F1 simulator with 5g load - a discussion

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Re: F1 simulator with 5g load - a discussion

[quote="Jersey Tom" While I certainly like to keep aware of the other approaches in industry, if I don't agree with them then that's that.[/quote]

While you might be aware of a systems present limitations, how do you know that these limitations are not being over come by ongoing development by other engineers/teams? Do you wait for then to prove the validity of the system and the copy?

Brian

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Everyone is trying to push into new territory in one way or another. If the competition wants to dick around putting a DIL simulator in a centrifuge that's fine by me. They can do that and I'll focus on more important things and help my team to win races and/or championships in the meantime.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

godlameroso

I agree with Tom until simulations are just that, they try to reproduce certain aspects of reality, and in no way shape or form can they ever serve as a replacement for the real thing. Maybe in the future when the teams get into developing emulators or racing goes strictly digital, maybe they could use computers as a replacement for he real thing.
Saishū kōnā

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Jersey Tom wrote: I'll focus on more important things and help my team to win races and/or championships in the meantime.
I am assuming equal budgets.....

Do you have the experience to know for sure you are focused on the most important things? How can you be sure this is not the 'new' most important thing? Are you not basing your judgement on existing tools you have experience with?

Brian

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

godlameroso wrote:I agree with Tom until simulations are just that, they try to reproduce certain aspects of reality, and in no way shape or form can they ever serve as a replacement for the real thing.
Why does the simulation have to 'serve as a replacement for the real thing' to be a useful tool? You are disregarding their value simply because they will never be the 'real thing'. This is an over simplification. There are ways to deal with a less than perfect simulation that you/we are not aware of.

Brian

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

hardingfv32 wrote:Do you have the experience to know for sure you are focused on the most important things? How can you be sure this is not the 'new' most important thing? Are you not basing your judgement on existing tools you have experience with?
Know for sure? There is NO "for sure" in this business, or in probably any business. Do I base my judgement on my experience? Of course. Who doesn't?! I do not grasp the point in these fundamentally obvious questions.

If you spend your career making choices by chasing what your competitors are doing you're going to be 2nd rate at best. Furthermore, "...because so-and-so are doing it" is NOT justification for technical decisions. Good rationale is what it is and stands alone. So in that respect I don't care if Ross Brawn says "X" or Adrian Newey says "Y" or what it says in Carroll Smith books of what's important and what isn't.

I make and own my decisions.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

hardingfv32
hardingfv32

Jersey Tom wrote: I do not grasp the point in these fundamentally obvious questions.
I was just evaluating whether your statement, 'Does that make me stubborn? Cocky? Sure', was an exaggeration. Not

Brian

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Point is, I'm not overly concerned with what other people are doing. I'll keep aware of it, but ultimately I make my own judgement calls regardless of whether or not something is the flavor of the day.

f1motta
f1motta

Interesting article about Ferrari F1 simulator with great video taken in Maranallo http://www.f1talks.pl/2011/12/27/w-serc ... or-ferrari