Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty record

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bizadfar

Re: Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty re

richard_leeds wrote:errr... this is a man who is going to record the most dominant season in F1.

He can't be blamed for not demonstrating any "race craft" because he's always been out in front on his own - he's rarely had anyone to race against! #-o
+1

Plus are all you forgetting 2007-08?
Watch the Chinese GP of 2007 and specifically how Vettel achieved that position.

Traction

bizadfar wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:errr... this is a man who is going to record the most dominant season in F1.

He can't be blamed for not demonstrating any "race craft" because he's always been out in front on his own - he's rarely had anyone to race against! #-o
+1

Watch the Chinese GP of 2007 and specifically how Vettel achieved that position.
17th to 5th is an impressive feat in a crap car especially when you have no "race craft"....and don`t forget Monaco where he qualified 17th and finished in teh points in 5th place... 8)and in Brazil he qualified 7th and finished 5th when he overtook Hamilton
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

Richard

To be really honest about it all, you can only confer greatest if it is repeatable.

- Vettel is in his first spell of glory

- Hamilton got the glory in 2007 (in the context of a rookie) and 2008, has not been able to repeat it, and has been shown up by his teammate.

- Alonso got the glory in 2005 & 06, was shown up by his teammate in 07, and was within a gnat's crotchet of repeating the glory last year.

Consider they have raced for 1, 3, & 5 post-WDC seasons respectively, then you can start to see a trend. Alonso is the only one who has come close to repeating his WDC in a second era.

ps - Button could leapfrog the lot of them is he gets a second WDC with McLaren.

Traction

well Vettel did come second in 2009 when the RB was not of par and won in 2010 and is about to win his second title. Wouldn`t that make this his third spell?
Generally I don't care about what people say. I have to be clear with myself. When everything goes well, people celebrate you, when you make mistakes people criticize you.
Sebastian Vettel

beelsebob

Traction wrote:well Vettel did come second in 2009 when the RB was not of par and won in 2010 and is about to win his second title. Wouldn`t that make this his third spell?
Not really no... that would be one continuous spell... Otherwise Hamilton's spell would be two, Alonso's would be 4-5, etc.

Traction

beelsebob wrote:
Traction wrote:well Vettel did come second in 2009 when the RB was not of par and won in 2010 and is about to win his second title. Wouldn`t that make this his third spell?
Not really no... that would be one continuous spell... Otherwise Hamilton's spell would be two, Alonso's would be 4-5, etc.
fair enough.... 8)
Sebastian Vettel

PlatinumZealot

Traction wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Traction,

Thats true, but Hamilton has displayed this prior to this year. He also matched Alonso(some say beat, in my book the pair matched each other) in 2007 in a year both offered some very impressive drives.

One thing is for sure with Hamilton, he impresses more than he disappoints. And he has done so with Alonso, Button and Kovalainen as team mates.
Bourdais, Webber and Speed with all due respect do not compare to the above three.

For me at least, the Jury is still out on Vettel as he hasnt been tested due to the various factors surrounding his career thus far.
Thats not a criticism of him, just that we have yet to see it. But there are signs that he struggles when faced with chasing down opponents in front of him. Thats not a judgement, but an observation. In time he may become a demonic overtaker and bang wheels with the best. But right now, its not what his reputation is built on.
He teamed up with Alonso for one season and they won teh same amount of races and ended up on the same points.

I would hardly call Heikki Kovalainen a worthy team mate....

Its only Button that I would rate as anything of value and well the points at the moment speak volumes.
Look who is talking... Scot speed, Bourdais, Luizzi, Webber? lol.
What a fearsome line up.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

ringo

richard_leeds wrote:To be really honest about it all, you can only confer greatest if it is repeatable.

- Vettel is in his first spell of glory

- Hamilton got the glory in 2007 (in the context of a rookie) and 2008, has not been able to repeat it, and has been shown up by his teammate.

- Alonso got the glory in 2005 & 06, was shown up by his teammate in 07, and was within a gnat's crotchet of repeating the glory last year.

Consider they have raced for 1, 3, & 5 post-WDC seasons respectively, then you can start to see a trend. Alonso is the only one who has come close to repeating his WDC in a second era.

ps - Button could leapfrog the lot of them is he gets a second WDC with McLaren.
Hamilton hasn't been shown up by any teammate.

Shown up is like being exposed for being slower, or a worse overall driver.

Not accurate to say that, especially when the season isn't even over, and the reasons for him being behind is not pace, but team errors and unlucky driver decisions.

Wishful thinking on your part. Remember the discussion here is Vettel's worth in terms of his skills and abilities. In that sense Hamilton hasn't been shown up, even Alonso hasn't been shown up. It's just being beaten by a rookie weighs in Lewis' favour. But in all truth they canceled each other out.
For Sure!!

Traction

n smikle wrote:
Traction wrote:
JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:Traction,

Thats true, but Hamilton has displayed this prior to this year. He also matched Alonso(some say beat, in my book the pair matched each other) in 2007 in a year both offered some very impressive drives.

One thing is for sure with Hamilton, he impresses more than he disappoints. And he has done so with Alonso, Button and Kovalainen as team mates.
Bourdais, Webber and Speed with all due respect do not compare to the above three.

For me at least, the Jury is still out on Vettel as he hasnt been tested due to the various factors surrounding his career thus far.
Thats not a criticism of him, just that we have yet to see it. But there are signs that he struggles when faced with chasing down opponents in front of him. Thats not a judgement, but an observation. In time he may become a demonic overtaker and bang wheels with the best. But right now, its not what his reputation is built on.
He teamed up with Alonso for one season and they won teh same amount of races and ended up on the same points.

I would hardly call Heikki Kovalainen a worthy team mate....

Its only Button that I would rate as anything of value and well the points at the moment speak volumes.
Look who is talking... Scot speed, Bourdais, Luizzi, Webber? lol.
What a fearsome line up.
Never said they were fearsome...
Sebastian Vettel

izybluffen

Traction wrote:
bizadfar wrote:

+1

17th to 5th is an impressive feat in a crap car especially when you have no "race craft"....and don`t forget Monaco where he qualified 17th and finished in teh points in 5th place... 8)and in Brazil he qualified 7th and finished 5th when he overtook Hamilton
Well how come he cant repeat any of that when he is now in the best car ?
He only got 7th at Silverstone 2010 after he was gifted a safety car and crashed into Sutil for that 7th place.

Traction

How do you know he can't? Is your assumption really based on one race?
Sebastian Vettel

raymondu999

Izy- he hasn't shown he can or he can't. He hasn't been, other than Silverstone and maybe Spa 2010, in such situations.

About the silverstone safety car, I think that's slightly unfair. He could have been doing what Button did in Singapore 2011 and saving his tyres for a late surge in case a safety car comes about
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Traction

raymondu999 wrote:Izy- he hasn't shown he can or he can't. He hasn't been, other than Silverstone and maybe Spa 2010, in such situations.

About the silverstone safety car, I think that's slightly unfair. He could have been doing what Button did in Singapore 2011 and saving his tyres for a late surge in case a safety car comes about
...in fairness though his early races showed he can when he has to...
Sebastian Vettel

raymondu999

Traction - you should re-read izy's post. He's asking why Vettel can't repeat that now. I'm saying he hasn't been able to show it because he hasn't had the opportunity to.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Traction

raymondu999 wrote:Traction - you should re-read izy's post. He's asking why Vettel can't repeat that now. I'm saying he hasn't been able to show it because he hasn't had the opportunity to.
I hear you and I agree. He doesn`t get into the same situations as he did when he was in the TR however I am just saying that when he did need to do it he pulled out the goods 8)
Sebastian Vettel