2012 Testing - Jerez 7-10 February

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Mr.S

Re: Jerez pre season testing 7-10 February

MSC's 1-18-5 was on HARD tyres compared to Roberg's 1-17-6 on SOFT tyres????

There is a 0.4-0.5s difference accross the tyres. So between the HARD & SOFT there is a 0.8-1 Second difference. So MSC with SOFT tyres could possibly have done 1-17-5 to 1-17-7 which is on par with NICO.

I laughed at people's ridiculous opinions saying he is 1 second slower especially at Giblet's. Ofcourse he has been slower in qualifying but in race trims his pace has been mostly better or on par with Nico.

myurr

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
vall wrote:
Maynard G. Krebs wrote:I think this passes for Alonso not being happy:
"We will arrive to Barcelona much more prepared than how we arrived in Jerez. That is what Pat also tried to say yesterday: we arrived in Jerez thinking about one idea of the car, and maybe it was not exactly like that."
this is take out of the context. Read the whole intervew. He says the car is all new and they need to learn so many things. He sais they slowly begin to understand it and over the 4 days of the test they were making steady progress. So, wait and see ..... Last they looked vry good in testing and then......
They say the car is all new, but what is more new about it than what the other teams are doing? Everybody has to deal with new exhaust and new noses. Every team has revised and updated the other components. Caterham has KERS for the first time and a new transmission too, but they seem to be running pretty consistently. Several teams are apparently using the pull-rod suspension now.

Don't get me wrong, I am a Ferrari fan, I just think they are a little "off" right now. But if anybody can get it straightened out they should be able too. It is a bit disconcerting though, that after the winter soul-searching and revising their approach to avoid the disappointment of last year, they show up with a car that is "not exactly" what they expected.
I forget where I read it now but there was an article (possibly autosport or James Allen) that said Ferrari were having real setup issues with the car. If they sorted the car for corner entry, for example, then it would misbehave on corner exit and vice versa. They don't currently know why this is happening or how to correct it.

I'm sure that they'll get on top of it, and it sounds like it's more a mechanical setup issue (they have new suspension front and rear don't forget) than aero. But for now at least they are struggling to set up and balance their car and that is costing them valuable testing time.

lebesset

woken this morning to the sound of a F1 car lapping
someone stayed on to do some 'filming ' ...100Km max I think

can't be lotus or sauber as they did their 'filming' on monday
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

spacer

lebesset wrote:woken this morning to the sound of a F1 car lapping
someone stayed on to do some 'filming ' ...100Km max I think

can't be lotus or sauber as they did their 'filming' on monday
It's Caterham (MikeGascoyne @ twitter).

motobaleno

Maynard G. Krebs wrote:
vall wrote:
Maynard G. Krebs wrote: Several teams are apparently using the pull-rod suspension now.

no other team is using front pull-rod.
this is not a thing that you can hide...

Alexgtt

Mr.S wrote:MSC's 1-18-5 was on HARD tyres compared to Roberg's 1-17-6 on SOFT tyres????

There is a 0.4-0.5s difference accross the tyres. So between the HARD & SOFT there is a 0.8-1 Second difference. So MSC with SOFT tyres could possibly have done 1-17-5 to 1-17-7 which is on par with NICO.

I laughed at people's ridiculous opinions saying he is 1 second slower especially at Giblet's. Ofcourse he has been slower in qualifying but in race trims his pace has been mostly better or on par with Nico.
I'm laughing at how serious some people are taking completely irrelevant test times. This isn't a thread about Ros/MSC and who's faster.

A few observations:

RB and McLaren playing cat and mouse, not showing hands at all but both look fast. Plodding around gathering data kinda knowing they're quick but not having to prove anything.
Ferrari will be there or there-abouts but seems no doubt they are disappionted.
Merc? Not a clue until new car hits track.
Lotus, surprise of test number 1? Not sure. Many teams have done this posturing in testing before. But some major teams seemed to have flagged them on their radar so may be something in it.
Mid-field looks same as usual but looks like (OK I hope) Williams has graduated into them. They had a great reliable race sim and that is promising, even if we don't know if it was quick. All I gleamed from it is, by the fabulously consistant times, they could easily have gone faster. So speed wasn't so important as data gathering and learning the tyres.
Caterham, look closer to mid-field, maybe right on the tail but again I hope can mix it.

Can't wait until 21st Feb now.

FrukostScones

Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

zoro_f1

Image “The force can have a strong influence on the weak-minded”: [Obi Wan Kenobi]

Shrieker

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:Over 13 minutes of Jerez footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sii0YwIVJqc
Judging by that, the RB8 and the E20 definitely retain some amount of off throttle (overrun ?) blowing, not as prominent as the W02, but still quite clear through the chicane. The F2012 -not so much- (if any), and the MP4-27 seems to retain NONE at all...

Nice vid and thanks for posting btw.
Education is that which allows a nation free, independent, reputable life, and function as a high society; or it condemns it to captivity and poverty.
-Atatürk

raymondu999

Fixed it for you
n_anirudh wrote:[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qr2z2RB9p9M[/youtube]
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

FrukostScones

raymondu999 wrote:Fixed it for you

Like it is not already posted with two more vids 3 posts back, :lol:
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

lebesset

lebesset wrote:spent a happy hour sitting in the sun at the chicane in shirt sleeves this afternoon , easily the best conditions for the week so presumably the best times available

surprise of the week to me has been Lotus with kimi looking as though he has never been away [ despite the conditions in which he drove ]and grosjean looking very comfortable in the better conditions

am sure we all remember how well they started last year with their version of the EBD , even though they went backwards thereafter ; tried to think what they might have done to look so promising again and have a possible solution...the exhaust could again be a contributory factor !

whereas the other renault powered cars have a very similar engine note accelerating away from the chicane , the lotus has a subtly different consistent growl....maybe they have come up with something ; word here is that there is a member of the red bull team loitering opposite the lotus pit !!! still , early days yet in exhaust development

btw , ugly noses ? what ugly noses ? after 4 days they look quite normal to me !!!
the 'blown ' engine note on the lotus was clear and consistent...on the other renault engined cars it was intermittant and much shorter when it happened
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

bonjon1979

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

Both Red Bull and Mclaren looking lovely and planted in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEP4YUkd73U

Great shot of the Mclaren at 10.40, wing is very low to the ground.
Last edited by Richard on 20 Feb 2012, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: This post and replies moved from MP4-27 thread

beelsebob

Re: Vodafone McLaren MP4-27 Mercedes

bonjon1979 wrote:Both Red Bull and Mclaren looking lovely and planted in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEP4YUkd73U

Great shot of the Mclaren at 10.40, wing is very low to the ground.
Indeed, the RBR and McLaren seem to be doing very nicely there. It really rather gives some cause for concern about the Torro Rosso though – they seem to be really struggling for rear grip.