Telemetry and Data of 2011 Monaco GP - Scarb's blog

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
mep

Re: Telemetry and Data of 2011 Monaco GP - Scarb's blog

feynman wrote:Here we go,
bill shoe wrote:Red is using the session as driver practice. He is getting a feel for the track and building himself up to it. Blue is able to use the session as car practice. He apparently does not need to spend time building up as a driver, and can immediately give the team top-level feedback about the car behavior at its limit.
See, see what I mean mep ... assuming Mr Shoe has guessed the same as everyone else here has, or maybe he hasn't, does the evidence of a single plot make his emphatic sounding assertion valid? Does he convince you? Does the plot alone convince you?
feynman haven't I already said we can't compare or take any conclusion between the two laps because it is obvious the red one is not really pushing?
I did say so.
Of course the red one is not that much slower and also doesn't need any training on the track. Maybe it is rather the blue one training for qualy and the red one collecting data.

The value of this chard lies only in the blue line and not so much because you can get something about the driver but because you can get something about the car.
The velocity vs distance plot is the most interesting one.
Btw the set time is just 3% slower than the one later set on qualy so I would say we are still in a acceptably tolerance if we want to do some calculations.

bill shoe

mep,

Are the laps a relevant driver comparison (is the red driver pushing)? I will give the benefit of the doubt to the team's actions. The team thought it was relevant and useful to do this driver comparison chart. It seems unlikely they would compare 2 laps that had no relevance to each other.

Was the red driver pushing? I will give the benefit of the doubt to red's actions. He was equal to blue in the easy areas. He was only slower than blue in the difficult areas. The combination of red's speed and confidence (at that point in the weekend) is lower than blue's. It seems unlikely that red would go slower than his speed and confidence would allow. Please remember that blue does not have a reputation for unnecessary crashing during practice sessions. Blue's speed seems consistent with his confidence.

bill shoe

Remember when we were enjoying this data?

Here's some calcs I did for the tunnel section.

Accel into/through the tunnel-
1.5 G at 144 kph
0.5 G at 248 kph

Braking out of the tunnel-
3.1 G at 248 kph
2.5 G at 144 kph

The accel power into the tunnel at 144 kph work out to 520 hp (assuming car weight of 650 kg, no air drag, etc.) This seems about right given powertrain losses and the ignored air drag, etc.

timbo

bill shoe wrote:The accel power into the tunnel at 144 kph work out to 520 hp (assuming car weight of 650 kg, no air drag, etc.) This seems about right given powertrain losses and the ignored air drag, etc.
Hmm, that's actually might good!

speedsense

bill shoe wrote:Another interesting point. Both drivers are shown steering violently to the right at the apex of the (left direction) hairpin. This does not correspond with large throttle input, therefore I assume powersliding is not occuring. I assume the steering rotation sensor maxes out at 180 degrees even though the steering lock can go slightly further, and this briefly reverses the output of the steering sensor.
There are mostly two ways to calibrate a steering sensor. One way is at the wheel/tire using castor plates, typically upwards of up to 20 degrees of movement (if it has that much).This steering is calibrated this way.. observe the use of -7 (right hand turn) to 7 (left) degrees of steering. A lot of understeer/oversteer math algorithms utilize this calibration by individually setting each side of the front wheels on separate channels for ackerman reasons.
The other way is at the steering wheels, which you would see- Left hand turn 180,90,0, (to the right) -90, -180. (at 180,-180 the steering is upside down). Yes there is movement outside of the parameters, but probably not on the racetrack.
Powersliding would show up in the rear speed signals (as peaks) and in the lateral G signal as a loss of G force....
The steering sensor normally will not be fully used (in normal use) even when the rack has maxed. Normally you won't calibrate out to those extents, unless you had a reason to....
"Driving a car as fast as possible (in a race) is all about maintaining the highest possible acceleration level in the appropriate direction." Peter Wright,Techical Director, Team Lotus

Richard

I've posted the Monaco timing sheets if anyone wants to do some detective work

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=9815&p=273526#p273526

bill shoe

The quick driver thinks data differences like this are significant.
One area in which (blue driver) insists he is better is in braking for the slow corners.

"That is mainly where I am ahead. I'm more efficient than him and it's what the telemetry shows," he revealed.