Alternative history: the 2008championship without misfortune

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
PlatinumZealot

Re: Alternative history: the 2008championship without misfor

Grand Prix of Canada
Canada 2008 is of course remembered for the pit stop incident in which Hamilton ran into the back of Räikkönen. So while this doesn't do anything for the Brit in this article, Kimi was not at fault here, and could have won the race, as he pulled out before the eventual race winner, Robert Kubica. Felipe Massa meanwhile had to make an extra stop due to a refueling problem. Giving Massa back the time he lost with the extra pit stop, he would have not finished 5th behind Glock, but 3rd in front of Glock and Coulthard.

Standings 2008: Massa 38pt, Hamilton 38pt, Räikkönen 35pt
Alternative standings: Räikkönen 52pt, Massa 45pt, Hamilton 38pt
Hold on there mnracer. If you know your statistics and probability. These two events are mutually inclusive. If Raikkonen DNF it was hamilton crashing into him. If Raikkonen Finish... there was nobody for Hamilton to crash into. So you have to change that one you see? Understand what I mean there?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

mnmracer
mnmracer

BMW_F1 wrote:The only one glorifying drivers here is you giving kimi a 2nd place in australia when he was running last before he retired.
He was in last place because he started in the back due to bad luck. His race pace was worth of p2.
n smikle wrote:Hold on there mnracer. If you know your statistics and probability. These two events are mutually inclusive. If Raikkonen DNF it was hamilton crashing into him. If Raikkonen Finish... there was nobody for Hamilton to crash into. So you have to change that one you see? Understand what I mean there?
I'm not completely re-writing every part of F1 history. I'm just taking out bad luck to paint a more accurate picture of driver's performances. Raikkonen's performance in Canada is inaccurate in the statistics because of bad luck (Hamilton). Hamilton created his own performance in the statistics.

By that reasoning Vettel would have won Turkey 2010 for instance. Not quite in the spirit of this article.

BMW_F1
BMW_F1

Also your math is wrong for France. If kimi wins the race then massa who was right behind him collects 8 points. You seem to have subtracted points for massa instead of adding 8.
Also is very interesting that up until this point in the standings Robert was 2nd in the WDC standings with 46 points.

BMW_F1
BMW_F1

Re Australia, so you are totally ignoring some driver mistakes in the race and simply granting points on pace? If that is the case you should give 10 pts to massa for singapore.
Did you actually watched that race and saw what happened after the safety car? How kimi in an over ambitious move overshot a turn and spun all by himself going all the way to back? And that he did this not once but twice in this race and same turn. I think you need to rewatch.

BMW_F1
BMW_F1

Fyi:

Lap 30: The race restarts and Raikkonen zooms past Kovalainen but then suffers disaster as he misses his braking point and drives into the gravel. It ruins his strategy of not pitting in order to move into second.

Lap 38: Raikkonen is 46 seconds behind Hamilton. It is proving to be a nightmare start to the new season for the reigning world champion.

Lap 42: Raikkonen goes wide at turn three and puts one wheel into the dirt, losing all grip and again going off track.

mnmracer
mnmracer

Because of all your bitching, I would have almost missed that you actually made a good point regarding France. Thank you for that correction. Wrong decimal.

Raikkonen would not have made the mistake overtaking Kovallainen if not for the bad luck in qualifying; he would have been in front of him. Even then, just prior to his engine starting to fail, he was faster and he was catching up. Either way you spin it, p2 was realistic.

TheRMVR

Mod edit:

I'm not sure I get what this about. So I'll leave you to it.
Last edited by Richard on 26 Feb 2012, 00:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Different words, same meaning without being rude.

mnmracer
mnmracer

If you're not interested for whatever reason, just don't read it. There are plenty of people who do find it interesting.

SiLo

Apart from some tiny mistakes, I am grateful for the read and cannot wait for the 2005 one. Could you also do one for 2003? Whichever was the year that Kimi almost won against Schumacher. I remember reading an article in F1 magazine that worked out that Kimi had lost two world titles to mechanical failures, and this was before he won with Ferrari.
Felipe Baby!

PlatinumZealot

BMW_F1 wrote:Re Australia, so you are totally ignoring some driver mistakes in the race and simply granting points on pace? If that is the case you should give 10 pts to massa for singapore.
Did you actually watched that race and saw what happened after the safety car? How kimi in an over ambitious move overshot a turn and spun all by himself going all the way to back? And that he did this not once but twice in this race and same turn. I think you need to rewatch.
He writes very interesting, but rose tinted articles. His love for Raikkonen and Vettel has clouded his judgement.

The writing quality is great but Mnracer your fanaticism has stooped to a new low for F1technical! :lol:
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

PlatinumZealot

Do one for 2010!!
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

BMW_F1
BMW_F1

mnmracer wrote:Because of all your bitching, I would have almost missed that you actually made a good point regarding France. Thank you for that correction. Wrong decimal.

Raikkonen would not have made the mistake overtaking Kovallainen if not for the bad luck in qualifying; he would have been in front of him. Even then, just prior to his engine starting to fail, he was faster and he was catching up. Either way you spin it, p2 was realistic.
You are funny, then do the same for singapore, massa would not have spun around if he had not been at the back due to a farse safety car that was deliberatly fabricated - talk about bad luck. And then his team releases his with the fuel rig attached. Massa had p1 pace throughout this weekend so P1 wihout all the bad luck is realistic +10 for massa.

Any way you spin it kimi had a terrible 2008 season, it does not really matter how many more points you want to give your favorite driver and how many points you want to take away from massa when at the end both drivers had bad luck and lack brilliance.

Conclusion, even with your own analysis, of giving unrealistic bonus points, kimi still comes behind massa in the standings (correcting the mistake you made in france)

BMW_F1
BMW_F1

For those interested in a more realistic analysis i will leave you with this article.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/73 ... ary-points

TheRMVR

BMW_F1 wrote:For those interested in a more realistic analysis i will leave you with this article.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/73 ... ary-points
That's a pretty neutral perspective, a lot more realistic thank you. But it's still the 'what if..' game.

beelsebob
beelsebob

n smikle wrote:Do one for 2010!!
Unfortunately, 2010 was only an interesing season because of missfortune – removing it just makes it another 2011.