2012 Testing - Barcelona 2: 21-24 Feb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Hail22

Re: Barcelona Pre-Season Test 2: 21-24 Feb

4 Hours and 13 minutes remaining til Test day 1 begins.

Hedge your bets, will we still see launch cars?

Will we see 2012 Grid cars?

I'm betting on 2012 launch cars with test components made over the small break to test as well as long runs for tyre simulation, engine mapping, cold grid starts.

And most noteably different exhaust designs...
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

CHT
CHT

I noticed all the top 3 teams are reversing the Jerez test schedule at Barcelona. I am just curious is there is a sort of tactical plan that goes behind it.

The Barcelona testing line-up looks like this:
Red Bull-Renault
Tuesday: Sebastian VETTEL
Wednesday: Sebastian VETTEL
Thursday: Mark WEBBER
Friday: Mark WEBBER

McLaren-Mercedes
Tuesday: Lewis HAMILTON
Wednesday: Lewis HAMILTON
Thursday: Jenson BUTTON
Friday: Jenson BUTTON

Ferrari
Tuesday: Fernando ALONSO
Wednesday: Fernando ALONSO
Thursday: Felipe MASSA
Friday: Felipe MASSA

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/2747 ... e-line-up/

raymondu999

I'd suspect some early upgrade packages would probably make their way to the cars - but not as much as they would bring to Barca 2 - which would in turn still probably be less than they'd bring to Melbourne.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:I'd suspect some early upgrade packages would probably make their way to the cars - but not as much as they would bring to Barca 2 - which would in turn still probably be less than they'd bring to Melbourne.
Due to new rules for Chassis homologation, do you think that possibly the top 4 teams will bring a new chassis, idk whether any teams has tested a new chassis just curious due to the fact you can build as many as you want as long as it passes the crash test.

I agree Barca 2 will have a lot more components, devices, aero parts etc then the first two test groups.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

There was a discussion on this in either the Ferrari or Merc car thread... I think the whole point that they were homologated is that no changes can be made. And they have to stay that way. That's why people weren't allowed to copy the Ferrari F10's circular vanes for brake cooling in 2010 (homologated wheels) and why a lot of teams logistically had trouble placing the F-duct activation hole; and intake (homologated tubs)
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

But didn't the FIA allow new tubs etc now to be used so long as it passes the test? its only a mutual agreement between the teams in FOTA now right?

Which Ferrari, Sauber, Red Bull are not a part of with HRT from last year..

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

HRT never joined FOTA no? I think the tub rule last sthe whole year - and so those advantages I mentioned were locked in for 2010. Maybe someone else with a better grasp of the rules can help to clarify?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Hail22

raymondu999 wrote:HRT never joined FOTA no? I think the tub rule last sthe whole year - and so those advantages I mentioned were locked in for 2010. Maybe someone else with a better grasp of the rules can help to clarify?
Sorry should of phrased it correctly, what i was meaning with the "And HRT from Last year" should of said "Who now join HRT as a team who is not a part of FOTA...never were"

Gilles Villeneuve

raymondu999

Maybe OTA will be the new strong association? :P
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Donuts

Good morning!

Yet again I will post a question about live timing for the Barcelona F1 test. I really liked the page Circuit de Jerez had(http://f1tests.co.cc/2012.php?rev=on) is there a similar to Circuit de Catalunya? The other pages(greek & netherland) have very poor information. I've checked the homepage for Circuit de Catalunya, there seem to be no live timing, but it's early morning so I might have missed it...
The speed of Ayrton Senna.
The mind of Alain Prost.
The dedication of Michael Schumacher.
The determination of Alex Zanardi.

raymondu999

The Williams page?
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

ParanoiD

any live timing url?
Ay Carumba!

Hail22

http://live.autosport.com/

commentary, twitter feed from all teams during testing and not bad timing!

Gilles Villeneuve

stefan_

I followed Autosport live commentary from Jerez (all 4 days) and it was very good. I recommend it.
"...and there, very much in flames, is Jacques Laffite's Ligier. That's obviously a turbo blaze, and of course, Laffite will be able to see that conflagration in his mirrors... he is coolly parking the car somewhere safe." Murray Walker, San Marino 1985

banibhusan

Any other link to follow the testing?

The idiotic network administration team here has banned the autosport site. :(