Why Monaco and not Nordschleife?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hail22

Re: Why Monaco and not Nordschleife?

richard_leeds wrote:
Hail22 wrote:The kerb isn't a safety device its to prevent cutting corners, also thats poor quality of workmanship which falls under in construction as poor quality control.
I'm at a loss to understand how a loose kerb is different to a loose manhole cover. The cars drive over both of them. Both of them could cause crashes if incorrectly fitted.

Also you've ignored the second incident at Singapore when there was a bolt sticking out a kerb, yes a metal spike sticking up by 50mm or so.

I see Manchild has quoted the Shanghai incident.

I think the idea of cancelling Monaco due to a single incident of a loose manhole cover doesn't add up.
Single incident at Monaco, oh so Perez didn't crash during qualifying last year right? or Kovaleinen a few years before that, that crane (200 tonne mobile crane) is fully exposed imagine if there is a fight down that straight and the car is jack knifed thus thrown into the direction of the crane?

Spa has been ruined with the silly Tarmac, its like the FIA wants to make racing artificial with virtually no gravel traps, the grassed sections now tarred, the Bus stop disgrace makes my blood boil I prefer the old bus stop.

Also I Agree for the return of the Argentinian and Mexican Grand Prixs, I have some VHS videos of those races in my collection box :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Richard
Richard

When I said "incident" I was referring to loose manholes, grating, kerbs etc. That was your reason for demanding that F1 does not race at Monaco.

Hail22

richard_leeds wrote:When I said "incident" I was referring to loose manholes, grating, kerbs etc. That was your reason for demanding that F1 does not race at Monaco.
One of several reasons...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Websta

I would only be interested in the Nordschleife as a time trial event as I think the races would be boring - it's a massive Hungaroring! And I don't think you could undercut to pass as with 15 odd laps, everyone will be pitting on the same laps (at least with the leaders). I don't think the Safety car would be a problem, they would just need more than one so it could pull in at the end of sectors rather then only into the pit lane. Qualifying could also be managed by only timing a half the track which gives you a quarter of the lap to warm up the tyres and the final quarter to cool down and then pit.

I think a time trial event would be more entertaining though, like the old top ten shoot out.

SeijaKessen

For anyone who wants to see F1 run again at the Nordschleife, please go watch the video of Niki Lauda almost burning to death to be reminded of why it is a bad idea.

At least then fellow drivers would make an effort to help a driver.

What would happen were F1 to run there today and a similar situation occurred?

I could see Schumacher blowing past while giving a thumbs up.

wunderkind
wunderkind

I think the Nordschleiffe will not be a F1 venue because there are many fundamental problems with the track that makes it unsuitable for F1 racing.

The whole circuit will have to be re-surfaced to F1 standard and there are not enough run-off areas in many high speed parts of the circuit.

SeijaKessen

And as others have said, Monaco is the last of the true grand prix tracks.

The Tilkedromes do not contain the soul of what grand prix racing was about.

Spa Francorchamps should be run on the old 14KM track. That was a true grand prix.

The video game racing sim that is in production, rFactor 2 released a beta version which consists of the old Spa driven with a '68 F1 car. Night and day difference to see that old layout that is long gone. Infinitely more challenging if you ask me.

Websta

SeijaKessen wrote: At least then fellow drivers would make an effort to help a driver.

Considering that a driver would be out of the race/quali/practise session if they stopped to do a marshall's job, yes I think all drivers would drive past or else their teams would be very annoyed. And Schumacher isn't so cold either, I remember him being very concerned for his brother in Indianapolis when he crashed.

Richard
Richard

Nowadays there are enough marshalls to give full coverage, so no need for other drivers to stop. One could say that drivers stopping would get in the way.

Also cars are different now, the cockpit is designed as a survival cell, the seat doubles up as a spinal board when extracting injured drivers, they have engine bay extinguishers, and the fuel tanks are crash tested & fire proof.

If I crashed, the last thing I'd want is an untrained driver doing some heroics trying to drag me out of the car by pulling on my arms with the liklihood of causing further injury.

So yes, if I saw a crash I'd drive past too and stop when the red flag came out. We're in a professional era, let each person do a professional job.

Ps - far worse than Lauda was the Peter Collins death. Marshalls stood by watching the car burn, they didn't have fire proof overalls. The drivers had fire proof overalls but didn't stop to help then either, except one, but they needed several to turn the car over. You can see it on youtube (I'm on a mobile so can't post a link now).

Times have changed with respect to marshalling and safety.

Mandrake
Mandrake

richard_leeds wrote:Nowadays there are enough marshalls to give full coverage, so no need for other drivers to stop. One could say that drivers stopping would get in the way.
The marshalls around the ring are also better trained and equipped than in some countries where the F1 circus is new (China, India etc.)

FW17

Mandrake wrote:
The marshalls around the ring are also better trained and equipped than in some countries where the F1 circus is new (China, India etc.)

What BS

RB7ate9
RB7ate9

You can have a thousand marshalls and a thousand cameras and completely re-pave the 'ring to meet the latest Tilke-o-tracks' level of safety, but the sheer size will still be daunting until someone (perhaps some team with a showcar) seriously puts down rubber to the 'ring's graffitti'd asphalt to give an indication of lap-times. I read that Nick Heidfeld made some runs in a show-event (hence times still 8:24).

It would be nice to get an idea of how fast a modern F1 car can get around the Green Hell. That would, then, give an indicator to the potential of bringing it back to the schedule, either as a full GP or a non-championship event.

Websta

I suspect an F1 car would get around in 5 minutes 30 and below. If anyone knows rFactor lap times, they would give a rough ball park figure of the times.

FW17

The track should expect averages around Spa of 235 kmph, with the current configuration and the pits, track will be 24.8 kms, which means about a lap of 6m30s

SeijaKessen

Websta wrote:
SeijaKessen wrote: At least then fellow drivers would make an effort to help a driver.

Considering that a driver would be out of the race/quali/practise session if they stopped to do a marshall's job, yes I think all drivers would drive past or else their teams would be very annoyed. And Schumacher isn't so cold either, I remember him being very concerned for his brother in Indianapolis when he crashed.
Yet there was a time when fellow drivers would stop to try and help a competitor.

I don't know, if I was racing and my brother had a major crash, the outcome of the race would be not of the utmost importance any longer...I would stop to make sure he was ok regardless.

Look at when Ronnie Peterson was involved in the crash at Monza 1978...plenty of the other drivers tried to go check on him.