Codemasters F1 2011 - F1Technical Leagues

Post here all non technical related topics about Formula One. This includes race results, discussions, testing analysis etc. TV coverage and other personal questions should be in Off topic chat.

What platform do you own this game for?

Xbox 360
13%
Playstation 3
50%
Windows (Steam)
38%

Total votes: 24

Giblet

Re: Codemasters F1 2011 - F1Technical Leagues

We don't really need three threads yet, but if you guys want to appoint 3 people I'll add their names beside the system they want to gather people for.

Once we have a person for each platform (assuming there is interest for each) we can open new threads for the dedicated platforms by each.

Right now I am assuming

- Xbox360 - ajdavison2
- PS3 -
- PC -

Let me know what you guys want, and who is interested in administering the series

We already need to catch up 2 races, which is great for the 2-3 week breaks.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

ajdavison2

We can come to agreements on the details, length of race weekend, driver aids, etc etc. I think obviously people have work commitments and stuff so the best time would probably be weekends, maybe short race weekend, so 1 practise, qually, then a race, as much as I would enjoy doing full race distances, I wouldn't be able to fit it in. so I think 20-30% distance would be good, that way there is still an element of strategy, while keeping the races reasonably short, a 30% race on a long track such as Silverstone can only take about 25 minutes.

ParanoiD

I'm in!
I am on PC

20-30% of race distance is good.
Ay Carumba!

NathanOlder

Yeah 20-30% is fine. Id say 30% is better. As 20% round Spa is like 8/9 laps, not much of a race. Longer the better for me.

PS3 here. As for driver aids and bits, they can all be banned so no one can cheat. We just need to agree on the rules. As for times to play, Sunday Evening is good for me.

But im sure i can shuffle things around when it comes to F1 :-)
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

ESPImperium

PS3 for me. Ill race when i can, whitch will be a couple times a season tops.

Look forward to seeing me in a cloud of tyre smoke as i am a pad racer, i just cant drive a sim with a wheel yet i can drive a car in the real world. Another reason im in a cloud of tyre smoke is all down to use of slight TC, just enough to sort me out and bring the car to me. However if i have to drive with no TC, manual gears is a must as thats the only way i can drive without TC. As for KERS and DRS, i havnt spent enough time with them for me to be confy with them, but if they are there ill use them.

I prefer half race distances or more, just to make me get into a groove and start to compete against the clock and get faster over time. However 30% is a decent length, almost like a sprint race for me.

PS3 draft rules:

Race Distance 30%
Traction Control & Stability Controls: Banned
KERS & DRS: Active
Gears: Manual
Mechanichal Failures: On
Tyre Sim: Realistic

ajdavison2

Interesting point ESP, I find it very hard to get used to the gears when on manual, not the changing persay, but which gear to be in at the right time, so I tend to drive auto.

Lycoming

For me, downshifting is instinctive; I don't remember what gear I use for what corner except the obvious (ie. 1st gear at the hotel hairpin). I instinctively judge the number of downshifts I need by the length of the braking zone. Its hard to explain but, for example, by the length of the braking zone, I can feel that I need 4 downshifts for les combes. And this works, for me at least, in any driving game.

ajdavison2

Well you are a more talented driver than me haha! When we make the lobbies we can specify people to allow manual or auto gears, I think manual will be faster so it doesn't provide an advantage if some people are racing auto.

NathanOlder

Looking good for PS3 users. Im happy with the Manual gear, No ABS , No TC, No Assists. "Racing the way it autta be"
GoLandoGo
Lewis v2.0
King George has arrived.

New found love for GT racing with Assetto Corsa Competizione on PS5 & PC

bhall

Lycoming wrote:For me, downshifting is instinctive; I don't remember what gear I use for what corner except the obvious (ie. 1st gear at the hotel hairpin). I instinctively judge the number of downshifts I need by the length of the braking zone. Its hard to explain but, for example, by the length of the braking zone, I can feel that I need 4 downshifts for les combes. And this works, for me at least, in any driving game.
That works for me in much the same way. I may never know exactly which gear I'm using, but every corner has a count and rhythm in my head with regard to its required downshifts.

EDIT: I'm really wishing I still had a PS3 right now.

ESPImperium

All my auto box settings are custom so the manual advantage over a auto is not so large, however i probably loose about a tenth of a second a lap at tops with my settings.

Im probably going to look into a new control layout soon as i use the analogue pad is loosing me a around half a second a lap.

bhall

I'm impressed if you only lose 0.5 seconds per lap while using a stock controller without TCS or ABS. I've never had a wheel, and I found that I could only be competitive on the hardest settings with those aids enabled. Otherwise, there's just not enough finesse.

I looked into this before I got rid of my PS3. It's ugly, but it looks like it might just do the trick.
(And I'm definitely starting to think it might be worthwhile to pick up a new console.)

Giblet

Get a good wheel.

There is a $30 dollar box you can buy to use a Logitech G27 or Momo with an Xbox 360, so you are not limited to that atrocious Xbox one.
Before I do anything I ask myself “Would an idiot do that?” And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing. - Dwight Schrute

Deany_t

I use the logitec gt wheel for my gaming its very hard to use manual gears on f1 tho cus it only got buttons and not proper paddles. will have to practise abit i guess. i can do ok with traction and abs off tho. Monaco is so fun

beelsebob

Personally, I have two problems with manual gearing...
1) When driving, I rely heavily on feel to determine what gear I should be in, so I struggle in games.
2) I don't have space for wheel and pedals, so I only have a wheel, that uses the (analogue) flappy paddles for throttle and break. That makes it near impossible to use manual gears, because you're trying to ballance the throttle/break, steer, and push the up/downshift button all at once with the same hand. The pushing of the gear shift button destroys any fine control over the break/throttle.