Bahrain GP situation: postponed, reinstated, cancelled

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

Race in Bahrain?

Yes.
29%
Don't care either way.
8%
No.
63%

Total votes: 93

myurr
myurr

Re: Bahrain GP situation: postponed, reinstated, cancelled

WhiteBlue wrote:http://www.jamesallenonf1.com/2012/04/t ... n-bahrain/

James Allan thinks that the event has actually done more damage to the Al-Khalifa's cause than good. I do agree with that.

Ross Brawn has said that the teams need to sit together after the event and develop an opinion. That can only mean that they probably will object to run the Bahrain GP again under similar circumstances. That is good news for the people of Bahrain. The royals will have to change or loose their prestigious event.
A bit contradictory isn't it. The event has done more damage to the Al-Khalifa's cause than good, but not holding the GP would be good for the people of Bahrain?

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

myurr wrote:

James Allan thinks that the event has actually done more damage to the Al-Khalifa's cause than good. I do agree with that.

Ross Brawn has said that the teams need to sit together after the event and develop an opinion. That can only mean that they probably will object to run the Bahrain GP again under similar circumstances. That is good news for the people of Bahrain. The royals will have to change or loose their prestigious event.
A bit contradictory isn't it. The event has done more damage to the Al-Khalifa's cause than good, but not holding the GP would be good for the people of Bahrain?
Indeed.

The Grand Prix has as of late been THE only outlet for the general public who aren't really interested otherwise, to see and hear about the unrest and how the regime are spinning things.

If we had not gone there, there would be less outrage, therefore less interest for news networks to follow the story (less controversy = less viewers/ratings) and the protesters would have had a much smaller group of people hearing their cries.

myurr
myurr

Grandstands are filling up nicely according to Brundle. Wonder if that's now a positive or somehow irrelevant according to the gospel of WhiteBlue?

myurr
myurr

Paul Di Resta from Force India currently being interviewed on Sky as well giving them air time...

Richard
Richard

Can't get live timing. Is it down, or is it just me?

manchild
manchild

This is not a reply to you WB, nothing personal, I'm just taking it as a point in chain of events to write my own last.

A person has been killed by the armed forces who were preventing peaceful protesters from getting near F1. They had more than enough time to sit down and make right decision before a person was beaten and shot to death because of F1.

When this man got killed, the time for any noble and humane action by someone from F1 has expired for good. There is no turning back. With the death of this man, the last chance for F1 to gain back it's respect and dignity has ceased to exist.

For me, today is the funeral of F1 too, regardless on what happens later today. All those from F1 who could have raised their voice for the sake of boycott or cancellation of the race have been either silent or supportive to regime, including all drivers.

It is no surprise that after almost two decades of absolutist dragging of F1 into mud of dishonesty, lies and corruption, it eventually resulted in someone getting killed for the sake of protection of those business and political interests, that have nothing to do with the sport, which F1 once used to be.

Therefore, I publicly disown any sympathy for F1 that was left in me. I simply can't support in any way those who are supporting murderers, and lie that they don't know what is going on.

Hail22

I agree, I hope the slobs of society reap the whirlwind when the day comes..
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve

SeijaKessen

I think there is going to be a price paid at some point for the total lack of regard committed by the powers that be.

F1 resembles a corporate business that just happens to feature racing.

A shame...this is not what F1 is supposed to be.

myurr
myurr

Yet you all watched the race the very definition of hypocritical.

Plus do we know how the protestor was killed? All I've read is that he was dressed as a protestor and was found dead on a roof. He was beaten and possibly had been shot with buckshot but that wasn't what killed him, it was probably the beatings. Autopsy has yet to be completed. I sympathise with both the protestor and his family but until we know the circumstances we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Would he be alive had F1 not been in Bahrain or would he have been clashing with security forces anyway?

SimMaker
SimMaker

"I agree, I hope the slobs of society reap the whirlwind when the day comes.."

"A person has been killed by the armed forces who were preventing peaceful protesters from getting near F1. "

Come now gentlemen. Can we clear our heads a little, take a step back?

"Peaceful"

You both appear to support the protestors. Fair enough. I don't really know who is who or what, so just see a clusterduck.

But the comment from Hail seems to be wishing some kind of violence on another area of society seperate to him. And Manchild, still refers to "Peaceful" protestors who we have all seen pictures of, with molotov cocktails, fire tire barriers and attacks on the police with Bricks and knives.

Sigh....

It is not so difficult to see the apparant hypocricy or propaganda in such posts, and surely it will be cooler heads that prevail.

Being on one side or the other will not solve this conflict. But bringing the two sides together will (Maybe through F1?). So stop cheering for violence. Some of you sound dissapointed that the race went off without incident.

Or are some of you now going to write to your MPs and demnd that the RAF pick up where F1 left off, and start a bombing campaign to bring "peace"?

Maybe Bernie did the right thing. Maybe with the world watching, it has forced all sides to uncomfortable positions. No one likes looking down the barrel of a gun, maybe now they will talk? or go to war? who knows.....

But F1 did the only thing it could do. Put on a race.

Roll on Spain. (Currently in an escelating crisis with Argentina....but lets not go there......:) )

Peace.

WhiteBlue

myurr wrote:Grandstands are filling up nicely according to Brundle. Wonder if that's now a positive or somehow irrelevant according to the gospel of WhiteBlue?
I believe it was only one grandstand if at all. There are reports that even Paddock club passes were given away. People with access to the club and it's gourmet restaurants were seen at fast food stands because they did not know the food was included in their pass. Pretty hilarious if you consider it. Bernie must have lost serious money on that occasion. It was probably the worst single business result he did for many years.

But I'm sure his pal Salman will lavishly compensate him for the loss to keep him happy.

The loosers were the Al-Khalifas. Their propaganda lies were exposed to all the world and they paid Bernie for it. It will be interesting to see the reaction.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

Richard
Richard

WhiteBlue wrote:Paddock club passes were given away. ...Bernie must have lost serious money on that occasion.
As I recall, Bernie gets money from a race fee, TV rights and trackside advertising.

All of that would have been fixed some time ago, Bernie hasn't lost any money.

The circuit gets money from selling things to people who attend - tickets, hospitality & merchandising. They're the ones who lost out.

myurr
myurr

WhiteBlue wrote:
myurr wrote:Grandstands are filling up nicely according to Brundle. Wonder if that's now a positive or somehow irrelevant according to the gospel of WhiteBlue?
I believe it was only one grandstand if at all. There are reports that even Paddock club passes were given away. People with access to the club and it's gourmet restaurants were seen at fast food stands because they did not know the food was included in their pass. Pretty hilarious if you consider it. Bernie must have lost serious money on that occasion. It was probably the worst single business result he did for many years.

But I'm sure his pal Salman will lavishly compensate him for the loss to keep him happy.

The loosers were the Al-Khalifas. Their propaganda lies were exposed to all the world and they paid Bernie for it. It will be interesting to see the reaction.
Everything you have just said is speculation dressed up as fact and ultimately propaganda unless you can back it up with evidence.

myurr
myurr

I should add that looking through the F1.com gallery for today there was one picture of the main grandstand showing it packed and two pictures of a different grand stand that was mostly empty. Official attendance if I remember correctly from the race broadcast was around 21,000 which is low compared to the 2009 figure a quick google showed (28,000). Circuit capacity is ~34,000.

So the crowd was lower than usual but still significant for a typically poorly attended race. Care to justify the rest of the things you said?

Hail22

myurr wrote:Yet you all watched the race the very definition of hypocritical.
There is a difference from watching it to being updated via intercom from a sibling of whats going on, despite what you may believe I refused to watch that race and instead was doing after hours work.

http://www.smh.com.au/world/british-tv- ... 1xfpv.html

On Topic.

So in conclusion, Assumption makes an a** out of you and me so don't generalise :)
If someone said to me that you can have three wishes, my first would have been to get into racing, my second to be in Formula 1, my third to drive for Ferrari.

Gilles Villeneuve