Imola may return

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Lycoming
Lycoming

Re: Imola may return

I can stand them doing a lot of tracks on alternating years as long as the true classics (monza, monaco, silverstone, spa, etc.) remain intact every year.

Tufty
Tufty

Lycoming wrote:I can stand them doing a lot of tracks on alternating years as long as the true classics (monza, monaco, silverstone, spa, etc.) remain intact every year.
Spa is already, if the very strong rumours are true, on an alternating contract combined with a French GP somewhere, likely Paul Ricard. So even the 'true classics' aren't safe. However, that opens the way for an Imola/Monza alternation...
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars, thinking "where the hell is the ceiling?!"

beelsebob
beelsebob

Tufty wrote:
Lycoming wrote:I can stand them doing a lot of tracks on alternating years as long as the true classics (monza, monaco, silverstone, spa, etc.) remain intact every year.
Spa is already, if the very strong rumours are true, on an alternating contract combined with a French GP somewhere, likely Paul Ricard. So even the 'true classics' aren't safe. However, that opens the way for an Imola/Monza alternation...
To be fair, one could claim that Imola is as much a true classic as Monza, and because of that, it's not such bad news.

FW17

^ wasn't Imola more popular than monza for tifosi?

Tufty
Tufty

WilliamsF1 wrote:^ wasn't Imola more popular than monza for tifosi?
Yes - if I remember correctly it was nearer to Maranello?

And by that logic I would suppose it still is as well... I shouldn't be on a forum at 1am!!
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars, thinking "where the hell is the ceiling?!"

HampusA

I thought Monza was one of the oldest F1 tracks together with Silverstone and Monaco?

Imola is F1 aswell but i think in terms of longer history Monza probably has the edge.
The truth will come out...

Tim.Wright

Tufty wrote: Yes - if I remember correctly it was nearer to Maranello?

And by that logic I would suppose it still is as well... I shouldn't be on a forum at 1am!!
Bus from Maranello Cafe to Modena (830 I think), then trains go hourly to Imola. Track is 15min walk from Imola station. Easy as.

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

Tufty
Tufty

Tim.Wright wrote:
Tufty wrote: Yes - if I remember correctly it was nearer to Maranello?

Bus from Maranello Cafe to Modena (830 I think), then trains go hourly to Imola. Track is 15min walk from Imola station. Easy as.

Tim
I meant Imola was closer to Maranello than Monza.I didn't realise how close it was though!

JoeGraham11
JoeGraham11

Excellent news, also bring back Kylami too. China should go soon hopefully and maybe Bahrain will never be able to recover.

Would really like to see a purpose built GP in France though. Done by the guy who did the new Silverstone too, breaking the monopoly of Tilkeb

ESPImperium
ESPImperium

When the French returns in 2013 it will be at Paul Ricard, even though Magney Cours still has its Grade 1a licence from the FIA. The reason they wont go to Magney is that the pit facilities are poor and need updated and also the access to the track isnt great and there isnt enough hotels within a 5 mile radius of the track now.

Rumor has it that France want a purpose built facility within an half hour to hours commute from one of its 3 main cities, whitch means Paris, Lyon or Marseille. Marseille i doubt as we already have a race in the South of France. Paris, i dont think so as there is planning laws that are just too tight there, as its taken them 5 years to get the planning past for the new centre court at Roland Garos for the French Open Tennis Championships. Id recon that Lyon will be the place where there will be the next F1 race, they have great access to the city and also have a good population base, and all within a good drive to all teams, Sauber and HRT probably have the futhest to drive i think.

China is on till 2013 now, but i doubt it will remain due to the fact the track is starting to be in a bad state of repair, they has to invest $20m in improvements to get the race going this year and thats before the $32m that Bernie charged for the event to be held. The track is probably going to take another $20+ this and next year for it to stay on the callender, and the price for them rises by 10% each year.

As for South Africe, id recon that a event in Cape Town is on the cards, probably involving the Cape Town Stadium that was built for the 2010 World Cup, that would be able to hold 55,000 (after you take away seats for safety) in one area of the track. There is plenty of space, and plenty of opertunity for an amazing track with an amazing backdrop.

As soon as they get more tracks on the callander, ill be happy. Especially if Mexico and South Africa, as more tracks on more contenents are only good for the sport i think.

Australia are also looking at a new track as well, but they go almost as slow as the French for planning applications.

mnmracer
mnmracer

ESPImperium wrote:As for South Africe, id recon that a event in Cape Town is on the cards, probably involving the Cape Town Stadium that was built for the 2010 World Cup, that would be able to hold 55,000 (after you take away seats for safety) in one area of the track. There is plenty of space, and plenty of opertunity for an amazing track with an amazing backdrop.

I can see a track going through the stadium, over the round-about and through the park :mrgreen:

wesley123
wesley123

ESPImperium wrote:As for South Africe, id recon that a event in Cape Town is on the cards, probably involving the Cape Town Stadium that was built for the 2010 World Cup, that would be able to hold 55,000 (after you take away seats for safety) in one area of the track. There is plenty of space, and plenty of opertunity for an amazing track with an amazing backdrop.
And who is going to buy a ticket for that? South Africa might be richt comapred to the rest of Africa but it is still poor compared to us, Barely anyone of the country or Africa itself will be able to afford a ticket, let alone that (and excuse me if i'm wrong) South Africa isnt really the safest place to be it will be pretty empty.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

Shrieker

Kick Valencia, put back Imola instead of it. That seems just about right to me.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

Tufty
Tufty

Shrieker wrote:Kick Valencia, put back Imola instead of it. That seems just about right to me.
Agreed, Imola for the European Grand Prix.

Mr.S
Mr.S

HampusA wrote:I thought Monza was one of the oldest F1 tracks together with Silverstone and Monaco?

Imola is F1 aswell but i think in terms of longer history Monza probably has the edge.
Spa,as old as anyone.

Spa,Monza & Monaco are 3 original tracks. These 2 jewels have been present since the very 1st race. There were 2 others,not sure maybe Imola.

I'd be glad to see Imola come back,Magny Cours too along with Indianapolis.