Did Bernie lie?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
GitanesBlondes

Re: Did Bernie lie?

smellybeard wrote:Did Bernie lie?
I don't know. I don't see how it makes any difference. He's back at work.

On a personal note - Thirty-odd years ago Bernie took me down the pit lane in Brands Hatch - practically by the hand and introduced me to half a dozen team managers, designers and the like. Frank Williams, Jean Sage, Brian Hart and Tony Southgate have stuck in my mind. If that isn't looking after a fan, I don't know what is. He was a personable and chatty to me as he would be the dignitaries walking about on any exotic grid these days.

It is beyond my ability to say anything bad about the man.
You can find plenty of people who have a favorable story, or stories to tell about any number of despots, dictators, and con-artists. It's not exactly an abnormal occurrence for something positive to be said about a figure, no matter how disgusting some of their transgressions have been over the long haul.

Bernie is nothing more than a used car salesman, and the salesman in him will forever be doing things like what you described at Brands Hatch because it's what he does. It's also the same way he has managed to consolidate power over the past few decades with no one being the wiser, and how he continues to extort money out of so many entities that should know better. It's why you see the media types fawning over him whenever they come face-to-face with the man. Forever being in sales pitch mode, he has them convinced he has something special to give them even when he doesn't.

His life has been one long con, and I suspect it's also what keeps him alive; there is a tremendous rush he gains from the excitement of it all.

You saw one side of him. There is then the other side as pictured here with his dear friend.

Never forget the two of them conspired to defraud the entire sport of the incredibly valuable commercial rights in the year 2000. Those commercial rights were purposely kept from ever being put out to tender on the open market because it would have ensured that Bernie could not have come up with the financial means to purchase the rights. He would have easily been outbid on the open market. He spent over twenty years working towards that moment where he reaped multiple windfalls due to locking up those rights into the 22nd century for a mere $3.6 million USD per year.

You can draw a straight line from the acquisition of those rights thru 2014, with regards to how F1 as a sporting endeavor declined slowly year-after-year, to the point there has been an obsession with the media, and fans about how can "the show" be made more exciting.

After all, the transfer of those rights that Max made possible, ensured the sport would be repeatedly raped every year to line the pockets of a few.

Just imagine how much richer Bernie would have gotten if that intended Singapore Stock Exchange IPO had gone through in 2012? I believe that F1 being issued on a stock exchange was always the end game for Bernie and Max as the riches to have been reaped from that would have been astronomical. Both of them would have been cashed out long before anyone got wind of whatever fraud was involved in all of that.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

smellybeard

GitanesBlondes wrote:Bernie is nothing more than a used car salesman
I think you'll find that he was actually a used motorbike salesman.

CBeck113

Pierce89 wrote:
CBeck113 wrote:
This is a great idea [says the American who's been living in Bavaria for the past 20 years]! I can highly recommend the Regensburg area - and if the US Amry pulls out of Hohenfels and gives the German gov't hundreds of millions of $s for the oil-contaminated ground, they could put the track there. I'll start writing up my CV... [-o<
No offense, but as another American with extensive time in Bavaria, the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area would be much better for a track as its easily the most beautiful part of Bavaria and its already a tourist area.
No offense taken! I love a good open discussion. That same region decided not to put in a bid for the winter olympics due to environmental concerns, even though winter sports is the largest revenue generator there (along with "normal" tourism of course), so I do not believe that they would say yes to a GP speedway.
As for Bernie, that should be a wake-up call for anyone disillusioned enough to believe that we live in a democracy. The state would never offer us peons a deal for a certain percentage of our income. All men are created equal, just some more equal than others...
“Strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony!” Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Agenda_Is_Incorrect

CBeck113 wrote:As for Bernie, that should be a wake-up call for anyone disillusioned enough to believe that we live in a democracy. The state would never offer us peons a deal for a certain percentage of our income. All men are created equal, just some more equal than others...
Wonder where is WB now :roll:

No offense to the great German people, some of them who represented the most serious and respectable (and even advanced) human beings that I ever met, but Germany also serves as the perfect example there are no real veritable governments anywhere at present world

Germany courts would never allow what happens as Europe Control by enterprises and government in Germany if they were really true to justice for starts. Bernie makes something of a small fish on that matter
I've been censored by a moderation team that rather see people dying and being shot at terrorist attacks than allowing people to speak the truth. That's racist apparently.

God made Trump win for a reason.

Ted68

"Judge Peter Noll said Ecclestone had given assurances that $100 million represented "an appreciable portion" of his wealth without overburdening him."

We wouldn't want a fine to be overburdening, now would we.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one ... acingdaily
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

GitanesBlondes

Ted68 wrote:"Judge Peter Noll said Ecclestone had given assurances that $100 million represented "an appreciable portion" of his wealth without overburdening him."

We wouldn't want a fine to be overburdening, now would we.

http://autoweek.com/article/formula-one ... acingdaily
:lol:

I wonder if the judge even bothered to check into what his actual net worth is.
"I don't want to make friends with anybody. I don't give a sh*t for fame. I just want to win." -Nelson Piquet

Andres125sx

If I drink and drive, I´ll receive a huge fine no matter if I can´t pay it....

According to forbes, Ecclestone´s net worth is $4.2 Billion

What do they call an appreciable portion of his wealth?

If paying around 3-4% my wealth, I can avoid a trial, that´s a bargain no matter how you see it =P~

GitanesBlondes

The supreme irony in this, is that given his financial assets, he can make that back in a year.

Given how CVC talked openly of sacking him, and nothing of that sort seems to be coming, what does it say about how much power he really has?

That to me is the concerning thing here, that any talk of meaningful punishment with him never happens. The last person in recent history that managed to hang onto power through everything in a way Bernie seems to, was J. Edgar Hoover. He had files on everyone. I wouldn't be surprised if Bernie does as well.

SectorOne

Andres125sx wrote:If I drink and drive, I´ll receive a huge fine no matter if I can´t pay it....

If paying around 3-4% my wealth, I can avoid a trial, that´s a bargain no matter how you see it =P~
Finland has a pretty solid alternative at least when it comes to speeding tickets.

The price of the fine is directly proportional to what you earn per year.
I think they have a few records in the ticket department :)
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Andres125sx

SectorOne wrote:
Andres125sx wrote:If I drink and drive, I´ll receive a huge fine no matter if I can´t pay it....

Finland has a pretty solid alternative at least when it comes to speeding tickets.

The price of the fine is directly proportional to what you earn per year.
I think they have a few records in the ticket department :)

Really? Wow, I´ve thought about that more than once, looks like I´m not the only one =D>

Maybe we still have a chance..... how do we vote Finland to lead EU? :mrgreen:

SectorOne

Andres125sx wrote:Really?
Really 8)
A motorist was handed an eye-watering £80,000 fine for speeding by police - because he is rich.
Swedish businessman Anders Wiklof was caught doing 77kph in a 50kph zone while driving in Finland.
And the Scandinavian country penalises speeding motorists by fining them based on their wealth, meaning multi-millionaire Wiklof was hit with a hefty free.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -rich.html
"If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward, then brother that person is a piece of sh*t"

Andres125sx

'I have only myself to blame, but one can question whether it is fair.
Should I drive too fast in Sweden, I would have received 4000 crowns (£385) in fines and there is a huge difference.
And then he´d have paid the fine like we all give a tip.

But this hurt him like usual fines hurt for common people... equality at last!

xpensive

And the Scandinavian country penalises speeding motorists by fining them based on their wealth, meaning multi-millionaire Wiklof was hit with a hefty free.

Sigh, Finland is not part of Scandinavia, It's like saying France is part of the Iberian peninsula.
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Andres125sx

xpensive wrote:And the Scandinavian country penalises speeding motorists by fining them based on their wealth, meaning multi-millionaire Wiklof was hit with a hefty free.

Sigh, Finland is not part of Scandinavia, It's like saying France is part of the Iberian peninsula.
I´m glad you mention this, because I was thinking it is :oops:

But it´s not that wrong, there´s a political concept....
Wikipedia wrote:Finland[edit]
The clearest example of the use of the term "Scandinavia" as a political and societal construct is the unique position of Finland, based largely on it having been part of Sweden for more than seven centuries, thus to much of the world associating Finland with all of Scandinavia. But the creation of a Finnish identity is unique in the region in that it was formed in relation to two different imperial models, the Swedish[10] and the Russian,[11][12] as described by the University of Jyväskylä based editorial board of the Finnish journal Yearbook of Political Thought and Conceptual History;[13]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia

Anycase thanks for the clarification, something new I´ve learnt :)

MOWOG

Mr. X is very dismissive of his "cousins" on his eastern border. I hear that any Swede caught speeding in Finland has his fine DOUBLED...... just because! :lol:
Some men go crazy; some men go slow. Some men go just where they want; some men never go.