Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty record

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
wesley123

Re: Vettel just shy of Grand Slam, Hamilton beats penalty re

mnmracer wrote: But it's a completely pointless thing to say without the context of the rest of the field. You're saying he's not as good as everyone thinks. Good is relative, so if you're saying he's not as good because the car is 1.5s faster, than you need the context of the other cars being faster or slower as well. You're just calling out random blurbs of insanity in order to smear a driver.
I was not and as a fact I have no dislike of Vettel whatsoever, just thinking he is voerhyped. Of course the '1.5sec rule' applies to the rest of the field too, but the reason I placed it around Vettel is simple; the post was about him and the topic is about him, if it was the whole field I would be more likely to place it around the whole field. I dont even know why I should mention the rest of the field in a topic only dedicated to Hamilton/Vettel, but opinions around that differ. So because you like it, this post was about the whole grid =D
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

PlatinumZealot

wesley123 wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:Come on now Wesley. None of us knows what goes on behind the scenes. You might feel Webber does more of the work, you might feel Vettel does more of the work; whatever. You don't know which is the true picture.

And you keep saying he's a spoilt brat at RBR. How do you know that? I'm not saying he is, I'm not saying he isn't, but post-Silverstone there is absolutely no proof of that
I do not know that, fair enough. But the way he talks and such. For example, Vettel is always joking, making fun while Webber is being much more serious, Webber just seems to work harder, and with that I am in the opinion that Vettel and mainly Red Bull are taking Webber a bit for granted. Not saying Vettel is lazy or bad, I am just saying Webber works harder and most of the field would do the same in Vettels position. Sure this is not a fact, but based on what I see Webber seems to be doing all the work while Vettel is promoting the Red Bull brand, throwing in a bit of conspiracy in here, but with Vettel promoting Red Bull, of course he is the one who has to win. Although not proven(and in what way even provable), Red Bull is favouring Vettel.
They call me blind fanboy, but even i think it's far out to say Webber works harder than Vettel. On the contrary, it's even more likely that Vettel works harder perfecting his lines and timings more than webber. But we just don't know.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Tim.Wright

wesley123 wrote: ...For example, Vettel is always joking and making fun
Typical german
wesley123 wrote: ...while Webber is being much more serious...
Typical Australian

Tim
Not the engineer at Force India

flynfrog

Tim.Wright wrote:
wesley123 wrote: ...For example, Vettel is always joking and making fun
Typical german
wesley123 wrote: ...while Webber is being much more serious...
Typical Australian

Tim

Mandrake

You guys are giving me a good laugh sometimes :-) you agree that Vettel has not had the need to show race craft, but at the same time take away from him because he cannot show race craft? This is just like saying somebody's rubbish at surfing while there is no wind....

beelsebob

Mandrake wrote:You guys are giving me a good laugh sometimes :-) you agree that Vettel has not had the need to show race craft, but at the same time take away from him because he cannot show race craft? This is just like saying somebody's rubbish at surfing while there is no wind....
No, it's like saying "wow, last year's surfing season, he sucked even when there was wind, I wonder if he's got any better... Shame we can't tell due to the lack of wind."

mnmracer

beelsebob wrote:
Mandrake wrote:You guys are giving me a good laugh sometimes :-) you agree that Vettel has not had the need to show race craft, but at the same time take away from him because he cannot show race craft? This is just like saying somebody's rubbish at surfing while there is no wind....
No, it's like saying "wow, last year's surfing season, he made a few mistakes even when there was wind, I wonder if he's got any better... At least he's shown this season on the few windy occasions he's gotten better. Shame some fanboys need 10 good examples to make up for one bad examples, and only apply that to Vettel while Hamilton crashes into the rest of the field but is the master overtaker."
Not being a big fan of double standards, I fixed that for you ;)

F1trainee

Still errors hunting Hamilton and Massa

At last I find out the Japanese incident video - Videos - Hamilton's Qualifying Incident in 2011 Japanese GP
http://www.formula1onlive.com/2011/10/v ... nt-in.html

ced381

n smikle wrote:They call me blind fanboy, but even i think it's far out to say Webber works harder than Vettel. On the contrary, it's even more likely that Vettel works harder perfecting his lines and timings more than webber. But we just don't know.
That's exactly what Dr Paul Cheung [RRB's chiropractor] told me when I spoke to him at Montreal while he was tasked to watch weather changes at the hairpin. He said that Vettel spends way more time concentrating on his lines and techniques during race weekends then Webber does. He said that he worked with many drivers before and that Vettel is the most serious about his work. He also said that Jacques Villeneuve was basically an ass, but he said that in better words... ;)
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

raymondu999

Autosport Plus (a subscription service) published an article of Renault Sport F1 (engine manufacturer) talking of Vettel. He said he's worked with 7 WDCs in his time, and if you listed them in terms of how late they stayed in the circuit, Vettel was at the very top, higher than Prost/Schumi's. Alonso he said wasn't far off though. Having said that Vettel is the only wdc to be powered by a Renault right now so there is probably a bit of bias. Funnily enough he said Nigel was the worst at that

Paul Hembery has also said that Vettel is the one driver who is always talking to Pirelli engineers to see what can be done in terms of driving and setup.

Ced, how exactly did you get to meet and talk to Paul? Is he the one who has spiky hair, or the one who looks like Jackie Chan?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ced381

The one with the spiky gray hair. My girlfriend spotted a guy entirely dressed in Red Bull clothes. I took a look and realised he was Dr Paul Cheung. We went to speak to him, very very nice guy. He answered all our 10 000 questions and signed all of our GP passes. I also have pics of him with me and my gf.
'09 Volkswagen CC Sportline 2.0TSI 'Jennie'

raymondu999

Do share! What other insights did he give?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

bill shoe

I was going to post this on the "2011 World Champion Vettel" thread but it's locked!! So it goes here. I compared the dominant seasons of Schumacher 2004 and Vettel 2011.

I looked at the qualy gap for each race between them and the fastest non-teammate car--

Schumacher 2004 outqualified the fastest non-teammate car 11 times, and underqualified it 7 times. His average gap to the fastest non-teammate car was roughly 0.0 - 0.1 seconds faster.

Vettel 2011 outqualified the fastest non-teammate car 14 times and underqualified it 1 time. His average gap to the fastest non-teammate car is roughly 0.6 - 0.7 seconds faster.

Then I compared race wins--

Schumacher 2004 won 13 of 18 races (72%), and his Ferrari team won 15 of 18 races (83%).

Vettel 2011 has won 9 of 15 races (60%), and his RB team has also won 9 of 15 races (60%).

I was surprised at how competitive non-Schumacher/Ferrari cars were during 2004 qualy, despite getting trounced in the race. I was also surprised at how dominant Vettel/RB was in qualy this year despite having won fewer races than Schumacher.

We are probably lucky in 2011 because the boredom seems to be confined to Saturday. Sunday is more competitive.

CHT
CHT

bill shoe wrote:I was going to post this on the "2011 World Champion Vettel" thread but it's locked!! So it goes here. I compared the dominant seasons of Schumacher 2004 and Vettel 2011.
No idea why the thread is locked when the 2011 season is not even over yet.