How has safety in Formula One improved since 1994?

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

In your opinion which is the most important aspect of safety in Formula One?

Poll ended at 30 Apr 2012, 17:05

Car Engineering/Design
36%
Safety Car
No votes
Safety Flags
2%
Track Safety
31%
Car regulations
31%
Driver Training
No votes
None of the above
No votes

Total votes: 61

DEVO

Re: How has safety in Formula One improved since 1994?

As much as safety has improved, there has been some luck in some of the more spectacular crashes. Weber's and Villenueve's crashes where they got air could have been worst had they left the track or hit the a barrier at a different angle. In Villenueve's case I believe a marshal died. No doubt the cars and tracks played a huge role in the drivers walking away, but a part of me believe there was a bit of luck too.

kalinka

Kubica's accident in Canada shows how much track safety is important. Not because it worked, because it didn't. It showed what happens if you hit a concrete wall without protection. It wasn't a track safety flaw IMHO, because he hit the wall in the totally unexpected place. That's when the car safety comes into play, because when everything else fails, it's the last thing that can save your life. Track safety played the role in Massa's incident too. It was a big impact when he hit the tyre barriers unconscious, almost without braking. No way he could escape without those tyre barriers and large runoff area. So everything matters at the end. It's just the type of the incident that determines which safety regulation plays the biggest role.

FormulaOneExP

Thanks people, really good stuff here and it's opened my eyes to a lot of things i wouldn't previously of noticed or known.

Appreciated