Pastor Maldonado

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
Cam

Re: Pastor Maldonado

Curious, after reading much of this thread, I searched YouTube for 'Maldonado Crash' to get an idea of his overall efforts in F1 and other classes, and a lot of the accidents this driver has been in all have similar themes - really, have a look it's uncanny. It's almost as though his judgement is off, like he's wearing those weird 'drunk' goggles skewing his actual vision by 5º. He either needs an eye test or it's quite possible he simply doesn't take situations into full context at all before acting. Either way it's dangerous.
“There is only one good, knowledge, and one evil, ignorance.”
― Socrates
Ignorance is a state of being uninformed. Ignorant describes a person in the state of being unaware
who deliberately ignores or disregards important information or facts. © all rights reserved.

GTSpeedster

So I guess Maldonado took it from Massa as Britain's most hated, huh? Makes you wonder... :mrgreen:

mzivtins
mzivtins

in the end i think its just a case of who did worse.

LH did'nt give him much room but did have the racing, and yeah his car was shot, and we were all thinking he should just conceed and give the position away as damage limitation.

But then PM crashed into a car from off the track, hamiltons is circumstantial, and a best guess, we could see that his car was ailing and all say what he should have done. But sadly for PM it is clear fact he came off the track and hit hamilton.

Studying it afterwards you can see clearly that PM had turnted the wheel completely to the left far before any contact with hamilton, it was the curb that destroyed the ability for him to steer that then led to him going straight into hamilton.

So first reactions... PM YOU'RE A CU#T

After looking at it with all things considered... PM shame, you were presented with a very slow car wth a master of racing at the wheel... you chose your moment at the wrong time (but then who are we to say as non f1 drivers) and the curb made the problem worse.

So i feel a bit sorry for PM, but in now way was it any of hamiltons fault. Who on earth could argue that it could be someones fault from driving on the racing line in a raceand being hit from the side or back could be the guy infronts fault unless he moved ILLEGALLY in the first place.

I believe the penalty was spot on. It took away the points for merc and gave macca a little more points with buttons position moving up.

In terms of PM driving, (only f1 years, not gp2 or prior years) i would say its a questionable as some of the others, and therefore makes me feel its purely racing beyond thinking, leading to an accident. Blocking and being a general bastard does not matter so long as you do not cause an accident... it's why so many people hate schuey! :lol:

razorbum

I'm new here sorry.

I'm a fan of Hamilton yes, but being objective, I think that PM is wrong because he was already off the track and should have taken control of the car the moment he went off. Hamilton did nothing wrong by sticking to his racing line and PM should have backed off when Hamilton clearly had priority. PM lost control over the kerb because he was still trying to push Hamilton off even after going off track. By the time he realised Hamilton was not giving way, it was too late.

But if Hamilton had realised that PM was off the track, he should have braked and PM would have to give the position back, since he overtook by cutting driving off track and cutting the track short. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

GrizzleBoy
GrizzleBoy

If Hamilton had braked, Maldonado would have just ended up going straight on and/or losing control anyway given that he actually had no impact on steering the car once he committed to rejoining where he decided he would.

razorbum

GrizzleBoy wrote:If Hamilton had braked, Maldonado would have just ended up going straight on and/or losing control anyway given that he actually had no impact on steering the car once he committed to rejoining where he decided he would.
Sorry what I meant was that the moment PM went off, if Hamilton had realised it, he could have given the position to PM knowing that it was an invalid overtake. But then again it wouldn't be Hamilton style to do so haha.

I guess he was just focused on taking the best line while saving his tires at that moment that's all.

beelsebob
beelsebob

razorbum wrote:
GrizzleBoy wrote:If Hamilton had braked, Maldonado would have just ended up going straight on and/or losing control anyway given that he actually had no impact on steering the car once he committed to rejoining where he decided he would.
Sorry what I meant was that the moment PM went off, if Hamilton had realised it, he could have given the position to PM knowing that it was an invalid overtake. But then again it wouldn't be Hamilton style to do so haha.

I guess he was just focused on taking the best line while saving his tires at that moment that's all.
The interesting thing is I suspect this is one of few ways Hamilton could have got third – I would bet that PM wouldn't cede the position to him after that, and would have got penalised the place after the race.

andartop
andartop

beelsebob wrote:The interesting thing is I suspect this is one of few ways Hamilton could have got third – I would bet that PM wouldn't cede the position to him after that, and would have got penalised the place after the race.
You never know; we've seen off track overtaking being accepted by the stewards this year! :lol:
The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. H.P.Lovecraft

SeijaKessen

beelsebob wrote:
razorbum wrote:

The interesting thing is I suspect this is one of few ways Hamilton could have got third – I would bet that PM wouldn't cede the position to him after that, and would have got penalised the place after the race.
Hamilton would not have been doing any overtakes on Maldonado on those tires.

Raptor22
Raptor22

chaps, watch the race again. Raikonnen did the same to Hamilton in the same place a lap earlier. He backed out of it and overtook Hammy a few corners later.

The next lap Maltrap tries the same thing Raikonnen did and drives straight into Hammy.

Then rewind further to every Maldo shot. You will see him weaving toward the car he is overtaking or that is overtaking him. Schumacher gave him a very wide berth while overtaking that silly twaddle stick on the penultimate lap. I mean trying to hold off Schumacher and Webber without a front wing attached.........did he really hope for success...?

He got off lightly from the stewards too.

Make no mistake, I thnk Maldo has talent and if he calms down he'll be the next best to Aayrton to come out of South America in a while. Talent is there but the brain is not engaged

JimClarkFan
JimClarkFan

Raptor22 wrote: Make no mistake, I thnk Maldo has talent and if he calms down he'll be the next best to Aayrton to come out of South America in a while. Talent is there but the brain is not engaged
Interesting that since the start of the thread, or around the same time this thread was created, opinion has completely changed on Maldonardo. Forma;ly a pay driver only in F1 because he has a big sponsorship behind him, to now being the next best thing to come from South America since Senna. Quite the turn around!

myurr
myurr

SeijaKessen wrote:
beelsebob wrote:
razorbum wrote:Sorry what I meant was that the moment PM went off, if Hamilton had realised it, he could have given the position to PM knowing that it was an invalid overtake. But then again it wouldn't be Hamilton style to do so haha.

Hamilton would not have been doing any overtakes on Maldonado on those tires.
Probably best to understand what the guys are saying before trying to poo poo it. I'll try and spell it out:

1. Maldonado tries to overtake Hamilton, but Hamilton holds the racing line with Maldonado running wide off track.
2. Maldonado tries to take the inside line over the kerb but this time Hamilton gives him room and lets him past by moving to the right of the track to avoid him.
3. Maldonado drives to the end of the race in third position but McLaren protest the overtake.
4. The stewards give him a 20 second time penalty after the race for overtaking whilst running off the track thus giving the place back to Hamilton (presuming he didn't get passed by anyone else).

Personally I don't think Hamilton could have seen Maldonado from the angle he came back on to the track to hit him, so I doubt he could have done this. But it is an interesting suggestion.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

Since this thread has only served to discuss the racing accident with Hamilton as of late, I have locked it as to direct this topic to the European GP thread. And this is because it is really difficult to follow the same topic in two different threads.

This thread will be reopened soon but it will not be to continue the accident merry-go-round.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

peanutaxis
peanutaxis

Pastor Maldonado

Someone needs to *&%# him up.

The number of times that he's got away with it as well, like in Australia this year when he purposefully barged into Grosjean, breaking his suspension, who was trying to come around the outside on one of the 90 degree turns at the end of the Melbourne circuit. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azUFDntEcBk

They should give him a one race ban next time. That'd get his attention.

*?%^