New Jersey Grand Prix track in 2013

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
astracrazy
astracrazy

Re: New York Grand Prix track in 2013

What do people think of the actual layout? going to produce good racing? Looks like it could be like Valencia to me, but i'll wait and see.

Giblet
Giblet

richard_leeds wrote: it'll be a welcome change to see a track having to work with the existing topography and infrastructure.
I've been saying this for years. Many of the great tracks were built on existing land that for the most part dictated what was happening.

Spa, Monaco, Mosport, Laguna Seca etc. are just a few that pop to mind.

The 'corkscrew' at Laguna, arguably one of the greatest corners in all of racing, was made by a bulldozer drivers' whim near the edge of the property as a solution to connect back to the other part of the track.

When the land has to be manicured to the whim of a design, we end up with Tilkedromes.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Trailer23

So i'm way back on this topic...

What's the name of the Race? New YorkGP OR New JerseyGP?!!

Richard
Richard

Good point. I gather NJ and NY are rather precious about that sort of thing. Little brother not wanting to always be overshadowed by the big brother, but they need the big brother's fame to get attention?

beelsebob
beelsebob

richard_leeds wrote:There are a few run offs that can only be anti-clockwise, I've highlighted them below.

Look at the straight below between the bends I've marked 1 and 2. That can only be raced from right to left, starting at 1 and heading to the generous run off marked at 2?

Of course the arrow on the pit straight is a good clue too!

Uhhh, all the ones you've highlighted are only possible clockwise.

You're dead right that 1 to 2 would have to be done right to left... that's clockwise.

Richard
Richard

:oops:

I'll get my coat

dren

The layout doesn't look too bad actually.
Honda!

gridwalker
gridwalker

With all of this talk of Bernie's desire to have a race with the New York skyline as a backdrop, I am starting to fear that the TV cameras will be more set up to capture the scenery rather than the racing. I hope to be proven wrong, but this does look like another show-piece event à la Singapore.
Last edited by gridwalker on 26 Oct 2011, 22:13, edited 1 time in total.
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

beelsebob
beelsebob

gridwalker wrote:With all of this talk of Bernie's desire to have a race with the New York skyline as a backdrop, I am starting to fear that the TV cameras will be more set up to capture the scenery rather than the racing. I hope to be proven wring, but this does look like another show-piece event à la Singapore.
I expect what he cares about more than the back drop is the number of rich bankers/dignitaries in close proximity that he can get on with schmoozing with and extracting money from.

strad

didnt notice the arrow :oops:
To achieve anything, you must be prepared to dabble on the boundary of disaster.”
Sir Stirling Moss

scuderiafan

Just from an aesthetic point of view, the track looks nice. I predict it'll look like an Albert Park/Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Should be the New Jersey GP.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

It looks like we have a "situation" about the race in Jersey.

:-D
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

TEN6U
TEN6U

ONBOARD VIDEO

Hey guys, I live down the street from the proposed circuit. I took a nice 2 min video of a lap so you can get an idea of what the drivers will see in 2013.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1355ED0L1g[/youtube]

beelsebob
beelsebob

TEN6U wrote:ONBOARD VIDEO

Hey guys, I live down the street from the proposed circuit. I took a nice 2 min video of a lap so you can get an idea of what the drivers will see in 2013.
Looks pretty nice actually, the roads are mostly wider than many street circuits, but also some nice narrow twisty ones.

I totally hope they leave the speed cameras and sleeping policemen there :D