Technology originated from F-1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Paul

Re: Technology originated from F-1

Indeed! I am currently researching this subject and developing my own software that could automate strategy calls in F1 and could also be adjusted to business applications. Needless to say, I'd love to hear more!

horse

Pingguest wrote:That software also analyses the decisions taken by opponents.
Do you think it can do that because they are all using the same piece of software or does one team's software have to guess what the other teams software is doing? Therefore must the first program do something really stupid in order to stop the other one guessing what it is doing correctly?

This must be why RBS bought ABN Amro.

EDIT: It's called Game Theory, by the way.
Last edited by horse on 08 Feb 2012, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
"Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words." - Chuang Tzu

WhiteBlue

Lurk wrote:AFAIK, first commercial plane to use CFRP was 767 and its first flight was in 1981. They only used it for simple parts such as elevator.

The very same year, Barnard build a CFRP monocoque...
Airbus used carbon fibre composites prior to that on the A300 in 1969 on an elevator and a side rudder.

source:
http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... ew/900/38/

I'm sure that the 2014 turbo compounding technology will be a first for Automotive use.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

WhiteBlue wrote:
Lurk wrote:AFAIK, first commercial plane to use CFRP was 767 and its first flight was in 1981. They only used it for simple parts such as elevator.

The very same year, Barnard build a CFRP monocoque...
Airbus used carbon fibre composites prior to that on the A300 in 1969 on an elevator and a side rudder.

source:
http://translate.google.de/translate?hl ... ew/900/38/

I'm sure that the 2014 turbo compounding technology will be a first for Automotive use.
http://www.scania.com/products-services ... index.aspx or is this not the same type of thing?
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

Lurk

@WB: after reading your post I did more researches, I also found that Rolls Royce built a stage of RB211 engine (B747 engine among others) with carbon fiber in 1969. But it seems it never pass the bird ingestion test.

noname
noname

Just_a_fan wrote:http://www.scania.com/products-services ... index.aspx or is this not the same type of thing?
The one used by Scania is more complicated (and I would even say more advanced) than what F1 will bring in 2014.

BTW, it was developed for Scania, not by Scania ;-)

noname
noname

Lurk wrote:@WB: after reading your post I did more researches, I also found that Rolls Royce built a stage of RB211 engine (B747 engine among others) with carbon fiber in 1969. But it seems it never pass the bird ingestion test.
GE made composite jet engine in 70's. I know it was tested but further developments were ditched on favor of cheaper solutions.

Gridlock

This is a very interesting thread, because popular lore (including parroted by the BBC presenters, I seem to recall) is very much that "technology you see here will be on your car in 10 years"

Now whenever someone said this I always disagreed, pointing out that actually the S-Class merc has introduced more things than F1 - on this thread has yet to prove this wrong.

It's interesting that such a fundamental aspect of F1 (it's where you go to evolve, not to invent) is so widely misunderstood and yet is seen as such a positive thing for the sport.

Giblet
Giblet

noname wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:http://www.scania.com/products-services ... index.aspx or is this not the same type of thing?
The one used by Scania is more complicated (and I would even say more advanced) than what F1 will bring in 2014.

BTW, it was developed for Scania, not by Scania ;-)
Turbo compounding was used by Allison aircraft engines in the 40s. There was a great piece on it a couple years ago in Racetech or Racecar Engineering magazine and how it might relate to F1 down the road.

There is a decent thread here to somwhere.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Gridlock wrote:It's interesting that such a fundamental aspect of F1 (it's where you go to evolve, not to invent) is so widely misunderstood and yet is seen as such a positive thing for the sport.
Absolutely. The amount of BS that's spun by announcers, "analysts," even higher ups in various organizations... is staggering. Unfortunately most people eat it up at face value.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Ganxxta
Ganxxta

Ok not F1 in general, but how about Push-Rods and the new Lamborghini Aventador?
Press is saying that this "technology" is directly from Motorsport, was it used before on street cars (I figured Enzo and Carrera GT had it too)?

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

Ganxxta wrote:Ok not F1 in general, but how about Push-Rods and the new Lamborghini Aventador?
Press is saying that this "technology" is directly from Motorsport, was it used before on street cars (I figured Enzo and Carrera GT had it too)?
Press is full of BS, is what it is.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

Hail22

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/02/07/2013 ... ta-hybrid/

Volkswagen sponsors STR...possible adaptation of KERS for the new Hybrid?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

noname
noname

Gridlock wrote:This is a very interesting thread, because popular lore (including parroted by the BBC presenters, I seem to recall) is very much that "technology you see here will be on your car in 10 years".
In some regards that's true, but people understand this as "it was invented by F1/Motorsport", when (sometime) Motorsport is used as a "test bench" for some of the technologies being developed for mass production.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

So in conclusion: nothing originated here. :wtf:
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.