2012 Testing - Barcelona 2: 1 - 4 March

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
dren

Re: Third Test – Barcelona, 1 - 4 March

There certainly was a design temperature range for the tires Pirelli made. The colder weather of Barcelona may not be within that range, or at a far end of it.
Honda!

lebesset

raymondu999 wrote:I find it very confusing to be honest. Last year they (Pirelli) cited the cold testing temps as the reason for the rubbish life of their tyres. Now they're citing it as a reason for the extended life?
rubbish life from pirelli last year ? I thought the problem was they were lasting too long , and were to be designed to have shorter life this year ; last year the best teams soon got to grips with tyre usage after whining to start with

race driving is about more than the fastest lap ; tyre life , fuel usage etc always have been and always should be part of the skill set of a driver and the designer so that the cream comes to the top ; the conservative bridgestone policy detracted from those skills
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

dren

Gui59 wrote:Interesting analyse here from an ex Ferrari:
http://www.blogf1.it/2012/03/06/focus-m ... invernali/
Interesting read for sure. He is only looking at the quickest lap by each team and then comparing that to a supposed fuel load. There are so many other factors such as tire choice, track conditions, etc. This could easily sway these numbers a lot.

Most everyone else I've read has Red Bull and Mclaren in the lead. Then Mercedes and Lotus, next with Ferrari and then the rest.
Honda!

raymondu999

lebesset wrote:
raymondu999 wrote:I find it very confusing to be honest. Last year they (Pirelli) cited the cold testing temps as the reason for the rubbish life of their tyres. Now they're citing it as a reason for the extended life?
rubbish life from pirelli last year ?
Like I said - testing.
失败者找理由,成功者找方法

Moanlower

dren wrote:
He is only looking at the quickest lap by each team and then comparing that to a supposed fuel load. There are so many other factors such as tire choice, track conditions, etc.
Ferrari also said they haven't used DRS yet to put in a quick lap. Also, how ideal was their setup and package at that time, engine revs, how faultless was Alonso's fastest lap, engine revs, KERS ? Tooo many unknown variables to make conclusions about these fastest laps in testing. I didn't read the article though, italian isn't my forte.
Losers focus on winners, winners focus on winning.

JohnsonsEvilTwin

This guy has Force India Sauber and Willaims pretty much level pegging with McLaren.
I suggest he crunches these numbers again.

He also has Lotus ahead of McLaren if im reading this table correctly.
More could have been done.
David Purley

lebesset

http://www.f1sa.com/index.php?option=co ... Itemid=157

not rubbish enough perhaps ?

I feel pirelli have been extrememely brave in risking their reputation in order to produce better racing ...as they were asked to do I admit

but the tyres have to be for the temperatures that the races actually experience , not what has been experienced in testing ; anyone who woke up to -4C as I did will tell you that conditions were not normal for spain , a local told me that it was the coldest for 60 years
to the optimist a glass is half full ; to the pessimist a glass is half empty ; to the F1 engineer the glass is twice as big as it needs to be

snoop1050

JohnsonsEvilTwin wrote:
This guy has Force India Sauber and Willaims pretty much level pegging with McLaren.
I suggest he crunches these numbers again.

He also has Lotus ahead of McLaren if im reading this table correctly.
yea its pretty ridiculous to suggest williams are gonna be up there come melbourne lol

ecapox

The analysis is based on pure care speed. With that, the drivers have to extract that speed from the car. So no, he isnt saying that Sauber and Williams will be fighting with McLaren in Melbourne. He says that the cars have a similar lap time (based on his estimates of fuel carried) if the cars were run with zero fuel. Also you need to take into consideration his last analysis on how the cars use their tires...both of which are also very important to ultimate race pace.

If you guys arent fluent in Italian, there is no way you can just look at some stats that he posted and agree or disagree with what he has said. Even if you translate it, you have lost 25% of what he was trying to get across.

snoop1050

the analysis is based on the fastest laptime the car posted...

so how is it only based on pure car speed and not what the driver extracted?

Francesc

Moanlower wrote:
dren wrote:
He is only looking at the quickest lap by each team and then comparing that to a supposed fuel load. There are so many other factors such as tire choice, track conditions, etc.
Ferrari also said they haven't used DRS yet to put in a quick lap. Also, how ideal was their setup and package at that time, engine revs, how faultless was Alonso's fastest lap, engine revs, KERS ? Tooo many unknown variables to make conclusions about these fastest laps in testing. I didn't read the article though, italian isn't my forte.
Where have you read that???

JohnsonsEvilTwin

ecapox wrote:If you guys arent fluent in Italian, there is no way you can just look at some stats that he posted and agree or disagree with what he has said. Even if you translate it, you have lost 25% of what he was trying to get across.
Iam afraid even this cannot be lost in translation:
> The Red Bull is still ahead;
> The Lotus is the second force;
> The McLaren is the third force;
> Ferrari - Mercedes - Williams is the fourth force;
> Force India-Sauber - Toro Rosso are the fifth force;
I disagree with this^^^^

And I'm certain it hasn't anything to do with the translate button on chrome. :D
More could have been done.
David Purley

Crucial_Xtreme

Re: Ferrari F2012

No problem in high speed curves it seems...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Y_T7loTN4[/youtube]
Last edited by Richard on 09 Mar 2012, 00:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: From F2012 thread

ema00

it seems to be speeded (the movie) look at the corner approach

bonjon1979

Crucial_Xtreme wrote:No problem in high speed curves it seems...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D7Y_T7loTN4[youtube]
From the sped up camera shake and pan I'd say that video isnt being played at x1 speed. Could be wrong tho...
Last edited by Richard on 08 Mar 2012, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed video quoted from post above