Young Drivers Test: Abu Dhabi - 15th to 17th Nov 2011

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Richard

Re: Young Drivers Test: Abu Dhabi - 15th to 17th Nov 2011

What are those school kids doing there?

Oh, they're the drivers ... I feel very very old now.

Giblet

http://www.autosport.com/gallery/index.php/id/2671

lots of photos here. Red Bull is running a similar rig to Mclaren's nose spider. Ferrari looks like it is draggin around a whole fence.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

astracrazy

I'm interested to see if Macca do such a thing with exhausts tests or even what Ferrari are doing. It might be a clue on there sidepod design for next year (in terms of U shape)

Richard

Giblet - surely RB is the original one? So McLaren is a copy of RB?

Anyway ... We've seen RB run cables from that block on the nose down to the the wing before, but they now appear to have struts near the suspension points to support an pitot rake behind the wing.

andartop

pob wrote:It's already underway, started at 5am GMT.
Chilton & Cecotto:
:shock:
How old is the guy at the right???
He doesn't look old enough to have sex legally, let alone drive an F1 car!
Wonder how Rubens would feel if he had him as a team mate!
=D>
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Giblet

richard_leeds wrote:Giblet - surely RB is the original one? So McLaren is a copy of RB?
Wasn't Mclaren the only team to run that rig lat year? I remember when Mclaren showed up with it there was much talk and questioning, as if it was the first time it was used.

I could be mistaken, its happened before.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

beelsebob

Giblet wrote:
richard_leeds wrote:Giblet - surely RB is the original one? So McLaren is a copy of RB?
Wasn't Mclaren the only team to run that rig lat year? I remember when Mclaren showed up with it there was much talk and questioning, as if it was the first time it was used.

I could be mistaken, its happened before.
Pretty sure you're dead right – RedBull certainly weren't testing flexiwings in any obvious way before that, it was half way through the season that people noticed it happening from photos, and the tests got jumped up.

Richard

RB were first ... I think it was winter 09/10 ?
McLaren used in March 11

viewtopic.php?p=230508#p230508
viewtopic.php?p=230514#p230514

Donuts

Valterri Bottas, I have a gut feeling that somehow the fin's have yet again found a huge talent/champion in motor racing. I think he'll carry the crown after Mika Hakkinen and Kimi Raikkonen. WTF is he doing with Williams, that's my question? I hope he gets a drive in F1 soon.
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

xDama

Can someone tell me what Gary Paffet is doing in the YDT? I mean, he ain't a young driver, Mclaren are clearly using the time just for testing.
"I race to win, and if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver." - Ayrton Senna

Giblet

richard_leeds wrote:RB were first ... I think it was winter 09/10 ?
McLaren used in March 11

viewtopic.php?p=230508#p230508
viewtopic.php?p=230514#p230514
@richard - to be clear we are talking about the spider on the nose of the Red Bull, that Mclaren used in this seasons early test. I have never seen a Red Bull prior to this Abu Dhabi test with that rig.

Now to confuse me more, the two threads you posted are the Mclaren thread for the current car, and the 2011 testing thread. Nether have a pic of this rig that I can find on a Red Bull.

Do you have a link to a pic of the Red Bull prior to this test with that rig attached?

Giblet

xDama wrote:Can someone tell me what Gary Paffet is doing in the YDT? I mean, he ain't a young driver, Mclaren are clearly using the time just for testing.
The test should be called "Test for anyone to drive an F1 car who is not already raced in F1" I think.

timbo

Giblet wrote:Do you have a link to a pic of the Red Bull prior to this test with that rig attached?
They definitely tested with that rig before 2010, and when the whole flexi-wing thing took off, people started pointing fingers at that.

astracrazy

Giblet wrote:
xDama wrote:Can someone tell me what Gary Paffet is doing in the YDT? I mean, he ain't a young driver, Mclaren are clearly using the time just for testing.
The test should be called "Test for anyone to drive an F1 car who is not already raced in F1" I think.
Yep, he qualifies because he hasn't raced. Kinda makes a joke of it has he has been a consistent test driver for the last x number of years (and his 30 years old). I haven't seen anything new on the macca yet so I'm not sure what there testing?

Perhaps the regs should change to allow only driver who have done less than so many miles/km in an f1 car? Should help push towards 'new' driver evaluation.