thing, you can't shut down a section of manhattan for a week to build a track; and for another, designing a decent track on a city grid has got to be nearly impossible.
At times, I wonder if there's anything under the moon MrE cannot do, but I guess a race on the shores of NJ is as close
to Macy's an Waldorf Astoria as you can get, which he's obvouisly has accomplished, which should please CVC no end.

Pup
Pup

What he should do is just run twenty races at Monaco and have all the dictators of the world pay him a fee each week to pretend that the race is in their country.

Come enjoy the beautiful beaches of Zimbabwe.

xpensive

Doubt it, I think what MrE wants is a glitz-blitz of local importance to attract such hangarounds, in order to pay for the seats which petrolheads from F1T cannot afford or even bother with. Why I'm certain He got it right with this Soprano GP.

Tried the web, but I fail to find anything on North American Grand Prix, is there a date set anyway, I'm planning to bring little x, friends, mistress(es) and all why I think of arranging things ahead, whatever the fat Gov considered it worked on us?!