New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Nando
Nando

Re: New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

hairy_scotsman wrote:But didn't Yoovidhya pass on a little while back?
Yes he died in March this year according to wiki.

Not sure what happened to his 49% stake in Red Bull.

Edit: nevermind, it´s his son they are talking about in the article. Chalerm
I´m guessing Chalerm inherited his father´s 49% stake.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

Pup
Pup

Not dead yet...

http://www.pitpass.com/48510-New-Jersey ... t-for-2014
While doubts remain over funding, New Jersey Grand Prix promoter, Leo Hindery Jr. is confident that other obstacles which prevented the race going ahead this year will be overcome.

Indeed, Hindery insists that it was the failure to get local and federal approvals for the event that stood in the way of the bid to raise the necessary funding.

Now, on the eve of the 2013 season, Hindery is confident that all issues will be resolved and the race will go ahead next year.

"We are back under construction," he told Sports Business Daily. "We have the consents in place that we didn't have last fall, and we will quite comfortably put the race on, now probably in the mid-year of 2014 with (Bernie Ecclestone's) support.

"There are two civil engineering pieces that still need attention," he admitted. "One is the obvious one in that the course itself has to be paved to take out any crowns in the roadway, make it perfectly flat, and then Charlie Whiting and his associates demand a quality of asphalt paving that's very, very high end."

While the paving will get underway in September, the other major issue is transportation and seating alongside the Hudson River, which runs along one side of the track and forms the backdrop to this much anticipated event. No problem, insists Hindery.

"We are going to put some, like a pontoon, floats where some of the ferries that will serve the race will dock," he said. "We have about 39 ferries that will be part of the transportation scheme. And we will do some work over the summer to make the landing area for the ferries a little larger and that will include some stands right on the river's edge.

"We were on track, I thought, pretty well for June 2013," he added, "and, to be frank, we couldn't get all of the approvals necessary, most especially right around the river itself. Here in the U.S., water ways are the responsibility of multiple jurisdictions. We have now all of those consents."

While Ecclestone still believes that money was the key stumbling block, other than the local and federal approvals, Hindery claims that Hurricane Sandy also added to the problems facing the 2013 event. Indeed, he believes Ecclestone ultimately made the correct call by removing the race from the schedule.

"I think that Bernie made absolutely the right decision," he concluded.

Pup
Pup

This is the first indication to me that this GP will actually happen. That is, it looks like Bernie is going to make sure that it does...
Chris Pook joins New Jersey F1 project
The New Jersey F1 race has added Long Beach founder Chris Pook to its management team.

Pook has been named as “Special Assistant to the Chairman”, Leo Hindery. The organisation says that Pook will “provide consultation with respect to all aspects of construction, planning and execution of the Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial race.”

It quotes his long time pal Bernie Ecclestone as saying: “I am happy to be working with Chris again after some 20 years. Chris has a history of great success in Formula One, which I’m confident he’ll bring to the Grand Prix of America race. We look forward to working with him to bring F1 racing to New Jersey and New York.”

Hindery said: “The F1 Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial just gainedanother invaluable team member who will ensure the race will be like nothing the region has ever witnessed. Chris is a leader with decades of experience in American motorsports. We are delighted to add someone with his accomplishments and level of expertise to the Grand Prix of America at Port Imperial team.”
http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... ment-team/

Pup
Pup

Sounds as if Bernie himself is an investor in this race...
“There’s no reason why it shouldn’t happen. We’ve put money behind it to pay a lot of the things off, a lot of their debts. So I’m hoping now we are going to get it together. We’re going to try and make it happen next year.”
also...
“If we do this (New Jersey), it (Long Beach) won’t (happen again).”

notsofast
notsofast

It looks like it's on the calendar for 2014.

FW17

There is some random ramblings about this race coming back

but

what is holding this GP back; I thought prep time required for a steet race is much lesser than a regular circuit, yet here they are talking of years of construction.

The pit structure which is a parking garage is already completed every thing else is usually temporary like the kerbs guard rails fences grandstands etc.

What are they looking to do here that is different from any of the other Indycar races?

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

I believe F1 street circuit requirements are much higher than Indy. Im guessing its too difficult to get investors to agree to the terms...or care at all for that matter.

Where have you heard its coming back? I havent seen anything yet.

FW17

Motorsport.com thoughtfully put together an article as Leo and Bernie bumped into each other at Montreal.

By the way when you mean requirements what does it mean? I understand that a lot is needed in terms of marshal posts, signalling, crash barriers, fences, med center etc which are all temporary and needs to be mobilized in the few weeks before the GP. But what is required for years and years of perpetration from the organizers?

sgth0mas
sgth0mas

WilliamsF1 wrote:Motorsport.com thoughtfully put together an article as Leo and Bernie bumped into each other at Montreal.

By the way when you mean requirements what does it mean? I understand that a lot is needed in terms of marshal posts, signalling, crash barriers, fences, med center etc which are all temporary and needs to be mobilized in the few weeks before the GP. But what is required for years and years of perpetration from the organizers?
Road conditions would be my guess...but its really just that...a guess. It could also just be an excuse.

Its not as easy to do road work in the northern US as it is in the southern US due to weather patterns and infrastructure.

FW17

Coulthard: New York’s F1 ‘Eau Rouge rival’ would be “perfect”

Thirteen-time grand prix winner David Coulthard says Formula 1 should consider revisiting plans for a New York Grand Prix as it’s the “perfect place” to expand the championship’s footprint in America.
https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/coul ... /10469346/

Compared to all the street track layouts done in F1, this probably would have been the best.

cplchanb
cplchanb

way to dig this thread up from the grave....

vorticism

NY won't have the money nor clientele for it, it's become a place of exodus, like San Francisco. Texas, Vegas, and Florida have been absorbing these exoduses; any new US events will occur in places like those. Phoenix, SLC, Denver, maybe.
𓄀

Hoffman900
Hoffman900

vorticism wrote:
15 May 2023, 16:25
NY won't have the money nor clientele for it, it's become a place of exodus, like San Francisco. Texas, Vegas, and Florida have been absorbing these exoduses; any new US events will occur in places like those. Phoenix, SLC, Denver, maybe.
Denver has more people leaving than coming, too expensive.

Such a bad take. I live in the Mountain west and am from the Northeast. NYC is still a 18mil person metro area, with a 7 mil metro area an hour down the road. That whole region is from DC to Boston is like 20% of the US’s population and represents a significant portion of its wealth.

Denver is a 2.8mil metro area and you’d have to put together Colorado and the 5 surrounding States to equal NYC’s metro area alone. Denver’s (and SLC for that matter) population is mostly cash strapped 26yo zoomers trying to discover themselves, it is not a bastion of finance and big Fortune 100s. The CART Denver race failed, no pro series races at Pikes Peak anymore, Miller Motorsports Park doesn’t either as no one wanted to go.

It’s okay to admit you have no idea what you're talking about. :lol:

The reality is that part of the country doesn’t NEED or want F1. F1 like the Olympics, is relying on governments to pander to their needs so they can in turn make profit, hence despot countries tripping over themselves and using State money to underwrite the whole thing.

vorticism

Hoffman900 wrote:
15 May 2023, 19:20
I have no doubt you have a wealth of experience with this. There's a reason the USGP has been held in Austin the past several years (can you guess why?). Enjoy it while it lasts; I give Texas 10-15 years before it finishes metamorphosizing into California. As a mountain zone denizen you should have some sense of what I'm talking about.

All that said and ignoring demographics, it's not strictly a matter of suburban commuting distance, to speak of economics--many make a vacation out of it and probably most are investing a few days in the affair. If you want to take advantage of East Coast density, I'd maybe pick a destination spot in the Carolinas or Virginia. To some extent Montreal has served the East Coast for decades.
𓄀

purestpurist
purestpurist

vorticism wrote:
15 May 2023, 20:58
Hoffman900 wrote:
15 May 2023, 19:20
I have no doubt you have a wealth of experience with this. There's a reason the USGP has been held in Austin the past several years (can you guess why?). Enjoy it while it lasts; I give Texas 10-15 years before it finishes metamorphosizing into California. As a mountain zone denizen you should have some sense of what I'm talking about.

All that said and ignoring demographics, it's not strictly a matter of suburban commuting distance, to speak of economics--many make a vacation out of it and probably most are investing a few days in the affair. If you want to take advantage of East Coast density, I'd maybe pick a destination spot in the Carolinas or Virginia. To some extent Montreal has served the East Coast for decades.
How hard would it be to bring Road Atlanta up to F1 standards? Atlanta is a more attractive city for marketing than anywhere in the Carolinas or Virginia and still closer to either than Miami. I think COTA is fine, but if I was Liberty and looking for a replacement, I can't think of a more attractive existing circuit in the US. Road America is much worse in terms of location/infrastructure, the Indianapolis circuit is boring (and Indy might not want to share), Sebring already has a strong brand as an endurance circuit, and Watkins Glen also suffers from location problems and a layout not suited to modern F1.
Last edited by purestpurist on 19 May 2023, 07:59, edited 1 time in total.