Technology originated from F-1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
xpensive
xpensive

Re: Technology originated from F-1

mx_tifoso wrote:So in conclusion: nothing originated here. :wtf:
Come now, the perverted attention to aerodynamics is unique and vastly superior to anything within aerospace industry?
"I spent most of my money on wine and women...I wasted the rest"

Hail22

The link i posted before with regards to VW having a small KERS unit for the 2013 Jetta is most likely from STR due to VW sponsoring them.

This is even more interesting seeing as Audi (which is owned by VW)wants to enter Formula 1 in 2014...

Anyways for another topic/thread however KERS in road cars is real.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

noname
noname

xpensive wrote:Come now, the perverted attention to aerodynamics is unique and vastly superior to anything within aerospace industry?
I would say shape and manufacturing tolerances Airbus requires for A350XWB wings are insane, and the efforts they are making to fulfill them are enormous.

Car aerodynamics (due Length/Width ratio and operating close to the ground, to name just this two factors) is quite challenging, but I would not say F1's focus on this is so unique.

WhiteBlue

Giblet wrote:
noname wrote:
Just_a_fan wrote:http://www.scania.com/products-services ... index.aspx or is this not the same type of thing?
The one used by Scania is more complicated (and I would even say more advanced) than what F1 will bring in 2014.

BTW, it was developed for Scania, not by Scania ;-)
Turbo compounding was used by Allison aircraft engines in the 40s. There was a great piece on it a couple years ago in Racetech or Racecar Engineering magazine and how it might relate to F1 down the road.

There is a decent thread here to somwhere.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_R-3 ... ex-Cyclone

Turbo compounding on the Wright R3350 was an entirely different design compared to the 2014 F1 concept. The same is true for the Scania design. The F1 design is comparably simple and will not add much weight to a vehicle that is already equipped with electric wheel motors. I believe it will be massively copied by future sport and road car projects.

It is fairly simple in its inaugural form and I have no doubt that it will evolve from that starting point. For instance I would expect multi stage and multi scroll turbines with variable geometry pretty soon.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

I still think something like inerter is pretty interesting, and it did find its first real world development and application in F1....

Giblet
Giblet

Carbon Fiber.

Mclaren, when they built the road going F1, took somewhere in the range of 4000 hours just to lay, shape, and bake the carbon for the car.

With the Mclaren mp4-12c, they have it down to something like 40 per car. Since they weren't exactly building road cars from then until now, it appears they have learned something from motorsport and applied it directly to their road cars.

I am not sure of the numbers, I need to find the source again. but I am pretty sure I am in the ballpark.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

timbo
timbo

I read that 4-12c doesn't use same CFRP as F1, i.e. sheets of CF, it is much simpler process where they use mashed fibers.
But maybe I misread or something...

bdr529

The semi-automatic transmission has been on street cars since the late 60's, VW Beatle had the Autostick
and Porche had the Sportmatic (both clutchless manual) and I think Renault had one out even earlier,
The CVT transmissions have been in use on motorscooters, snowmobiles, lawntractors since thier inception
Sequential gearboxes have been used in motorcycles since the 1900's
Synchronized transmission came out on a Cadillac in 1928

Jersey Tom
Jersey Tom

RacingManiac wrote:I still think something like inerter is pretty interesting, and it did find its first real world development and application in F1....
Sure. But even if that's the case... certainly the exception rather than the rule.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

RacingManiac wrote:I still think something like inerter is pretty interesting, and it did find its first real world development and application in F1....
inerter?

Whats that?

[I assume its not an inert gas generator?]

Caito
Caito

kilcoo316 wrote:
inerter?

Whats that?

[I assume its not an inert gas generator?]

Do a search for Jdamper, inerter.

It's a device which produces a force which is proportional to the acceleration between two of its attachments. (A damper produces a force proportional to the velocity).

It's similar to a mass, in the sense that a mass has F=m*a. But you can think of it as a mass you can put between two locations. They sometimes call it "virtual mass".
Come back 747, we miss you!!

kilcoo316
kilcoo316

Cheers!

rjsa
rjsa

mx_tifoso wrote:So in conclusion: nothing originated here. :wtf:
Pretty much it.

So let's cut the crap and stop to try saving the world with F1, won't work.

SBR9
SBR9

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... t-airports

mclaren software being used for air-traffic control. How hard could it be to write this code just thousands of "if", "else " statements. :D :lol:

I think F1 has refined alot of things (oils/ fuels ,tires, ect.
Ferrari still call its f1 team its living R & D department.

czt
czt

timbo wrote:I read that 4-12c doesn't use same CFRP as F1, i.e. sheets of CF, it is much simpler process where they use mashed fibers.
But maybe I misread or something...
No, you are quite right. The techniques used by the mp4-12c are nothing like the ones used to build f1 cars.