Australian Grand Prix As Nightrace

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What do you thingk of an AUS Nightrace.

Yes, would be a great experience.
20%
Nightraces are for wannabees and show-offs.
15%
Yes, better to watch the race in the afternoon.
12%
Nightraces are for fanboys.
5%
I don't like nightraces, but AUS would be cool.
2%
Nightraces are for kids.
7%
No, a nightrace as season starter is a no-no.
20%
Nightraces favour drivers with a better eyesight.
2%
I love nightraces, bring it on.
17%

Total votes: 41

FrukostScones

Australian Grand Prix As Nightrace

Bernie wants them do make it a nightrace for the sake of the starting time.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/97734

I loved the old starting time in the middle of the night. I think it was 4 o clock in the night CET for me.
It added drama and suspense to the already thrilling start of the season.
The question was, do I stay awake or do I get up. Of course I stayed awake.
Now you have to get up at 7 o clock CET or at 6 GMT.

Making it a nighrace would change the starting time to sunday afternoon. Not too bad, kills a bit of drama, would be fine but: I hate nightraces.

Why? Because you see less and it makes the whole experience artificial, more like a carnival for people who want to show off being part of the show. I know Formula 1 is a circus and a big show, but there is more.
Finishing races is important, but racing is more important.

Lurk

Re: Australian Grand Prix As Nightrace

I didn't stay awake because I was just a child at these times but waking up at 4 o'clock with my brother to see the first race of the season was incredible. i was barely awake, prepared something to eat and when the lights came green, all my muscles were tightening up and my eyes opening wide. I really enjoyed it!
Same thing with Suzuka when it was closing the season.

I don't have anything against night race - in fact I kinda like it because of the color changes, reflection of the lights & sparkles - but Melbourne should stay in the morning for Europe, and revert back to the old starting time would be truly awesome.

Websta

I like the idea of a night race, but the two current night race circuits are equally spectacular in daylight. I would prefer a twilight race in Singapore, and a twilight Australian GP would be very nice. I can't see a night race happening at Albert Park though - the people of Melbourne already don't like the GP that much and if it went till 10pm like Singapore, they would probably lie down on the pit straight in protest.

I live in Aus and I don't like the afternoon race starts (local time). All the European rounds start here at 10pm here which I think is a great time as it caps off the weekend and I can go to sleep afterwards (except if Webber crashes out), so I would welcome a later race start.

Off topic: Wasn't there talk of a race down the Vegas strip a few years ago? That would make a fantastic night race, but would be at a bad time for Europe.

Cold Fussion
Cold Fussion

Bernie can take his night races and shove them up his arse. You cannot call something a night race if it has thousands of flood lights illuminating the track as if it is daylight and if you are adding in so much artificial light to replicate the light levels of a daytime race, why on earth are you racing in the night in the first place? If you want a night race, put some lights on the cars and do it properly, everything else is utter rubbish.

scuderiafan

I'd just like to HAVE a race at Albert Park.
"You're so angry that you throw your gloves down, and the worst part is; you have to pick them up again." - Steve Matchett

Patiently waiting...

megz

The local event organisers should be the ones dictating THEIR race. Why should Australia be made to panda to European audiences? The locals should be able to attend their own race at a reasonable time. I wouldn't expect Monza to become a night race to better suit me here in New Zealand so why should Bernie expect a race near this piece of planet to better suit audiences elsewhere.

If the Aussie organisers and the Aussie fans wanted a night race let them do it. What irks me is the reasons given and that local event organisers are being given incentives to disadvantage the local crowds.

Hail22

Honestly Bernie does not understand that Victoria/Albert Parks business dealings are with Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, China, Japan and most of Asia...The time as it is right now is perfect.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

elmerfud
elmerfud

Tony cochrane, head of the v8 supercars is trying to garner support from the Adelaide state government to to make the clipsal 500 race a night race. (Murray walker regularly attends that race and is a big advocate for an Adelaide F1 return).
The victorian government has poured cold water on the night race proposition (albert park).

Look for a possible return to Adelaide.

Plus, Bernie said Adelaide over his dead body: 80 years old, cant be far off!!!!

CMSMJ1
CMSMJ1

I'd be happy if the race started at 1400 local time and I had to get out of bed to watch it.

The locals, rightly, don't want a night race. So, let Bernie eat cake!
IMPERATOR REX ANGLORUM

WhiteBlue

Bernie wants the race to run at night in order to gain greater viewership from European TV companies. It's on him to provide the financial incentives to the promoter to switch to that format. Personally I like Singapore and the night format. I think that Australia will be very similar. You have a high probablility anyway that Australia will end up being run alternating with either Malaysia or Singapore in the long run. The race has a huge deficit and that will not be carried by the tax payer forever. They should form an equipment pool between the Asian races to share the cost of the lighting equipment between all races that could make use of it. Perhaps that would save some cost.

Edit: spelling
Last edited by WhiteBlue on 04 Mar 2012, 02:54, edited 1 time in total.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

MichealPoole
MichealPoole

I think it's a great idea!

Lurk

Cold Fussion wrote:Bernie can take his night races and shove them up his arse. You cannot call something a night race if it has thousands of flood lights illuminating the track as if it is daylight and if you are adding in so much artificial light to replicate the light levels of a daytime race, why on earth are you racing in the night in the first place? If you want a night race, put some lights on the cars and do it properly, everything else is utter rubbish.
Same track day & night:

Whatever you can say, night races are not like daylight races. Visibility could be the same but atmosphere is totally different. You can like it or not but you cannot say it's the same.
Problem is TV cameras which lighten to much the images & destroy part of the contrast.

elmerfud
elmerfud

Bernie wants bankrupt Eurozone viewers to take precedence over the taxpaying australians who fund largely his little 2hr car parade for the cost of a major rail upgrade.

If we are to lose the race, I'd be over it in cup of coffee and a biscuit.

Hail22

elmerfud wrote:Bernie wants bankrupt Eurozone viewers to take precedence over the taxpaying australians who fund largely his little 2hr car parade for the cost of a major rail upgrade.

If we are to lose the race, I'd be over it in cup of coffee and a biscuit.

Interesting Analogy, i like it.

Bernie doesn't understand "business" there is now more media saturation in Japan, China, South Korea.

Yet out of those three only one is in debt the other two nations balance sheets are in the black...

If money talks he better leave it as it is and be nice, Victoria uses the Grand Prix to canvas coal seam gas, mining which China is heavily invested in Australia.

There is more to a race then cars going around a circuit ;) its the best excuse for business meetings or warming up the client.
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve