Pastor Maldonado

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Pup
Pup

Re: Pastor Maldonado

WilliamsF1 wrote:You like that dick steward should read section 20.4 of the regulations...
Chill.

Maldonado did the exact same thing to Kimi earlier in the race and at the same spot. It happens at chicanes multiple times in every race, and I've never seen a penalty thrown for it.

Nando

WilliamsF1 wrote:You like that dick steward should read section 20.4 of the regulations state –

Manoeuvres liable to hinder other drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car beyond the edge of the track or any other abnormal change of direction, are not permitted.
And perhaps you should read the stewards official decision on the matter.

As for the little rule there. Prove it. All Hamilton did was make the corner.

This move is accepted in Formula 1 and has been around for ages. Because Maldonado starts to bitch about a move he himself has done several times (even in the last race) does not make it any different then before.

The only thing that should be looked at in this case is Maldonado entering the racetrack inappropriately and ending another driver´s race.

Anyone remember what started the whole SPA battle with Kimi and Hamilton?
That´s what you do in a situation like that. Or back out.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

marcush.

I go along with Alan Jones view of things: "you cannot trust southamericans " :roll: :roll:
At some point you just need to be uncompromising and Hamilton had no need to be friendly or give room to Maldonado as he was of the track at that point.
Put a wall or guardrail there and the car is shed to pieces.to even attempt to complete an overtaking move with all wheels off the track is not sports and should be penalised with a black flag .
Last edited by marcush. on 25 Jun 2012, 19:19, edited 1 time in total.

FW17

Nando wrote: That´s what you do in a situation like that. Or back out.
Nando you are forgetting that once off the track PM could not have avoided the sleeping policemen that was lined up at the turn. The way he was pushed out, he could not have slowed down to go around those things. LH KR situation would have been the same had there been some barriers at the bus stop chicane.
This move is accepted in Formula 1 and has been around for ages.

Argument till now was that there was no rule. My contention is event 2 (PM running into the side of LH) happened because of event 1 (rule 20.4). So why is the steward review so one sided.

Pup
Pup

WilliamsF1 wrote:Nando you are forgetting that once off the track PM could not have avoided the sleeping policemen that was lined up at the turn. The way he was pushed out, he could not have slowed down to go around those things.
Why not? Why didn't Kimi plow into Maldonado earlier in the race? Do the brakes on the Williams not work outside the track?

canfan

I just don't understand this one.

First, LH pushed PM right off to the outside of the track; the only reason PM had to re-enter the track was because LH had pushed him off it.

Second, PM's front wing was actually ahead of LH's upon entering the corner. The incident occured when Hamilton was trying to pass PM back.

At best one could consider that they were side by side and each had to allow room for the other, which LH failed to do.

Nando

WilliamsF1 wrote:Nando you are forgetting that once off the track PM could not have avoided the sleeping policemen that was lined up at the turn. The way he was pushed out, he could not have slowed down to go around those things. LH KR situation would have been the same had there been some barriers at the bus stop chicane.
Actually i´m not, and he could have avoided "the sleeping policeman" simply by going straight ahead or making the pass stick like Grosjean did. Like EVERY OTHER driver has done for years.

He made the wrong decision here and tried to enter the track where another car was.
WilliamsF1 wrote:Argument till now was that there was no rule. My contention is event 2 (PM running into the side of LH) happened because of event 1 (rule 20.4). So why is the steward review so one sided.
Not sure how you connect those two. Maldonado himself had several options here.

Under-cut hamilton (not always this works)
Go around the outside (must be in front almost for the person on the inside to yield)
Go left after he was off track.
Back off and try next time.

Going off track and T-boning another driver is not ok. He tried to make it work but he failed, that´s why he´s mad at Hamilton.
"Il Phenomeno" - The one they fear the most!

"2% of the world's population own 50% of the world's wealth."

CmdrVOODOO

While Pastor was the one who ran into Hamilton, Lewis should have just let him by. He wasn't going to hold Maldonado off through the end of the race anyway. He should have been thinking "championship" and he clearly wasn't. Had the attempted pass been with another driver, there probably wouldn't have been an incident in the first place.

I blame both drivers for not thinking beyond the moment, but Pastor should have been more patient. He would have gotten by Lewis eventually. When you're dealing with Hamilton, you have to know he's not going to give up a position without a fight.

GrizzleBoy

canfan wrote:I just don't understand this one.

First, LH pushed PM right off to the outside of the track; the only reason PM had to re-enter the track was because LH had pushed him off it.

Second, PM's front wing was actually ahead of LH's upon entering the corner. The incident occured when Hamilton was trying to pass PM back.

At best one could consider that they were side by side and each had to allow room for the other, which LH failed to do.
He didn't "push" Maldonado.

Maldonado had more than enough time to decide to back off and slot in behind Lewis given that there wasn't actually anywhere for him to go.

Instead, he kept driving under the pretensis that Lewis having claimed the racing line during the braking phase and corner entry, would somehow evaporate and not be there as he continued on.

Of course, the only place for him to continue to, was off the track. That was his decision.

TzeiTzei

--- happens, although i have to say that it seems to happen quite often around Pastor. He should calm down and think more about what he's doing. He such a fast and spectacular driver (i think he's "outperformed" his car on several occasions this year), but why doesn't he learn from his mistakes. Be fast, but be reasonable, patient and smart. He's got a lot of potential but he needs to get his thinking right.

As for the collision, well i'm just tired of everyone trying to find someone to blame. Imo they both acted stupidly. Maldonado had driven brilliantly all weekend and was about bring a lot of valuable points for Williams. Lewis' tyres were already gone and Pastor must have seen that. And yet he made a do or die move. Lewis on the other hand is fighting for the championship. The big picture. WDC contenders can't afford to collide with outsiders like Maldonado. Disappointing stuff from both of them #-o

andartop

It's ok to be pissed at Maldonado as he has a bad history in keeping out of trouble, but I find it very poor taste (to say the least) when different posters here as well as in the race thread start calling him names (or asking for Maldonado to be kidnapped and beaten), given Hamilton's own history. I think it's worth taking a trip down memory lane to Singapore 2010, when Hamilton and Webber crashed while Hamilton was trying to overtake on the outside and Webber just kept the racing line. Based on what I've read here Hamilton was 100% at fault and should have been handed a penalty by the stewards, which he wasn't. Much more recently, Hamilton overtook Rosberg in Bahrain 2012 by going completely off the track; he didn't give the place back and he wasn't even investigated. Rosberg was investigated and found not guilty, which should have triggered an automatic penalty for Hamilton: if Rosberg did nothing wrong then obviously Hamilton gained an unfair advantage! I am not trying to say the stewards favor Hamilton or that the crash with Maldonado was Hamilton's fault. But please, before you start name-calling keep in mind that all drivers can make mistakes and have made mistakes, and specifically Mr Hamilton is probably the all time record holder of getting involved in incidents and collecting reprimands and penalties, even without counting all the times he got away with it, like the two aforementioned! Now, if a WDC with years of experience in F1 can make such mistakes then surely Maldonado can as well!!!
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

Sjamaan

andartop wrote:It's ok to be pissed at Maldonado as he has a bad history in keeping out of trouble, but I find it very poor taste (to say the least) when different posters here as well as in the race thread start calling him names (or asking for Maldonado to be kidnapped and beaten), given Hamilton's own history. I think it's worth taking a trip down memory lane to Singapore 2010, when Hamilton and Webber crashed while Hamilton was trying to overtake on the outside and Webber just kept the racing line. Based on what I've read here Hamilton was 100% at fault and should have been handed a penalty by the stewards, which he wasn't. Much more recently, Hamilton overtook Rosberg in Bahrain 2012 by going completely off the track; he didn't give the place back and he wasn't even investigated. Rosberg was investigated and found not guilty, which should have triggered an automatic penalty for Hamilton: if Rosberg did nothing wrong then obviously Hamilton gained an unfair advantage! I am not trying to say the stewards favor Hamilton or that the crash with Maldonado was Hamilton's fault. But please, before you start name-calling keep in mind that all drivers can make mistakes and have made mistakes, and specifically Mr Hamilton is probably the all time record holder of getting involved in incidents and collecting reprimands and penalties, even without counting all the times he got away with it, like the two aforementioned! Now, if a WDC with years of experience in F1 can make such mistakes then surely Maldonado can as well!!!
So true... It's like the pot calling the kettle black all over.

thearmofbarlow

WilliamsF1 wrote: Nando you are forgetting that once off the track PM could not have avoided the sleeping policemen that was lined up at the turn. The way he was pushed out, he could not have slowed down to go around those things. LH KR situation would have been the same had there been some barriers at the bus stop chicane.

Argument till now was that there was no rule. My contention is event 2 (PM running into the side of LH) happened because of event 1 (rule 20.4). So why is the steward review so one sided.

Are you actually on the Williams payroll? That's the only way I can figure you could remotely argue either of these points. He HAD to run into Hamilton because there were bumps ahead?!>>! :wtf:

He HAD to run into Hamilton because Hamilton was a BETTER DRIVER and held his line throughout the corner?

Know when you're absolutely 100% wrong and back off. Really, at this point, this is just a joke.
Last edited by mx_tifoso on 26 Jun 2012, 06:41, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed personal comments.

sAx
sAx

JimClarkFan wrote:
sAx wrote:
JimClarkFan wrote:Can't we all just agree this was a racing incident?
+1! Certainly can agree that, just can't agree the spoiled brat, given fastest car nonsense. There is a lot of evidence to suggest that LH has not been in the fastest car for the last 4yrs.
I have been highly critical of Lewis in the past, particularly last year. But this year he is a changed man, he isn't moody at all, his attitude is great.

Anyone who says he has had the fastest car since entering F1, well they have bot been watching the same F1 I have been since 09.
Agreed. Many an argument could be made for JVilleneuve (Williams), Michael Andretti (McLaren), Button (Williams), Schumacher (Benetton), all in front running cars at start of career. Don't see why prodigious talent should be a barrier at any stage.
Last edited by sAx on 25 Jun 2012, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
Integrity, Trust, Respect.

Follow me: http://twitter.com/#!/sAx247

canfan

Ummm, LH's wheels were on the red and yellow rumblestrips at the left edge of the track. PM was alongside (ahead, but let's not quibble) going into the corner. So where did Hamilton leave the room? I'm still very confused.

Also, in other circumstances maybe PM has not been patient enough, but he was only going to have one more opportunity after this go at the prime passing location of the race.