In-Season Testing

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Do you want in-season testing back?

Yes - Freedom of how much the teams want to test
15%
Yes - Limited Amount
26%
Yes - Organised dates for all teams at one venue
56%
No - Allowing straight-line testing
No votes
No - No testing at all
3%

Total votes: 39

N12ck

In-Season Testing

What are your opinions on In-season testing should it return?
Budding F1 Engineer

Dragonfly

Re: In-Season Testing

We had a similar thread recently
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=9994
but it was not a poll.

I am for complete freedom.
F1PitRadio ‏@F1PitRadio : MSC, "Sorry guys, there's not more in it"
Spa 2012

Byronrhys

I'm for at organized venues, more fun for us, more photos of the items being tested and might even get live timing coverage to speculate about who is getting faster even though testing means nothing :D .

N12ck

I think Set venues would be the best for the fans, for teams I think unlimited, but I don't think in season testing should be banned
Budding F1 Engineer

JohnsonsEvilTwin

Tricky one this.

How do you prevent another arms race escalation for the final tenth of a second?
Inevitably the cost implications for unlimited testing would be enormous.

In my opinion I think it would be best to have the Tests either on the Monday after GP Sundays, or as a set event that fans can attend.
The set event idea could be made to give fans more access to the teams and its personell.

The Monday idea would cut the cost of testing hugely, while giving teams the opportunity to corroborate data they had just 24 hours earlier, that is like gold dust in F1.

But unlimited testing would be a bad, and expensive idea.
More could have been done.
David Purley

donskar

I'm all for expanded (but not unlimited) in-season testing. The current system is simply wrong, like the marriage of an impotent man and a frigid woman. I'd also give fans greater access at these tests. Pitch it to Bernie as a way to sell more F1 air time.
Enzo Ferrari was a great man. But he was not a good man. -- Phil Hill

andartop

Here's an idea:
- Allow half the teams unlimited testing for free: Ferrari and McLaren will be allowed free testing, as will whichever is the best team of the previous season.
- Make the other half of the teams pay 200000 quid per test to the fans (fans can register to the official F1 website and the money can be transferred to their accounts via paypal) and allow them free testing in the best corners of each track only if they don't want to pay. For example, in Spa they can run up from the downhill section after the first corner through Eau Rouge to the beginning of the straight, then stop by the side of the track and be transferred back to the pits.
- Reassure all teams that all the best corners will be free to test and this will be a huge benefit for F1.
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

SiLo

andartop wrote:Here's an idea:
- Allow half the teams unlimited testing for free: Ferrari and McLaren will be allowed free testing, as will whichever is the best team of the previous season.
- Make the other half of the teams pay 200000 quid per test to the fans (fans can register to the official F1 website and the money can be transferred to their accounts via paypal) and allow them free testing in the best corners of each track only if they don't want to pay. For example, in Spa they can run up from the downhill section after the first corner through Eau Rouge to the beginning of the straight, then stop by the side of the track and be transferred back to the pits.
- Reassure all teams that all the best corners will be free to test and this will be a huge benefit for F1.
+1
Felipe Baby!

Fil

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:In my opinion I think it would be best to have the Tests either on the Monday after GP Sundays, or as a set event that fans can attend.
Why should these be separate concepts?

Surely a post-GP monday test, with tickets available, is the only solution.

- Bonus 4th day is a value-add for race fans. Provides the venue with additional revenue.
- Sponsor-events can be held on this day too. (value-add for sponsors)
- Teams are already at the venue, saving travel/setup costs.
- Track is already rubbered-in from 3 days of racing.
- Data directly comparable to the weekend's action, providing more accurate feedback for Pirelli & the teams.

F1 should be looking at the successfully-run MotoGP testing structure. Simple.
Any post(s) made by this user are (semi-)educated opinion(s), based on random fact(s) blurred by the smudges of time.
Any fact(s) claimed by this user will be supplemented by a link to the original source of said fact(s).

Richard

+1

Of course it could only happen with circuits following the traditional 2 week gap. There wouldn't be enough time between for back to back races (ie 1 week apart) or races before/after change of continent.

beelsebob

andartop wrote:Here's an idea:
Wait, why are we giving the teams who need the testing the least the ability to have them free here?
How would this work logistically, when you've got to keep various bits of the car warm/cool. Why are we saying these teams aren't allowed to test the whole track?
Define "best" corners.

Richard

beelsebob wrote:How would this work logistically, when you've got to keep various bits of the car warm/cool. Why are we saying these teams aren't allowed to test the whole track?
That's the new format for 2011. As cost cutting measures, Bernie and Sky have decreed that cars only run on the best bits of the track. That's why we can only see those parts on TV, the boring bits are being sold off to a supermarket chain.

mcjamweasel

Fil wrote:Surely a post-GP monday test, with tickets available, is the only solution.
I put this idea to Peter Windsor via the Flying Laps facebook page and this was his answer:
The Flying Lap You'd think so, but the F1 teams estimate that it would cost an extra £15m per year, per team, if they were to do this. Don't ask me how they calculate such a sum....
It seems that for some reason the teams are against the idea, I guess they're after more privacy for their testing.

ESPImperium

Id like to see a rule with each team getting 21 days per year standardised testing, split like this:

Pre Season
* 3 pre season tests over 4 days at Barcelona, Valencia Ricardo Tormo and Jerez.
* Make the lsat test a dual car test for the teams as well (Always been a fan of this)
* Limit drivers to 7 days testing pre season (To give Development Drivers and Test Drivers a chance in the car as well)

Early Season
* Mugello as venue
* 3 Day test
* Teams have to use a TD and a DDs a chance in the car for one day.
* Race Drivers can take a spin in the car, but only for a half day, up to 40 laps.

Mid Season
* Motorland Aragon as Venue
* 3 Day test
* No race drivers allowed

End Season
* Abu Dhabi as venue
* 3 Day test
* No race drivers allowed

All In Season Testing must not go above 10,000Km in total, and teams are allocated 12 engines and 5 gearboxes outside the season allowance. If a team does more than 10,000Km they will have to start from the back of the grid for one event with both cars.

FP1 Testing
* Each team must deputise a race driver in 14 GP each year.
* Teams must put in a DD in the car.

Richard

£15m per season? That's 750k to stay over for one night per team? Costs would be marshalls, tyres, fuel, hotel, food, overtime for the crew.

Say 75 crew, paid an extra £100 for the day away from home, plus £100 for the hotel. That's £150k.

Say keeping the circuit open for a day is £1.2m, ie £100k per team.

I can't believe the tyres and fuels cost £500k ?