2013 Argentinian Grand Prix

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.
bettonracing
bettonracing

Re: 2013 Argentinian Grand Prix

^2nd!

jordangp

By the looks of the roads, that section near the roundabout, goes very narrow, to what appears a single lane road. Surely this can't be used in F1? The roundabout itself is quite wide, but the entrance and exit, appears too narrow to me.

jordangp

I found some more pictures, courtesy of http://infintegp.blogspot.co.uk

From these images, it looks as if there plans to be a tunnel from turn 2 to the turn 3 chicane, a la Monaco.
It also looks as if they are planning to extend the land, into the sea, for Turns 3, 4 & 5, as currently this area of land does not exist,from looking at Google Maps, although this may be an old image.

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

What a shame, GT1 has left Potrero de los Funes and now F1 will go to some cheesy street circuit in a marina.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

Roland Ehnström

Have to agree with mx_tifoso, Potrero de los Funes would have been so much better, just look at it:

WhiteBlue

mx_tifoso wrote:What a shame, GT1 has left Potrero de los Funes and now F1 will go to some cheesy street circuit in a marina.
+1

No more street races! They should better keep Korea. I understand that this isn't done and dusted yet.
Formula One's fundamental ethos is about success coming to those with the most ingenious engineering and best .............................. organization, not to those with the biggest budget. (Dave Richards)

mx_tifoso
mx_tifoso

True, this isn't a sealed deal just yet but knowing the trends for marina based street circuits this can't be far from reality.

F1 needs something special, to set it apart from the usual locations. Kind of like LMS has Le Mans.
Forum guide: read before posting

"You do it, then it's done." - Kimi Räikkönen

Por las buenas soy amigo, por las malas soy campeón.

jordangp

I agree, time should be spent on making sure Potrero de los Funes, rather than organising and funding a brand new street circuit. Better for the fans, better for the drivers, and easier for organisers, locals etc.

N12ck

jordangp wrote:I agree, time should be spent on making sure Potrero de los Funes, rather than organising and funding a brand new street circuit. Better for the fans, better for the drivers, and easier for organisers, locals etc.
+1 street circuits lack overtaking oppertunities, and isnt as good of a spectacle
Budding F1 Engineer

Caito
Caito

mx_tifoso wrote:What a shame, GT1 has left Potrero de los Funes and now F1 will go to some cheesy street circuit in a marina.
I'm from Argentina. Potrero de los funes is really an incredible circuit. It's a street circuit in case you don't know. Friday before the race you still go with your car, such an amazing place. Class B circuit, needs a lot to get to class A and would ruin a lot of its magic and the landscape. Remember that's a touristic lake all year but for 3 weekends.

And, BTW, FIA GT is listed as coming this year again: november 26.

I totally hate another race circuit, we have some good tracks here that could be updated to bring F1, the location is a 140% political thing. Woud go anyways just to hear the sound. The same reason I'll try to go to the fia GT. All other race series sound ---, so I have to remember the good sound for the rest of the year.
Come back 747, we miss you!!

jdlive
jdlive

N12ck wrote:
jordangp wrote:I agree, time should be spent on making sure Potrero de los Funes, rather than organising and funding a brand new street circuit. Better for the fans, better for the drivers, and easier for organisers, locals etc.
+1 street circuits lack overtaking oppertunities, and isnt as good of a spectacle
For real? I find street circuits much more exciting to watch, they give a much greater speed sensation than the big stretched out circuits. Watching grand prix's both in real life or on TV on big circuits like Spa and Monza is boring because the cars are too slow for big circuits. More street circuits please!
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

jdlive
jdlive

Roland Ehnström wrote:Have to agree with mx_tifoso, Potrero de los Funes would have been so much better, just look at it:

[img]http://img504.imageshack.us/img504/9650 ... s3.jpg[img]
N I C E
Last edited by Richard on 10 Apr 2012, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed image quoted from post above
"There is a credit card with the Ferrari logo, issued by Santander, which gives the scuderia a % of purchases made with the card...

I would guess that such a serious amount of money would allow them to ignore the constant complains of a car that was nowhere near as bad as their #1 driver tried to sell throughout the season.

Heck, a car on which Massa finishes in the podium or has to lift so that his teammate finishes ahead (As we saw often in the final races of the year) is, by no means, a "bad" car."

Belatti
Belatti

As Caito said, its a Political matter to use that circuit in that city. To bring F1 to Argentina: first, Potrero wont happen because its limitations and FIA would have to do a safety exeption like in Monaco. Second, Mar del Plata marina street circuit building and dismantling would be a waste of money. Third, what would make much more sense is to bring back old Buenos Aires track to its Level A standard.
Now its in a shamless state of abandonment and not even the main series of Argentina race there. There is a version that, because its inside the city limits, the intention is to "destroy" it and use that expensive land for commercial purposes.
Investing in renewing the B.A. track would not only bring F1 to a proper track, but also left some important infraestructure for our local series.

Plus, if they use the old layout number 15, we wont talk much about how exiting is Eau Rouge or 130R...
"You need great passion, because everything you do with great pleasure, you do well." -Juan Manuel Fangio

"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication and competence." -Ayrton Senna

Mr.S
Mr.S

This is too dangerous. There are very few run-off areas. What happens when a rookie like Pic screws ups?? Does he land straight into the water??

Is the water turbulent?? What are the nature of the thunderstorms??? Apart from the fear of flooding,there are other major concerns around it. I am not so sure.

The track looks very long. Another Spa time long track. 40 odd Lap Race

Maelstrom
Maelstrom

Mr.S wrote:This is too dangerous. There are very few run-off areas. What happens when a rookie like Pic screws ups?? Does he land straight into the water??

Is the water turbulent?? What are the nature of the thunderstorms??? Apart from the fear of flooding,there are other major concerns around it. I am not so sure.

The track looks very long. Another Spa time long track. 40 odd Lap Race
I'm sure they will look into safety if/when the race will be put on the calender.