[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Manoah2u

[ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

Team: Image Mercedes AMG Petronas Formula One Team
Base: Image Brackley, Northamptonshire, United Kingdom
Team principal(s): Toto Wolff (Head of Motorsport), Andy Cowell (MD, Powertrains),
Technical director: James Allison

Race drivers:

44 Image Lewis Hamilton
77 Image Valtteri Bottas

Test drivers :

Chassis: F1 W11 Hybrid
Engine: Mercedes V6 Turbo
2019 position: 1st (739 pts)

This thread is to discuss the 2020 Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 TEAM
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

NathanOlder

Re: [ 2020 ] AMG Mercedes F1 Team - Mercedes

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-ham ... -contract/

Hamilton to sign a 2yr extension, apparently in advanced stages
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

izzy

So, with typical cunning, they're launching in secret at Silverstone and getting in some media day running. So as usual they're gonna rock up at Barca and go round and round and round while the others are fixing things in the garage :)

Wass85

Hamilton vowing to be a machine this year, let's see if he can improve at 35.

Manoah2u

Wass85 wrote:
17 Jan 2020, 19:02
Hamilton vowing to be a machine this year, let's see if he can improve at 35.
It's interesting to see that contrary to belief and expectancy, it seems like Hamilton is
getting hungrier and hungrier for being even better and achieving even more results,
which is fascinating if you concider he's offcourse also aging, but it's great to see that
he's breaking the idea that you'd be 'outdated' if you're 30+.

Though i have much respect for Schumacher (more now than in the heydays actually),
i am growing and growing in respect for Hamilton, and his desire to now fully beat Schumacher's
stats is admirable and exciting. Being able to beat those stats is absolutely remarkable,
and the realization he can achieve even more in F1 and actually become the 'new' all-time great
for probably a long, long time to come is even more remarkable.

Motivation offcourse is a thing, but Hamilton isn't showing any signs that he's looking to step out
of F1 anytime soon. Whether he's gonna stay with Mercedes or go for red, it's not unlikely that
he's going to get his 8th title in the coming years. Could he even manage 10?!!!

Whatever the case, if we concider his opponents, it's unlikely that there is anybody in the F1 grid
right now that is able to beat those numbers, realistically speaking.

The only driver 'close' to Hamilton right now is Vettel, and i think we can all agree he's not in a situation
that it's going to seem likely he's going to be able to add another 4 or more titles to that tally,
especially concidering motivation. Then again, things might turn out totally different if Ferrari
brings Vettel a monster dominating car, and LeClerc turns out to miss that final stretch to make it.

Concidering LeClerc, or Verstappen for that matter, yes, they are the new generation for a while to come
and have their undeniable talent, neither has a WDC under their belts and it remains to be seen if they're
going to get a car capable of that within the next 3 seasons.

That means that both Leclerc and especially Verstappen have already served plenty of years in F1 by then
with still a dry WDC spell, and then if Hamilton reaches 8 titles, not unlikely imho,
then that means that outside of grabbing a title and thus beating Hamilton, which would be amazing and
great no matter what happens, then they still need to find 7 more titles (each).

One could reasonably argue, that if they won't make that number, then that simply would prove Hamilton
was better than them, no matter that he lost once or twice to them in a WDC battle.

Point thus is, Hamilton is going into the books as the all time great ever. Above Schumacher and Senna.
I'd say that Hamilton would be more or less and example of what we might have had had Senna not perished.
And though i will probably always hold Senna as the biggest F1 hero of all time, i can't deny that Senna came
from a wealthy family in full contrast to Hamilton coming from a 'poor' family, which imho makes it all the more impressive.

I am looking forward for a fierce 2020 competition.

Hamilton vs Verstappen vs LeClerc will be EPIC.
"Explain the ending to F1 in football terms"
"Hamilton was beating Verstappen 7-0, then the ref decided F%$& rules, next goal wins
while also sending off 4 Hamilton players to make it more interesting"

aral

Children, children ! Please have a look at the title of the thread. Schumacher and Irvine (both of whom drove for Ferrari) have no place on this thread. Further, this attitude of "my driver is better than yours" ying yang is totally pointless. A number of posts have been removed, so please now concentrate purely on the year ahead.

aral

Despite the request to stay on topic, some people seem to want to regurgitate past years drivers performances in whichever team. PLEASE stay on topic !

Webber2011

It's a pretty --- job being a Mod.

I've been one before on a fairly large forum, and you're pretty much damned if you do and damned if you don't.

As has been mentioned, the professional trolls know exactly how to stay just within the rules, and entice others to be just outside.

Best thing to do, as we all know, is "don't feed the trolls"

I highly doubt any of the Mods here are in cahoots with anyone, let alone trolls.

hollus

I’ll leave that last post stay. Describes my feelings very well. Now, this mod guessed a bit too much, mea culpa. Somebody asked for humility? Here my apologies, many actions have been taken. And no, we wont be perfect, ever.
Now, back on topic, SVP!
Rivals, not enemies.

f1jcw

It is a very strange preseason. Very quiet on the rumour front,

All I’ve Heard is 2 rumours that Ferrari are looking poor
1 rumour that merc have unlocked unbefore seen performance from the engine.

All 3 are not really reliable at this moment

NathanOlder

f1jcw wrote:
20 Jan 2020, 01:40

All 3 are not really reliable at this moment
Hope all 3 are correct though [-o<
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

basti313

f1jcw wrote:
Is there anything we do not know yet? Do you see any reliable expert doubting the next WDC for Hamilton?
f1jcw wrote:
Surprising? They have a wrong concept and no way they unlock resources to solve this. Every minute of development in regard to concept is already on the 2021 season in every team.
f1jcw wrote:
Switch off the sandbagging mode?

Serieously: If you look at engine usage statistics, the lifetime of the Merc engines was extraordinary. If you remove the DoA engines and the testing at the end of the season then most drivers could have gone with two ICE through the season. They can unlock power by just going less conservative.
Don`t russel the hamster!

Phlumbert

https://f1i.com/news/366481-hamilton-al ... cedes.html
Lewis Hamilton is allegedly seeking to boost his annual salary with Mercedes to a lofty $60 million from 2021, but the German manufacturer could reject its star driver's demands.

While both parties are likely holding their cards tight to their chest and keeping their talks under wraps, Italy's Corriere dello Sport claims that Hamilton has submitted to his employer the conditions that must be met for the six-time world champion to extend his stay with the Silver Arrows squad.

Hamilton has reportedly asked for a four-year contract valued at 55 million euros a year and an ambassadorial role with Mercedes when he retires from the sport.

The 35-year-old's financial demands represent a significant hike relative to his current salary, estimated at €42 million according to Corriere dello Sport.

Hamilton's provisions could all fall on deaf ears however as Mercedes is apparently taking a cautious approach to its F1 future, with the German team only willing to commit to two years, while it's also rumored that the Briton's financial demands from 2021 were frowned upon by Daimler Benz president Ola Kallenius.

As usual, the standard disclaimer applies to this sort of report which inevitably must be taken with a grain of salt.

Nevertheless, Mercedes AMG F1 boss Toto Wolff has publicly stated that the reigning world champions could remain just as strong without their star driver.

"Lewis is a fundamental element of our team and my priority goes to him," Wolff said.

"However, it is clear that I do not have full control over this type of situation. We will sit down at a table and talk about the future.

"Changes in the world of Formula 1 are frequent and often represent opportunities.

"But as long as we are able to produce a quick car and a powerful engine, we will always have the opportunity to choose the drivers," added the Austrian.

"And I think there will be no doubt that Lewis is our priority. We’ve tried to make it work with the team.

"And I have tried to make it work with Lewis. But the most important is that we have a good car."

LM10

When has Toto told all that? These are pretty strong words.

izzy

Racefans are speculating about Mercedes quitting F1 at the end of the season. Seems an idiotic idea to me when it's worth literally billions in promotion, but generally Racefans are fairly solid:
The board of Mercedes‘ parent company Daimler will meet in two weeks’ time to decide whether to withdraw its team from Formula 1 at the end of the 2020 season.

RaceFans, in a joint investigation with Autocar, has learned the meeting will take place on February 12th. Mercedes’ current contract to participate in F1 expires at the end of this season.
Mercedes’ departure would raise immediate questions over the future of its drivers, including reigning world champion Lewis Hamilton, and its chassis building operation in Brackley.

While Mercedes’ factory F1 programme has been extremely successful – the team has swept the drivers’ and constructors’ championships in each of the last six seasons – several signs point to a likely exit for the three-pointed star.
https://www.racefans.net/2020/01/29/mer ... t-f1-2020/