Why curve driving line when straight line is shortest

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
N12ck

Re: Why curve driving line when straight line is shortest

There is a reason why you do that in karting that any person who races in karting knows but not sure about other series 8)
Budding F1 Engineer

raymondu999

looking back; Fisichella used to just turn in from where he was on the track width; and never really "turned out" before that. Result being he would leave a margin on his outside of the circuit.

N12ck and in karting that reason is?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

beelsebob

One possible reason is that it makes your car slightly wider. If you leave 3/4 of a car width on the outside, then your car is effectively 1 3/4 cars wide. Do this repeately, and the FIA won't consider it to be defending, but instead taking your normal racing line.

Caito

Maybe it's already said.

You have to make full use of the track in order to go faster. That's like rule #0 in racing.

But braking from the outside, hence dirty, is no good. So I think that's why you see that kind of not straight behaviour.

Jenson Button is one of those guys who goes to the extreme border of the track, using 110% of it.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWUskU4w_0s[/youtube]

you can see it all over the video at early time and in the straight, everywhere.

Is that what you mean?

Bye!
Come back 747, we miss you!!

raymondu999

Caito - we're talking about what happens along the straight; not what happens in the braking zone. Why move towards the middle?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Caito

It's dirty, if the tire takes 1 turn to clean up, what's that.. a meter lost?

Ted68

Quite simply, driving those little cars that fast, do you think they do it sober?

I know, back to my room.
Heaven: Where the cooks are French, the police are British, the lovers are Greek, the mechanics are German, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell: Where the cooks are British, the police are German, the lovers are Swiss, the mechanics are French, and it is all organized by the Greeks.

raymondu999

Caito wrote:It's dirty, if the tire takes 1 turn to clean up, what's that.. a meter lost?
You're missing the point here. In just about every straight in Formula One; after they exit the corner at the edge of the track; they will move towards the middle. And then they will move back towards the edge for a wider entry.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

jdlive

Ted68 wrote:Quite simply, driving those little cars that fast, do you think they do it sober?

I know, back to my room.
:lol:
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Caito

My point is that probably the side of the track is dirty. With tire leftovers and dirt, that's why they move to the middle.

gold333

It's a driving trait like mentioned on the previous page.
F1 car width now 2.0m (same as 1993-1997). Lets go crazy and bring the 2.2m cars back (<1992).