Maldonado's punishment, Spa 2011

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you think of Maldonado's penalty?

He shouldn't have been punished
8%
It is a fair punishment
17%
He should have been sent to the back
11%
He should have had a race ban
46%
He should have had a 3 race ban
13%
He should have been banned for the rest of the year
3%
He should have had his superlicense revoked
3%
Other (leave comment)
No votes

Total votes: 72

n_anirudh
n_anirudh

Re: Maldonado's punishment, Spa 2011

ajdavison2 wrote:I personally cannot believe some members are insinuating that Ham should take some sort of penalty for not having both hands on the wheel, this is just nonsense and in my opinion a really immature and bias view, probably every driver on the grid drives with their hand(s) off the wheel at some point, (at the end of grand prix for example), or for all of last year with the f-duct, or in home events where they wave to the fans. I believe it is technically against the rules for safety grounds and what not, (although I'm probably wrong on that, so don't quote me on it). But no driver would be penalised for taking his hand(s) off his wheel.
Well, not when someone one is behind you and faster than you, there was no reason for Hamilton to wave his hands etc. It wont change what happened. He could have calmly let PM past.

I guess it snow time to look forward to the race and hope everyone enjoys it.Cheers :)

gridwalker
gridwalker

In 2005, Maldonado received a 4 race ban from the Renault World Series for dangerous driving under yellow flags; he attempted several overtakes under yellow, which led to him crashing and seriously injuring a marshal.

To make matters worse, this happened AT MONACO. That sounds like he had the red mist on, otherwise he is just extremely stupid! The man with the Venezuelan money sounds more like a liability for Williams.

I don't think Maldonado's sponsors will keep backing him forever - this can't be good PR!
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

myurr
myurr

n_anirudh wrote:
ajdavison2 wrote:I personally cannot believe some members are insinuating that Ham should take some sort of penalty for not having both hands on the wheel, this is just nonsense and in my opinion a really immature and bias view, probably every driver on the grid drives with their hand(s) off the wheel at some point, (at the end of grand prix for example), or for all of last year with the f-duct, or in home events where they wave to the fans. I believe it is technically against the rules for safety grounds and what not, (although I'm probably wrong on that, so don't quote me on it). But no driver would be penalised for taking his hand(s) off his wheel.
Well, not when someone one is behind you and faster than you, there was no reason for Hamilton to wave his hands etc. It wont change what happened. He could have calmly let PM past.

I guess it snow time to look forward to the race and hope everyone enjoys it.Cheers :)
But why single out Hamilton? We've seen Alonso do this many times without you parading yourself around the message board saying that he should be penalised. By all means, if you don't like that kind of behaviour then criticise him for it and say that he shouldn't do it in future. But at least be consistent and don't be stupid enough to call for some sort of official FIA sanction just for Lewis.

myurr
myurr

neilbah wrote:we can see that hamilton is very slow out of la source and even turns right a little as maldonado pulls out to overtake....i dont think this was to move on to the racing line, im a hammy fan but i still think that this was similar to brake testing someone-quite deliberate (short jolt on wheel rather than a slow progressive turning) and he's only got himself to blame if his car is not 100% now
Sorry I just don't buy it. The session is over, and it wasn't a sharp jolt, nor did he cause contact. It's nothing like brake testing that by very definition leads to the following driver having to slam their brakes on to avoid major incident.

Lurk

gridwalker wrote:In 2005, Maldonado received a 4 race ban from the Renault World Series for dangerous driving under yellow flags; he attempted several overtakes under yellow, which led to him crashing and seriously injuring a marshal.

To make matters worse, this happened AT MONACO. That sounds like he had the red mist on, otherwise he is just extremely stupid! The man with the Venezuelan money sounds more like a liability for Williams.

I don't think Maldonado's sponsors will keep backing him forever - this can't be good PR!
In fact he even get a life ban from ASM and shouldn't have raced again at Monaco. But FIA put pressure on them to cancel the ban.

komninosm
komninosm

Lurk wrote:
gridwalker wrote:In 2005, Maldonado received a 4 race ban from the Renault World Series for dangerous driving under yellow flags; he attempted several overtakes under yellow, which led to him crashing and seriously injuring a marshal.

In fact he even get a life ban from ASM and shouldn't have raced again at Monaco. But FIA put pressure on them to cancel the ban.
Really? Link pls.

gridwalker
gridwalker

Try going to the F1 Technical thread from when it happened : viewtopic.php?t=1326

We've already been through this one ;)

EDIT :
When reviewing the thread myself, it was quite a short discussion. I'll dig a bit further ...

EDIT 2 :
This is weird. Although I know I read a lot about what happened at the time and there appear to be a number of people who are aware of the story, I cannot find any reputable sources that can confirm it. Surely that "lifetime ban" isn't a hoax?
"Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine ..."

komninosm
komninosm

gridwalker wrote:Try going to the F1 Technical thread from when it happened : viewtopic.php?t=1326

We've already been through this one ;)

EDIT :
When reviewing the thread myself, it was quite a short discussion. I'll dig a bit further ...

EDIT 2 :
This is weird. Although I know I read a lot about what happened at the time and there appear to be a number of people who are aware of the story, I cannot find any reputable sources that can confirm it. Surely that "lifetime ban" isn't a hoax?
Giblet's last post in that thread says it was an erroneous fact. Maldonado was never banned for life from Monaco.

wesley123
wesley123

Indeed, I do not know how much money Maldonado brings in to Williams, but I doubt that is worth the negative publicity they receive from him. Afterall Williams is searching some sponsors, and you dont get them with a maniac driving for your team. Probably his last year already in formula 1
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

ringo

He got his first point today though.
For Sure!!

Lurk

komninosm wrote:
Lurk wrote:In fact he even get a life ban from ASM and shouldn't have raced again at Monaco. But FIA put pressure on them to cancel the ban.
Really? Link pls.
My brother was working for one of the parties involved.

smellybeard
smellybeard

I'm seriously disappointed that Hamilton didn't get at least a similar punishment. Personally, I think Ham should have been given the same as Maldonado for the second incident and and the same again for the original collision during his hot lap. 5+5. Hamilton's total lack of common sense will not be sorted without cooling his heels for a couple of races. He may have cooled his rhetoric but his brain is still hard-wired to his right foot.

The BBC commentary team could do with a grid penalty too.

beelsebob
beelsebob

smellybeard wrote:I'm seriously disappointed that Hamilton didn't get at least a similar punishment. Personally, I think Ham should have been given the same as Maldonado for the second incident and and the same again for the original collision during his hot lap. 5+5. Hamilton's total lack of common sense will not be sorted without cooling his heels for a couple of races. He may have cooled his rhetoric but his brain is still hard-wired to his right foot.

The BBC commentary team could do with a grid penalty too.
Hamilton should have been given a 5 place grid drop for making a clean overtaking manoeuvre? I know there's a lot of bias around, but that's just nuts. They didn't even make contact!

Lurk

You must be kidding.

Penalty for overtaking during his hotlap someone who was slower and gave him plenty of space on the inside and a second penalty to be victim of a driver without brain who ran into him?

smellybeard
smellybeard

beelsebob wrote: Hamilton should have been given a 5 place grid drop for making a clean overtaking manoeuvre? I know there's a lot of bias around, but that's just nuts. They didn't even make contact!
1. It was not a an overtake maneuver; it happened during a qualifying lap and Hamilton interfered with the progress of the car he was passing.
2. They clearly made contact.

Bias! :lol: