2012 Testing - Barcelona 2: 21-24 Feb

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
TheBaverianBasterd

Re: Mercedes AMG F1 W04

One thing is for certain, I believe the team have sorted all of the issues from the W03.

It appears they've got the downforce where it needs to be, and the overall balance of the car is much more stable.

Hopefully the tire wear issue will be be equal to every other team. I expect nothing less than victory in Melbourne.

Shakeman

There would be zero benefit to running light in testing having spent the time trying to dampen expectations. Merc revealed their pace others didn't and they might turn out faster or slower than Merc.

Anyway, it can't just be down to downforce the reason for the bigger operating window the W04 has with tyres, can it? That would seem rather simplistic, no?

TheBaverianBasterd

Shakeman wrote:There would be zero benefit to running light in testing having spent the time trying to dampen expectations. Merc revealed their pace others didn't and they might turn out faster or slower than Merc.

Anyway, it can't just be down to downforce the reason for the bigger operating window the W04 has with tyres, can it? That would seem rather simplistic, no?
It's the balance the car has now that makes a huge difference with the tire wear. This is all due to the downforce being properly distributed. Last year's car simply didn't have the proper balance for most of the season, it seems all of their evaluation in the later part of the season has contributed to a much improved package for this season.

Mika1

Shakeman wrote:There would be zero benefit to running light in testing having spent the time trying to dampen expectations. Merc revealed their pace others didn't and they might turn out faster or slower than Merc.

Well, more downforce helps to manage the tyres, but they have improved their coanda exhaust solution and added some parts to protect the rear tyres against the heat of the exhaust sytem. Small steps, but it helps.
The boss follows me on twitter.

sirexilon

TheBaverianBasterd wrote:

It's the balance the car has now that makes a huge difference with the tire wear. This is all due to the downforce being properly distributed. Last year's car simply didn't have the proper balance for most of the season, it seems all of their evaluation in the later part of the season has contributed to a much improved package for this season.
And what makes you think they got it right this year????
To me being able to turn on the tires well in a weather condition that it wont be seen in teh entire season, (meaning so cold) is not a good sign, if anything is more of the same as 2012. If you compare the times to last year, the Cars who made the fastest times (not the quickest of the day) were the ones struggling the entire season, Mercedes, Lotus and Williams for example.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 049&type=1

My only point is, Winter Test is really good for the teams, but NOT AT ALL for the fans. (Not complaining here)
There's NOTHING we can get from it and fly it as REAL truth. We never know the fuel loads, and if the Wing combination was meant for Barcelona lap, or what circuit in the calendar. Hence, we can see a bad lap, but if they were testing some sector that it ca represent some other track and just working on it, then it could mean was a great lap for that test, and we only go through what we see in the clock at the end of the day.

So, Until we are back from the Fly away we can't take anything as real. Hey last year even Ferrari looked fast at some days, how funny that seams after the season now?
Life long F1 fan. Always learning about all the tech around my favorite sport.

http://www.facebook.com/f1myway

BlackMercedes

Mika1 wrote:

Well, more downforce helps to manage the tyres, but they have improved their coanda exhaust solution and added some parts to protect the rear tyres against the heat of the exhaust sytem. Small steps, but it helps.

Said earlier its the basics you get them right then you can move on up

BlackMercedes

It would of been stupid to show the full pace of the car in which nico alluded to being fast in the winter test isn't a great indicator or the rest of the season but does show that they have worked really hard since mid way through last year till now creating a balanced car.

Still don't think the full Melbourne spec was shown though if they can bring upgrades to a third of the races then they maybe within a shout of something good.

Let's see how high Mercedes can climb

I think lotus will be the car to beat

Maelstrom

You guys are forgetting a couple of things. It doesn't always matter who has the fastest car or the most downforce.

Last year the tyres made it so that everybody was struggling. This year they will wear out faster. More pit stops, more marbles, more potential accidents. Add in the usual factors like weather, reliability, accidents and luck and nobody can tell who will win WDC.

Last year Alonso nearly won with a dog of a car for the most part of the year. Hamilton and Button had the fastest car and neither was even in the top 3. Does it really matter if Red Bull is two tenths quicker? Or Merc is? It would matter if they were half a second quicker. Plus the Bulls won't be quicker everywhere. They are always weak on the long straights.

I think it's going to be another year where its going to go down to the line. Only thing that testing has told us so far is that its going to be even closer than last year.

Neno

Maelstrom wrote:You guys are forgetting a couple of things. It doesn't always matter who has the fastest car or the most downforce.
Wow! I never expect to hear this, but Mercedes fans always suprise me. Downforce is everything, if tires are crap, they can pitstop 100 times in race but if they will go 100 times faster trough corners ITS WORTH IT!
RB6 showed that, that car didnt have any special "care" for tires, they did usualy end up with one more pitstop in race then others in beggining but that car was flying, Sory i will always take downforce, instead of "carrying tires". I am sure Perez would rather drive last year Red Bull then Sauber.

Maelstrom

I don't know where you got that from my post. I never said downforce wasn't important. Read my post more carefully.

Mika1

Neno wrote:
Maelstrom wrote:You guys are forgetting a couple of things. It doesn't always matter who has the fastest car or the most downforce.
Wow! I never expect to hear this, but Mercedes fans always suprise me. Downforce is everything, if tires are crap, they can pitstop 100 times in race but if they will go 100 times faster trough corners ITS WORTH IT!
RB6 showed that, that car didnt have any special "care" for tires, they did usualy end up with one more pitstop in race then others in beggining but that car was flying, Sory i will always take downforce, instead of "carrying tires". I am sure Perez would rather drive last year Red Bull then Sauber.
Wrong, reliability is everything. Otherwise you don't finish the race.
The boss follows me on twitter.

Mandrake

In case Mercedes really confirm their pace come Melbourne, could it be they've lucked into the right window for the tires? McLaren had the quickest car by the end of last year, how come they suddenly are said to have lost compared to last year? I still believe Mercedes have finally produced a good car, but I think tired play a big role in this turn of performance

Neno

Mika1 wrote:
Neno wrote:
Wrong, reliability is everything. Otherwise you don't finish the race.
Well if you are fast enough to finish race before youre car fell apart, i am still taking downforce. I that case everything is luck or pure gamble.

TheBaverianBasterd

sirexilon wrote:
TheBaverianBasterd wrote:

And what makes you think they got it right this year????
To me being able to turn on the tires well in a weather condition that it wont be seen in teh entire season, (meaning so cold) is not a good sign, if anything is more of the same as 2012. If you compare the times to last year, the Cars who made the fastest times (not the quickest of the day) were the ones struggling the entire season, Mercedes, Lotus and Williams for example.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 049&type=1

My only point is, Winter Test is really good for the teams, but NOT AT ALL for the fans. (Not complaining here)
There's NOTHING we can get from it and fly it as REAL truth. We never know the fuel loads, and if the Wing combination was meant for Barcelona lap, or what circuit in the calendar. Hence, we can see a bad lap, but if they were testing some sector that it ca represent some other track and just working on it, then it could mean was a great lap for that test, and we only go through what we see in the clock at the end of the day.

So, Until we are back from the Fly away we can't take anything as real. Hey last year even Ferrari looked fast at some days, how funny that seams after the season now?
Why do I think they have it right this year?

Well in spite of my concerns about the long-term future of the big names on their staff working together, it's clear right now all cylinders are firing. They've put enough pieces in place, and divided the labor in a manner that gets results right now. It's clear the W04 has progressed significantly from the W03. This is before we begin to see meaningful updates up and down. They seem to have full understanding of the 60% wind tunnel. I was very skeptical, but as the saying goes, whereas I was once blind I now see. It might be just testing, however, they are on a mission to prove they can field a real car that competes.

The F2012 did not look good last year on any days by my eyes. I didn't even feel all that great about the W03 this time last year. But the W04 gentlemen looks to be the real deal. Lewis also did something huge for that car, he made sure the sticker placement was proper. I've been told that can have a significant impact on performance, perhaps costing the team half a second per lap in worst case scenarios.

infy

Yup. Sticker placement...

Apparently that is why Ferrari put the UPS sticker next to the exhausts...