Toyota TF110 3d model

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
N12ck

Re: Toyota TF110 3d model

I can tell you for starters the sidepod inlets are the wrong shape, (too circular on top)
so I don't think your within 1cm for the whole model, not to belittle your achievements, fantastic modelling and great representation of the car, however I don't think it will serve any use for gaining technical data on the car :) But great work on modelling :D
Budding F1 Engineer

Bazza

Tozza Mazza wrote:Did you use the technical regulations to aid with the design work?

I doubt any CFD would give anywhere near 'true to life' results. The OP doesnt know wing profiles, and judging by the (poor quality) reference images, I doubt measurements are within a centremetre, probably closer to 5 as Wes said.

Credit where credit is due, the OP has done a fantastic job, it looks great. What are your plans for the model.
Yes, I used the regulations to set up the references; with wheel dimensions, maximum height, and boxes for the wings, etc. Knowing what bits can go where helped with aligning the images. A known wheelbase also helped.

Reference images weren't that hard to find for most parts. Toyota leaving meant that there were a bunch of pictures in mags and the internet news, and good quality ones too.

That said, I'm still looking for pictures, and the model is by no means done. It's been wonkified, smoothed, and rounded for easier unwrapping now, and I'll clean it up, referencing some new pictures I've found of the rear wing underside and diffuser and other things.

The eventual plan is to use it like Pirelli uses theirs, to try things out.

Steven
Owner

Any parts in particular you need pictures of?
I took a bunch when I was at the factory earlier this year.

A13EX_f

what program did you use to draw this up would be nice to see some of your techniques i'm pretty sure I could do this in solidworks but it would take me many hours.

Bazza

Tomba wrote:Any parts in particular you need pictures of?
The specific part I'm looking for is all of them. :lol: Please, post as much as you can. At least there's no huge issue of car versioning to worry too much about!

Also, how on earth does one go about getting photos of unraced Formula 1 cars?

For software, I'm using Autodesk Maya. Yeah, usually used for games and movies and what not, but since I'm not machining parts (solidworks, pro-e, other Autodesk products are a billion times better) I can get away with poly modeling for now. The main avantages are speed, previously I used Solidworks and autoCAD mostly, but this is (not kidding) a hundred billion times faster, at least. Also it's actually useful for making pretty pictures (yes, some irony there I'm aware of).

In the end I can convert (fairly well, somehow - magic?) to nurbs and export as something one of the engineering programs can read. If there too many bugs I just crank up the subdivisions and load up a 2 million poly mesh.

shelly

@bazza: have you ever tried blender?
twitter: @armchair_aero

beelsebob

Bazza wrote:
The specific part I'm looking for is all of them. :lol: Please, post as much as you can. At least there's no huge issue of car versioning to worry too much about!

For software, I'm using Autodesk Maya. Yeah, usually used for games and movies and what not, but since I'm not machining parts (solidworks, pro-e, other Autodesk products are a billion times better) I can get away with poly modeling for now. The main avantages are speed, previously I used Solidworks and autoCAD mostly, but this is (not kidding) a hundred billion times faster, at least. Also it's actually useful for making pretty pictures (yes, some irony there I'm aware of).

In the end I can convert (fairly well, somehow - magic?) to nurbs and export as something one of the engineering programs can read. If there too many bugs I just crank up the subdivisions and load up a 2 million poly mesh.
To be honest, the last approach there is pretty much pointless – all it'll do is shift your body work around a little, and not really get you any more visual quality than you already have.

What you might want to do is an export of your current model, and then edit in z-brush (or something similar) to get really fine detail into the model. Anywhere where you're talking about fine grooves, or bumps, z-brush will help you enormously.

PlatinumZealot

Bazza wrote:

Ah, Maya, I thought so from the looks of the model.

Looks great. You shouldn't have to worry about dead on accuracy then, I know the difficultly of modeling to dimensions in Maya (using the grid and also the attribute panel/channel box and that other one?). For a program like Maya, when I used to use it regularly, I had more fun setting up the textures and then animating and light then rendering my models.

It is going to be annoying to get the model over as one solid piece, but you will figure it out... If i remember, I use Mastercam X to handle converting models between programs... It's not the primary use for it but it does it really efficiently.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Bazza

Accuracy isn't as much of a problem in Maya as people might think. In the setting for most of the tools you can set world-space dimensions (5mm bevel, 10mm chamfer, etc), and building boxes usually helps as well. Solidworks has the good mathematically defined dimensions and expressions, and while I do miss that (one of the few things I do miss from Solidworks), good planning and methodical working means it's easy enough to work around. If it takes a few minutes to check every now and then, well, it's a small price to pay for me.

Why do you need it as one solid piece? Do you mean wheels and tyres as well, all seamlessly joined? I can understand that if you're doing FEA, but for aero I think just combining the meshes should work?

shelly

for cfd you need one or more watertight surfaces, without holes/gaps
twitter: @armchair_aero

Bazza

Ah OK. Watertight is easy enough to manage. I've actually made a game in Blender, 2 years ago. Not a huge fan, I've gotta say.

Just picked up the Racecar Engineering with the TF110. Updating a bunch of pieces on the front wing, then onto that freaking double diffuser. I feel for the poor guy who had to make it.

Bazza

THREAD REVIVAL

fixed topology everywhere
fixed sidepod shape (smoothing was causing it to be too round in areas)
rear wing endplates finished
fixed floor step
fixed front wing endplate
changed rims (not finished)
fixed mirrors
fixed suspension mounting points
fixed brake ducting (there are 9999 parts in those infernal things)
And a million other small changes and fixes.

Also I (as you can see) mocked up a livery for it. To do so, I added sponsors, as in, more than one. Which is strange, because that's basically all they had in 2009. So I grabbed some from the Denso GT500 car.

megz

WOW. That is a seriously cool model there. *tips hat*

Websta

Very nice model. Was the TF110 rumored to have one of the most complex diffusers ever designed?

Bazza

Websta wrote:Very nice model. Was the TF110 rumored to have one of the most complex diffusers ever designed?
Unfortunately yes (those poor, poor people who had to make the real thing, it's hard enough to model in 3d).

There's a pair of intakes, one either side of the plank, and 2 more towards the outside of the floor that feed into what's basically a small-house-sized opening above and forward of the diffuser, and the area around the rear crash structure is fairly open (the suspension components are all angled forward a fair bit). I wouldn't be surprised to see airflow coming from either side of the plank, up through the holes and being caught by the beam wing.

In all fairness, it would almost have been a shame to see it race, because what would have been a very advanced car would have been driven by Villenauve and Nakajima. No offence to those drivers, but they probably wouldn't be able to get the most of out such a car on a consistent basis. At least when Honda left behind a golden egg, they also left Brawn running Barrichelo and Button.