Did Bernie lie?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
WhiteBlue

Re: Did Bernie lie?

Source
Bernie Ecclestone wrote:“The judge has been very good,” he told British television Sky. “He has said you’ve just got two days a week in court, Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

“On the Wednesday’s he’s going to try and get things out of the way a little bit earlier so I can leave and carry on doing what I normally do,” added Ecclestone.
The proceedings start Tuesday in a week. We will see what the judge in Munich will do. They are known for being tough on celebreties. One guy send Uli Höness (Bayern Munich manager) away for tax fraud of € 30 m. He is serving a 3.5 years prison sentence now. I wonder what will be dished out for bribing officials at € 44 m.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

WhiteBlue

http://www.ardmediathek.de/das-erste/re ... d=20800156

There is a huge story of Bernies German adventures on channel1 Germany tonight. This looks really serious. After costing the German tax payer hundreds of millions of € they seem very determined to go for his scalp.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

bhall

Is "beyond a reasonable doubt" a thing in Germany?
grandprix.com wrote:[...]

Interestingly, Gribkowsky did not deny Ecclestone's defence that he was being put under pressure over his personal British tax affairs.

Ecclestone says that is the only reason he paid the 56-year-old German.

"We didn't have anything concrete (about his tax affairs)," Gribkowsky told the court. "It was mainly nuisance value."

He revealed that he was also questioned just weeks ago about Ecclestone's tax affairs by the British authorities.

"I told them what I told this court," said Gribkowsky.

"I didn't have any inside knowledge but I used the issue at the time to put pressure on Ecclestone to make him settle litigation over formula one," he added.

SectorOne

Bernie Ecclestone is willing to pay EUR 25 million to settle the corruption case, media reports said on Tuesday.

The German news agency DPA said the F1 chief executive’s lawyers made the proposal to pay the money to BayernLB, despite arguing the bank suffered no financial loss.

The report added that the application was made in a statement to the Munich court on Tuesday, even though the lawyers argue that the prosecutors’ case against Ecclestone is “highly questionable”.

Referring to the DPA report, Auto Motor und Sport on Tuesday claimed the lawyers are making the proposal because of how “extremely stressful” the case is to the 83-year-old Briton.

The defense offer is reportedly valid until August 8, and the prosecution is said to be evaluating it. (GMM)
http://thisisf1.com/2014/07/29/f1-boss- ... orruption/
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Pierce89

I hope the old ccrook goes to jail. He has screwed so many people over the years.Karma can be a b!t¢h.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

turbof1

Paying money to drop a bribe case. It tastes like corruption spiced up with hypocrity and irony.

And the one saying bon appetit is Bernie.
#AeroFrodo

Ted68

$100 million and he keeps F1 leadership. What a deal!

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one ... acingdaily
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

MOWOG

Paying money to drop a bribe case. It tastes like corruption spiced up with hypocrisy and irony.
NIcely put. There are justice systems and there are legal systems. Seldom if ever does one have anything to do with the other. :?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

bhall II

WhiteBlue wrote:It looks bleak for the trial in Germany. Bernie has been kicked out of all his director positions in the formula one group according to documents from company house seen by Joe Saward, according to his blog. Bernie is indicted and has to stand trial before the same judge who called his behavior criminal in the trial against Griebkowski. Now a UK high court judge confirms the view of the legal system that Bernie is indeed guilty of bribing officials in order to steer the sale of the TV rights towards CVC who had a cozy deal with him to keep him in power. My prediction is that we will see Bernie fall from grace before the season is over and he will be done with F1.
About that...

:lol:

To be fair, though, maybe Ecclestone successfully bribed the German prosecutors, because their incredibly poor handling of this case was very reminiscent of the 1919 Black Sox.

seinfeld

How the hell can Bernie. settle a criminal case by essentially bribing the government? That's what he is doing. paying to make the case go away!

How does this guy get away with so much! he has ruined F1, and now gets away scott free!

Chuckjr

The judicial system has nothing to do with justice.
Watching F1 since 1986.

iotar__

Bribing with money earned thanks to bribery to get out of bribery case. If there's a need for compensation and there was money exchange and profit than it was a bribe, what else? Turns out it was one banker's fault and he's in jail hahaha. Amount is interesting in light of profits and price of F1 then and now.

Modern world: buy for nothing thanks to personal connection ($) and bribe, move to Middle-East, fleece everyone, sell with profit, buy yourself out of jail. This long trial was really worth it and justice has been served, speaking of similar European justice: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 38764.html "Land for gas secret German deal could end Ukraine crisis", one more GP to boycott or one less, decisions... ;-) ?

SectorOne

Basically what he paid out to skip jail amounted to something like 2,5% of his net worth.
Coffee change...
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

MOWOG

It is interesting that everyone seems to see this the same way - nothing more than a bribe.

I have just finished a little light summer reading - a book entitled "The Divide - American injustice in the age of the wealth gap." The book details in exquisite detail how the American justice system, so called, has switched at the highest levels, that being Attorney General Eric Holder himself, from a mechanism that seeks to punish criminal behavior with traditional criminal penalties like serving time in jail to simply collecting fines which are usually a mere shadow of the ill gotten gains from the criminal enterprise.

Referring to the great financail meltdown of 2008, during which trillions were siphoned off into the pockets of a small group of top executives, the Justice Department trumpeted that it had recovered record fines for such wrong doing. Those fines, large as they were, still represented less than 5% of the money stolen.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, the poor have been subjected to a stepped up campaign of police harassment leading to draconian judicial punishments out of all proportion to the purported crimes committed. It reminds me of the good old days when the dregs of English society were deported to Australia for the sin of stealing a crust of bread or eating a pear hanging from a tree in the royal forest.

In other words, society has once again found a way to make us all little more than feudal era vassals who are expected to bend the knee of obeissance to our masters. The only difference is that now those masters are not monarchs but rather faceless corporate entities that operate on a global basis unchecked by virtually any legal restraints whatsoever.

Welcome to the new MIddle Ages. Are we on our way to the new Dark Ages as well? :?
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.

Ultra

Was it a bribe or was it extortion?

Seems to me we have the same case all over again.

And so it goes.
“Honi soit qui mal y pense”