Technology originated from F-1

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Jersey Tom

Re: Technology originated from F-1

SBR9 wrote:I think F1 has refined alot of things (oils/ fuels ,tires, ect.
Ferrari still call its f1 team its living R & D department.
Refined them... specifically for racing use. The requirements are so dramatically different between the race and OE world, I question how externally useful the "R&D" is.
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

RacingManiac

Jersey Tom wrote:
RacingManiac wrote:I still think something like inerter is pretty interesting, and it did find its first real world development and application in F1....
Sure. But even if that's the case... certainly the exception rather than the rule.
Definitely agree on that....I don't think the mentality of racing is necessarily the same as to "invent" or "originate" something. The purpose in racing is simple, to be faster than the next guy. So they just look for ways to do that, and more often than not it leads them to apply something that was used elsewhere to solve similar problems they have. And with relatively restrictive rules it probably serve more to stifle development of something new and more prone to drive them into developing application specific solution...

Even looking at something specific like "F1" transmission, which probably as pointed out not something invented for F1(but certainly made popular from it), yes it shifts insanely fast and great for track use, but in real world it serves so little purpose and are horribly unsuited for day to day use. And with the advent of true dual clutch gearboxes(not allowed in F1), its basically made redundant....

Richard

Pingguest wrote:Since the late-1990s Formula 1 teams have been using very advanced software to determine the best possible pit stop strategy. That software also analyses the decisions taken by opponents. Currently that very same software is used by firms to determine their business strategy.
Could you name "that very same software"?

bhall

mx_tifoso wrote:So in conclusion: nothing originated here. :wtf:
That makes it art, because art exists only to serve itself. I quite like that, actually.

Paul

F1 is probably more of a ground to make road car technology "cool" and "sporty." That is why we see or will see KERS, floor-produced downforce, small-displacement engines marketed "as in F1."

Hail22

Was traction control derived from Formula 1 or the Audi Quattro rally car?
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

Jersey Tom

Hail22 wrote:Was traction control derived from Formula 1 or the Audi Quattro rally car?
...probably neither
Grip is a four letter word. All opinions are my own and not those of current or previous employers.

bdr529

Buick came out with traction control in 1971 in the Buick Riviera with MaxTrac.
it was designed by GM's AC Spark Plug division

thisisatest

Jersey Tom wrote:
Refined them... specifically for racing use. The requirements are so dramatically different between the race and OE world, I question how externally useful the "R&D" is.
one benefit of all this refinement in F1 is that the engineers develop new techniques for manipulating these fuels, tires, etc, and can later manipulate (to a different end result) consumer versions of these items for our consumption.

Pierce89

I think its fair to say F1's advances in electronic micro manipulation of every aspect of performance has greatly benefitted road cars.
“To be able to actually make something is awfully nice”
Bruce McLaren on building his first McLaren racecars, 1970

“I've got to be careful what I say, but possibly to probably Juan would have had a bigger go”
Sir Frank Williams after the 2003 Canadian GP, where Ralf hesitated to pass brother M. Schumacher

engineer_roy

F1 changed the combustion chamber of choice from Bath-Tub Overhead, through Hemispherical 2 Valve and onto the current choice of the mass market - Narrow Angle 4 Valve Technology. This superior technology was concieved 50 years ago and reigns supreme today.
Sir Henry Royce, in typically modest fashion, stated his profession as simply ... "Quidvis recte factum quamvis humile praeclarum"

Jersey Tom

thisisatest wrote:
Jersey Tom wrote:
one benefit of all this refinement in F1 is that the engineers develop new techniques for manipulating these fuels, tires, etc, and can later manipulate (to a different end result) consumer versions of these items for our consumption.
I'd say it's more the other way around.

WhiteBlue

engineer_roy wrote:F1 changed the combustion chamber of choice from Bath-Tub Overhead, through Hemispherical 2 Valve and onto the current choice of the mass market - Narrow Angle 4 Valve Technology. This superior technology was concieved 50 years ago and reigns supreme today.
The first motorcar in the world to have an engine with two overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder was the 1912 Peugeot L76 Grand Prix race car. GP cars were the equivalent of pre war F1. So 4V DOHC is genuine GP technology.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

jenkF1

Bazza wrote:
Pandamasque wrote:
timbo wrote:......possibly ground effect (although it seems that it was rather widely disseminated and one can trace it back to hydroplanes etc).
Jim Hall's Chaparral cars had active front and rear aero, suspension-mounted rear wings and ground effect (with fans!) in late 60-s and early 70-s :wink:

And don't even think of adding stepped noses into the list. (google Fiat Multipla) :P
Automobile wings were first raced on a Porsche in the '50s

Porsche, ever the opposite of whatever a fan of evolution is called, threatened to ragequit if the officials didn't ban said winged pig. So technically sports cars have the 'first cars to use aero properly' award.
Sorry to repost, I had to look at this online as I thought Dan Gurney invented the Gurney flap. From what I read on wiki, this looks like the first spoiler but the concept of downforce and cornering speed was not necessarily the aim, simply stability and cancellation of any lift. Well, okay that is downforce but a very basic understanding compared to how it was first used on F1 cars. Dan Gurney took the idea and then split it into front and rear and it stopped the cars simply understeering with huge drag.
Last edited by jenkF1 on 17 Feb 2012, 01:40, edited 1 time in total.

Jersey Tom

jenkF1 wrote:
Bazza wrote:
Pandamasque wrote: Jim Hall's Chaparral cars had active front and rear aero, suspension-mounted rear wings and ground effect (with fans!) in late 60-s and early 70-s :wink:

And don't even think of adding stepped noses into the list. (google Fiat Multipla) :P
Automobile wings were first raced on a Porsche in the '50s

Porsche, ever the opposite of whatever a fan of evolution is called, threatened to ragequit if the officials didn't ban said winged pig. So technically sports cars have the 'first cars to use aero properly' award.
Sorry to repost, I had to look at this online as I thought Dan Gurney invented the Gurney flap. From what I read on wiki, this looks like the first spoiler but the concept of downforce and cornering speed was not necessarily the aim, simply stability and cancellation of any lift. Which you could argue is the same but really its pretty basic compared to what first sprout on F1 cars
I had a look
Gurneys and end plates are two totally different things